New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree Stands
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
In thinking about what to do different this season for moose from last, me thinks a tree stand would greatly help, as the area is mostly flat forest interspersed with lakes, and getting up a bit to glass would be a big assett.

That said, I don't know didly about treestands, and there look to be even more choices then camo patterns!

Climbing stands, pro/con? With non-climbers how do you get up/down?

I'd like to be able to set up a stand or two in a couple locations for a week. Light weight will be a big plus, as they'll be brought in a few miles via canoe and portage.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What type trees you have where you hunt will determine whether you can use a lean-up or a climber or need a stand along type.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Spruce, birch and poplar, guessing diameters to be in the 8-16" range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a summit viperXL and don't look back. Best bang for the buck period. Go to there web site @
http://www.summitstands.com/

------------------

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken whitetails from many different tree stands and have placed many clients in tree stands that have never been in one. I would recommend that you look in Cabela's and order a couple of large lock on type stands, especially look for one that rests on a screw in T and then straps on to the tree. Then you can buy a set of climbing sticks which is like a little ladder that you strap to the tree. With this selection you do not have to worry about limbs on the tree. API is one brand I have used but there are several that make a large lock on that you can be comfortable in.

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I have a viper summitt extreme climber, nice stand, very sturdy.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
And don't forget to use a safety belt or harness. Sounds stupid but you'll be amazed when you start talking about them how many people either fall or have had the stand collapse while they are standing on it.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
If you want light weight, Loggy Byou is one of the lightest stands avalible. I personally use a Summit Viper most of the time during rifle and muzzle loading season I like the gun and foot rest. The Loggy byou comes along when I either have a long hike or during archery season I like the weight and it is very open which is better when using a bow. On my viper the rial that surrounds you gets in the way with a bow.

If you only wish to leave the stand in the woods for a week then I would definately use a climbing stand as they will be faster and quieter when you move them and set them back up. Also you can just climb down with them and ,using a cable lock, lock them to a tree. When you return you can just unlock, get in, and climb up and your done. I use lock-on stands when I will be hunting the same spot all season and never move them during that time. They are more "semi-perminant" stands It is more difficult to move from tree to tree. On your question as to how you hang them. You have to tie a rope to them and then to you and climb the tree to the hight you want (I use screw in steps or a stick ladder and a safety belt that doubles as a climbing harness)and pull the stand up with the rope and attatch it to the tree. Not alot of fun. And plus, by the time you add up the equipment you need to climb the tree you are getting close to the same weight AND price of a climber asuming both have the same features. What ever you choose make sure it is a quality stand and invest in a good safety belt. Good luck...JD

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like you can't use a climber on the spruce tree(limbs very low to the ground)& the limbs on the poplar look to be too low (from the photos i've found on the www). What is the bark like on the Birch? you don't want to all of a sudden find yourself sliding down the trunk of the tree because the tree stank wouldn't grip the tree trunk tight enough due to the type of bark. Can any of you Southern guys say PINE tree?

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I have several tree stands, all are climbers. This year I got a new one ( The tree lounge). It is the most comfortable tree stand I have hunted from. Very safe to the saftey harness secures the stand and you.I like it so much I am thinking on selling my others. WWW.treelounge.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, fabricate your own from aluminium stock. Not that hard to do. A bag of tree climbing screws and a small hatchet and you're in business. Even spruce and pine can be climbed if they are big enough, you'll have to lop off some branches though. seems to me I remember seeing tree stand plans somewhere (hunting mag?). Anyone else have more info? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Paul H

I would consider a ladder stand, I used Cabela's el-cheapo model this past year. They are reasonably portable and easy to set-up. The cost is about $75.00. There is no need for screw-in steps and there is minimal noise getting into and out of the stand.

I would NEVER recommend that you build your own stand as has been suggested above; especially a hanging or climbing tree stand. A failure of your homemade stand is many times higher than a failure of a properly engineered and manufactured stand. Unless you have plans which have been prepared by a professional engineer, I would be hesitant to trust any plans for treestands which are found on the internet or in magazines. The liabiltiy associated with the drawings would be high, and you should expect to pay for the plans. Any plans which you recieve for free are likely worth the purchase price, or less.

cwilson

Posts: 713 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cwilson:
Paul H

I would NEVER recommend that you build your own stand as has been suggested above.

cwilson

To each their own, but I have fabricated a race car chassis that has traveled over 300 mph, and holds the world's record for a 5 liter unblown engine powered car. The car has been raced for 8 seasons now, and no failures. I think I can handle a treestand. I've also been rockclimbing for ~15 years, and am familiar with safety systems.

I did find some plans on the web, just gotta figure out what will work best in the area I'll be hunting.

<jd_1>
posted
Gerber makes a folding hand saw for about $12.00 or so. Light weight and cuts through limbs up to 4" dia. like hot butter. Have had mine for 3 years now and still good and sharp. Just cut them limbs on the way up...JD

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your able to make it "in situ" then I would use spruce or pine. That way the stand will last, and be safe, much longer than if you use birch. I've built quite a few over the years, we use the "stand alone" type almost every time.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have vast experience in the construction of tree houses . This knowledge has served me well in the construction of tree stands. We never really grow up! Just use them for different things. But come to think about it I was sniping the neighborhood felines from my "tree hides" If you are going to leave the stand in ONE place a tree stand/
house is the only way to go. With a roof of course.

------------------
NRA Life member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use several different stands. My favorite climber is a buckshot bigshot. It is the most rock solid climber I have ever used.

I use a sierra saw as you have to have a small saw to use climbers effectively.

I use hangers and climbing sticks also but much prefer the climber.

Hanging stands are the most dangerous stands, esp the hanging part.

------------------
boman

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote