THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    anyone had success with the .257 stw?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone had success with the .257 stw?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just wondering if anyone has a rifle chambered in this caliber, whats your set-up, what do you use it for deer antelope etc.? thanks

<DFC>
posted
I have a 257STW. It is an awesome rifle for varmints and with the right bullets it will kill deer at very long range. 26" barrel, I like 100gr corelok with 80 gr of RL22 @ 3750 out of my rifle for varmints. 120's for deer and whatever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info, i was worried that the question was offensive or something

<Mike M>
posted
In a word -- overbore - overbore -- OVER-BORE

[This message has been edited by Mike M (edited 10-18-2001).]

<DFC>
posted
Overbore? so what if it is? It will shoot so flat that I break out laughing, when I hold dead on a varmint form 100 to 300 yards and hit him every time and it don't take all day for the bullet to "arrive" Overbore is a outdated term anyway, its the results that really count now-a-days pilgrim.

<phurley>
posted
If I didn't already have a .257 Wby I would centainly give it a whirl. I have a 7mm STW, and a .358 STA, it would just complete the collection. As you can see I like them flat and fast. Good shooting.

------------------

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I have a couple .25-06s. The Weatherby is not that much more faster. The STW is. I want one!

------------------
To be old and wise.....first you have to be young and stupid!

one of us
posted Hide Post
let me know who builds a good one on a 700 action and what am i looking at spending?

<Mike M>
posted
"Outdated term" -- Did someone change the laws of physics and fail to tell me?

<sure-shot>
posted
Mike M, So do you use a 22 rimfire for all your shooting? Let's see now less than 10gr of powder pushing a 40gr bullet at around 1000fps mv. Why all centerfire rifle cartidges must be overbore then right? "Overbore" a term thought up by some anti-magnum proverbial dweeb gunwriter who felt he was an expert because he lucked into a contract for one of the gun rags. sure-shot

<Mike M>
posted
sure-shot

In answer to your question - No, but I do love 22 rimfires - who wouldn't. I also own rifles in calibers that are overbore. However, if I were building a varmit/deer rifle I wouldn't select the 25 STW. I think it is a little extreme but that's just my opinion.

A cartridge being overbore is a "real" condition and not one that exists only in the minds of "dweeb gun writers". It gives rise to some concerns for some (not all) shooters.
1. Accuracy is often times adversely affected. (If this weren't true benchrest shooters would be shooting 22 and 6 mm RUMs rather than PPCs)
2. It takes a disproportionately larger amount of powder to get equal velocity for a given bullet weight.

Here's is an interesting comparison we did with two rifles. Both were Rem. actions / Hart barrels. One was a 24" 257 Ackley the other a 25" 257 Weatherby. The loads were at or near max and the most accurate we came up with for each rifle.

Ackley - 85gr bullet; 58gr Rel 19; vel. 3550 fps; 5 shot group .30

Weatherby - 85 gr bullet; 74 gr vvn165; vel 3615 fps; 5 shot group .80

Ackley - 120 gr bullet; 51.5 gr H4831; vel. 3080 fps; 5 shot group .35

Weatherby - 120 gr bullet; 67 gr Rl 22; vel. 3220 fps; 5 shot group .45

If you give the Ackley a conservative 25 fps for the 1" shorter barrel you can see that there is very little difference in velocity between the two especially with lighter bullets.

[This message has been edited by Mike M (edited 10-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mike M (edited 10-29-2001).]