New
Find
Notify
Tools

On-Line Auctions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do ya'll think about buying a gun on an online auction? Is it safe and reliable-the gun for sale is claimed to have only 10 rounds fired through it. I am suspicious why anyone would sell a gun with that few rounds through it, but he says it is due to a divorce. Is there anything that could be wrong with a virtually brand new gun- less than a year. The gun looks very clean and new in the picture-what do ya'll think? -Nathan

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've purchased a couple from AuctionArms and Gunbroker. So far I haven't been burnt but suggest a couple of things. 1)Read the descriptions and look at the photos very carefully. My experience has been that the seller will ponit out the good points and briefly mention or skirt around any negatives. Also, if there isn't a photo, or better yet photos of both sides....skip the auction; you might not be seeing the other side for a reason. 2) Make sure to check the seller's feedback. 3) Ask questions before you bid. I have a C&R and many auctions involve guns that I know are designated C&R but the seller doesn't. I always make sure he'll accept my license first before I bid, unless he states up front that it's C&R ok.
I think that the above two auction houses do a pretty good job keeping everyone on the up and up, but there's only so much they can do. Ultimately it's up to the buyer and seller to be square with each other. Sometime that squareness can have a few rounded corners. Don't know if this was any help to you or not.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BT100
posted Hide Post
Nathan, I have a FFL and have a very good friend that takes advantage of my license. He is a little eccentric, but will buy a shooter, fondle it, clean it and maybe even shoot it a little and sometimes as little as 10rds. Then gets tired of it and trades it for another. Sometimes trades several of the almost new ones for a really expensive new one. So have a little faith and just to be safe, ask for a 3-day return if it�s not as the seller says it is. Most sellers honor that policy. I have listed many guns that have been shot only just a few times. They are from my friend and he is truly my best customer, but there are those that reap on his adventure. And get an almost new or as new shooter below dealer costs. [Smile]

Posts: 371 | Location: Helena, MT | Registered: 23 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like mentioned above, the 3-day inspection period kinda takes the worry out of it for me. I've never purchased a used gun until I bought one off the net this summer. My experiences have been very positive. I've bought a total of 4 Rem 700s via the net now(2 of which are in the process of being sent to me right now). You can find some pretty good deals if you look around.

Since I like variety and don't reload yet, I've owned very few rifles that I've put more than 250 rounds through with many being sold with less than 100 rounds fired. I'll buy em, try em, get bored, and sell them for something different. As a matter of fact, I've owned some models in the same caliber 2-3 different times. I'm sure there's plenty of shiesters out there looking to unload crap for good $$ but there's also a lot of guys like me who take very good care of their equipment but like variety when it comes to guns. If I were out to scam somebody, I'd rather not do it by selling them a GUN! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
It's really no different than answering an ad in Shotgun News, Gun List or GunsAmerica.com. Read the description carefully, call the seller on the telephone and ask lots of detailed questions, insist on the typical 3 day inspection/return privilege, check the feedback on the seller, and conduct the transaction through a FFL holder (required anyway in most cases) so you have better legal recourse if there is any problem. A tip on bidding: wait until near the end of the auction to bid.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
A tip on bidding: wait until near the end of the auction to bid.

Another tip on bidding: if you find a gun that you really like and there's a phone # listed, call the guy and negotiate a buy right then. No sense letting it get bumped up or sold. They want to move it and a "bird in the hand" for them could save you some $$. I just bought a gun out from under a newly started auction. I had an offer for $25 more from someone who was going to wait to bid. Don't ZZZZzzzzzzz too long!!!!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Chuck66>
posted
Nathan,
I have bought several guns off of gunbroker and have always been satisfied. Read the sellers feedback.
Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought I answered this but don't see it -- I've bought 3 rifles online, 2 were just as advertised, the other was better than advertised.

Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions to make sure you're getting exactly what you wanted, or to take it to a pro during the inspection period when it arrives.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
FWIW
I have bought quite a few guns from auctions, and from gunsamerica (more of a wantad), further, I've litteraly bought hundreds of things through ebay.

CHECK THE FEEDBACK. if it's "understandable" negative... ala broken in shipping, slow email (heck the guy might only be able to read email 2x a week) then you might be okay. If it's a "refused to make it right, not as described" RUN, do not walk.

Also, I'll second the contact the seller, ask lots of questions, ask them from different angles, require a 3 day inspection, return if not what was agreed upon, and leave appropriate feedback. My 376 steyr action came from an auction that I wrote the guy, told him if it's a 36 bolt, i'll take it, and offered him $20 over his asking price. DONE!. Mike's 416 taylor I worked the deal for, and got for less (seems that wanted ads allow for dickering down, and auctions for UP). I've also worked mike's deal for his 602, same story.

If you want *MY* advice, get on ebay, or gunbroker, and seach for smallish stuff. Detail instinsive, and see how it works.

I've only had 2 BAD auctions... One the guy tried to change both the dutch auction price UP and the shipping UP after the sale, and the other there was a total mispresentation on the part of the seller. The dutch auction, the guy tried to get my tossed off ebay for not paying, but I had a postal money order and the knives he shipped, and his initial good feedback. The other one was for a "toy" lathe for my kids.. the seller didn't bother telling me that it had no gears or power switch "does it work?" "oh yeah, listen...whuurrr" He was stabbing bare wires into the wall!!! he refunded 1/2 (as shipping was the same amount)

Oh, yeah, if it goes bad, and you have to send something back, expect to pay shipping on both ends, sorry.

jeffe

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nebraska: Excellent advice.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote