THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    IF YOU could bring back an extinct specie for hunting...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IF YOU could bring back an extinct specie for hunting...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
ANYTHING that walked the earth before could be brought back to roam for fair chase hunting... WHAT would you choose and what would you use to hunt it?
T-rex, Bison, Saber tooth, Mastedon... maybe a litle high grass excitement hunting VelocaRaptors...?? redefine DG hunting. Big Grin

every now and then we need a flight of fantasy to keep the "what ifs" alive.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt-- Irish Elk.

megalaceros giganteus

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
MAMOTH Think of the ivory you could get off one of them!!!!!!! clap

Also you could hunt them in the midwest USA all the way up to Alberta where they lived. No need for a 30 hour plane ride.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I agree, the Irish Elk and Woolly Mammoth.

And also the Giant Cave Bear.

And Smilodon Fatalis, the Saber Toothed Cat.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Easy: T-Rex.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
The ones caused by crazy over hunting.
Merriam's elk and the Eastern elk.
California grizzly too.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mastodon, and the T-Rex.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I"ll vote for T-rex as well! I know lots of ideal places to introduce them!(although they may force me to rethink my loyalty to the .243)
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with the T-Rex. Eatimus Maximus!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
T-Rex the the pteranadon for a new kind of wing shooting. As far a extinct fish go, the megaladon would get my vote. What a catch.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a wonderful old time radio program about a time machine where they took you back to dinosaur days to hunt !!! The funny part was the hunter wanted the biggest trophy like a T-Rex.But the PH asks if he has room in his house for a head mount .He then explains that he can find a smaller animal that will be as challenging to hunt but the mount will fit in the house !! Eeker

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Either the saber tooth cat or the American Lion.

But it would also need more prey species so we would have to add the Stag Moose.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The meat on a mamoth would probably be better than a T-Rex...But i'm leaning toward the Irish Elk.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The very first animal which came ot mind was the Mastadon, then the Sabre Tooth kitty, and the T Rex showed promise. That said IdahoVandal cured me of that proving a picture is worth a thousand words. No doubt what so ever, the Irish Stag would be my number one...

Great topic Lawcop!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
passenger pigeon. think Argentina in the Old South.

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
There is a wonderful old time radio program about a time machine where they took you back to dinosaur days to hunt !!! The funny part was the hunter wanted the biggest trophy like a T-Rex.But the PH asks if he has room in his house for a head mount .He then explains that he can find a smaller animal that will be as challenging to hunt but the mount will fit in the house !! Eeker

There was a story similar to that in one of the really good old timey comic books where a guy gets to go back to hunt a T-rex. he is cautioned to not step off the prescribed trail for any reason. of course the T-rex charges and h in order to dodge the ebast, he goes off the trail stepping on and crushing a plant. When he and the PH return to the present time, intelligent ants rule the earth.
As to what I would hunt, when the question was first asked, the Irish Elk jumped into my head right off the bat. here in Tucson, there is the International Wildlife Museum, and they have a mock up of an Irish Elk and the damned thing is huge. I don't know if the rack is real or a mock up, but what a fantastic animal. They also have a mock up of a wooly mammoth. I guess he'd be number two on the list.
I'm not sure I'd bring back Velociraptors. They'd be about as welcome as the wolves are in Montana and Idaho right now and a hell of a lot more hazardous. T-rex? Who the hell has room for a full body mount? animal
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
so when supposdely did the irish elk and the stag moose become extinct ?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Velociraptor

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
Eastern Elk and Wood Land Bison. I saw a story on History Detectives last night about a now extinct bison that was much larger with MUCH larger straight horns in the plains states. This was 5000 years ago and was hunted with a spear thrower or atalatal(sp?).

Black bears in Alabama would be nice.

Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
so when supposdely did the irish elk and the stag moose become extinct ?

Stag Moose about 11,500 years ago
http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/larson/cervalces.html

Irish Elk about 13,000 years ago
http://www.smouse.force9.co.uk/history.htm

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd like to see the Grizzly bear re-introduced to Griffith Park in Los Angeles. Maybe wolves there too ...

Wink

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Hell, I'd be happy with wild boar in New Brunswick clap

I'd like to see us get woodland caribau back as well.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HMMM one of the problems of free ranging T-Rex, what if one accidently gets scared and runs into a city like deer sometimes do?

ALTHOUGH
it is a GREAT excuse for getting that new double rifle in 40mm. After all a fast second shot may be necesary.

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what about hitler?or stalin?make a hell of a shoulder mount

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ankylosaurus or triceratops. Or how about a Megaraptor..

http://www.dinosauria.com/gallery/joe/megaraptor.jpg

Clone them and drop um off in the middle east.. stir Big Grin

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the best idea yet Drop a few of the Raptors and lions and all the greatest predators RIGHT IN the middle of the insane Middle east Feeding grounds ! after we get our boys out first ! Bona a petite !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that the Irish Elk and the Stag Moose were separate species, as they were of similar size and appearance. Perhaps, since they seem to have been contemporaries, they were related similar to today's Old World Red Deer and New World Wapiti? At any rate, I'd love to have either show up on my whitetail lease. cheers

The American Lion was much larger, and despite the lack of outsized inscisors, a much more formidable cat than the Saber Tooth (smilodon). But again, either would make for interesting blind-sitting.

If you've never visited the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, it's truly a stop worth your while.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd also like to add the Giant Short-Faced Bear.

In Griffith Park, of course.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAPTORS would be interesting to hunt...
and T-rex would be a blast..
BUT
could you imagine having to tear out the house walls and raise the rooff so you could bring in your Irish stag head home as a full shoulder mount?

Gotta go with the T-Rex.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, I can tell it is not hunting season yet with these topics on the board.But in good taste I too am bored and will play along,Sabre tooth,or any of the large toothey dinos

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Mastodon......

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'd bring back the Mastadon, the sabretoothed cat, the giant Cave Bear, and the Alligator is still here! Then I wouldn't have to fly 15 thousand miles in a cramped airplane to Africa, I could just hunt on my grand father's ranch! thumb

jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt T-REX.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ideas. Here's another North American critter long gone: "The Big Bend Pterodactyl is estimated to have a wingspan of thirty-eight feet."

What the heck would you shoot one with?

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
Lots of good ideas. Here's another North American critter long gone: "The Big Bend Pterodactyl is estimated to have a wingspan of thirty-eight feet."

What the heck would you shoot one with?

An M-42 mobile AAA tank with a pair of 40MM anti aircraft guns! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
10-gauge goose gun? Just be sure to hit the head!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt the Imperial Wooly Mammoth. After that maybe a Sabre Tooth Cat.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Definitely the Irish Elk, that would really feed the 243/270 arguments for deer.

I believe DNA studies show that the nearest surviving relative to the Irish Elk is the European Fallow Deer.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T-Rex would probably top my list. I'm a little suprised nobody has mentioned Neanderthal. Supposedly they are a different species then human.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After seeing the pictures of the Irish Elk it gets my vote.