New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf killed in the Big Horn Mtns.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was talking to the government trapper yesterday. He showed me some pics of a black wolf they killed north of Tensleep last week. He thought maybe 90# and black. It had gotten in trouble with killing stock. He wouldn't comment on whether there were more or not. It should be in the paper in a few days.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There's a bunch more wolves in the big horns then is being let on.This past March a game and fish biologist had a trail camera covering a winter kill bull elk.They had multiple wolves eating on it.

Still WYGF is claiming young wolves simply moving through the big horns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they are in denial! Sounds like at least a pack if not more. My son was running lions several years ago and came across three sets of tracks. He talked to the Game Warden in Tensleep, and at that time he confirmed there was three wolves in the area, and he was hoping they would leave..

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same story we're getting in SD too.

Tic toc, just a matter of time for the Black Hills. They will never make it on the prairie though. Not enough places to hide and the ranchers are devout followers of the SSS discipline.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If it was killing livestock, it couldn't have been a wolf. Just ask the greenies... Wink

Seriously, though, I am glad it was taken out, but that one wolf is just the tip of the iceberg.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9358 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 yrs ago, I was camped in the Big Horns elk hunting and heard wolf howls. And I certainly know the difference between them and coyotes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been in the big Horns several times back packing plenty of room for them to expand and multiply.

If there was three a few years ago there are a lot more then that now.

There well be less deer elk and moose now.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I have been in the big Horns several times back packing plenty of room for them to expand and multiply.

If there was three a few years ago there are a lot more then that now.

There well be less deer elk and moose now.

p dog shooter: I have sent you a PM about backpacking.