New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you Expect on a $5000 hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Killing or harvesting an Animal a side , what do you expect on a $5000 paid hunt.
Weather is beond anyone control and animal numbers , thats why it's called hunting not shooting. I am talking food ,shelter,ect.

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Depends on locale, terrain, quarry, etc--
big variations due to these factors.
( tent vs cabin, horse vs foot, drop vs guide, etc)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Need more info. For instance, on an elk, or mountain goat hunt, that may buy a tent for the nights, and MRE's with no complaints. For a 3 day whitetail hunt, I'd expect a lot better accommodations.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Species - location -number of days - and trophy potential for area certainly are all factors that would have to be listed before you could have expectations for a $ amount.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I'd expect the same things I'd expect on a $1500.00 hunt. Edible food and competent guides.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd expect the same things I'd expect on a $1500.00 hunt. Edible food and competent guides.

Well Said!

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 day Mule deer Hunt, Cabins , Good guides

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
for $5k and 5 days of mulies- I would expect GOOD food- lots of deer and a legit chance of killing a 180 class buck, but for a price like that in my opinion, I think they should average in the 170's. I agree that weather and animals can play a big part, but for that money and that many days, I know quite a few places where you can expect to go kill a 170-180" deer for that kind of money if you will hunt hard and you will eat very well.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The money is really beside the point. It boils down to what was advertised. Did you see the game they claimed they had and did you get a reasonable chance of taking one?
That's my primary goal.
Next is the guide. Was he capable, did he know the area and did he have good equipment? Was he fun and communicative.
Then way down the list is the accomodations and food. The food would come before accomodations. That will probably change in a few years when I turn 50. LOL

I bring this up in that specific order as I left early on a $17k hunt because I never saw a shooter and the guide had the worst personality I'd come across in a long time. Thankfully, he has been the lone exception in all the years I've hunted with guides.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I just wanted to see if it was me . I just finished a Mule deer hunt in Utah. The Outfitters were good at what they do. The cabins were very nice . I saw lots of Deer in the 150 class , we had 3 1/2 day of High winds rain and snow. The Food , no breakfast in 5 days Lunch was a sandwitch some days , Dinner was ok some days and we did get taken out to eat a few times. The last day of the Hunt we got to eat at 5:30 pm. I did not complain until I got home . I have my wife to be with me . Did't want a confrontation.
Here is what I say , these people are so disorganized , lost my info he had to call the day before we were to leave to get the info. Hunted 3 days without a license ( I did'nt know) untill he said oh by the way here is your license. No cook , hardly any food . Crazy driving up and down steep Mountains .
I did kill a rough scored 172" Mule deer on the fourth Morning. Did not Hunt that after noon . Raided the refrigerator while they were gone , cleaned up my mess and did't tell a sole.
They though I was making a big deal about the food . I just wanted to see if someone thought like I do. $5000 I want good food and a good place to sleep. I got Half of that equation.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
You expect to drop five grand and have a reasonable opportunity to hunt the animal/animals you have contracted for. If you are courteous and help full you should be treated the same. The end

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Blaser93,

I would agree. Regardless of the price of a hunt (unless it is explicitly stated that meals are not included) you should get three reasonable meal per day.

That doesn't mean they have to be gourmet but three reasonable meals that are nutrituos and actually healthy. I have been just as disapponted on hunts when there idea of breakfast was your choice of those huge Walmart Blueberry or Banana Nut Muffins that are 500 calories a piece and 50% fat.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
please give the name of the outfitter.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, do please tell us who this was. Not to bash him but to warn others about what they will get.

My answer to the question you asked would really depend on the game animal. If it was $5k for a Texas pig hunt, I'd better be eating gourmet each night for two weeks with accomodations like the Four Seasons. On the other hand, if that was an elk hunt, I might not ought to be expecting much.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
No matter what I am purchasing I expect a commensurate amount of goods/services for my money. In other words, I would expect $5000 worth of a hunt. The split could vary between goods(food)and services (guiding) but I would want to feel that I got my moneys worth either way.

Everyone will have their own perception of what a good value is.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I get a good animal taken through ethical and legal means, I am happy. I am not prone to gripe about food. Hell, I think Africa has the worst food on the planet, but everyone raves about it. The meat is always overdone. No one knows what rare means in Africa.

But like I said, I don't go hunting to eat. Maybe that is why I weigh 145 lbs.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It impossible to tell if you got what you paid for with out seeing how the hunt was advertised.You say your guides were good, cabin nice and you harvested a nice buck. Your only complaint was the food.

My guess is food is a 2-3 (out of a possible 5) on average deer hunts unless your staying at a fancy lodge. On my last guided deer hunt last year we eat at Denny's every morning!( #1)
No lunch and we eat dinner late every night. I saw 3 buck one that was maybe 130" in 5 days of hunting. I had a good time. If I took my wife she would have hated every minute!
It shows two people can go on the same hunt and have totally different options.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's impossible to tell if you got what you paid for with out seeing how the hunt was advertised.You say your guides were good,cabin nice and you harvested a nice buck. Your only complaint was the food.

My guess is food is a 2-3 (out of a possible 5) on average deer hunts unless your staying at a fancy lodge. On my last guided deer hunt last year we eat at Denny's at 4am every morning!( #1) No lunch and we eat dinner late every night. I saw 3 buck one that was maybe 130" in 5 days of hunting. I had a good time. If I took my wife she would have hated every minute! It shows two people can go on the same hunt and have totally different options.

Robert Johnson

one of us
posted Hide Post
For that price, you should have consistent good quality meals--period. A good animal taken can take some of the sting out, but the point on that is, your hunt should be good--quality of service--in which I include food--and a fair amount of oppurtunities at a good representitive animal--becuase your hunt should be a good experience in the event you don't take an animal as well!

For a Mulie at 5K I know folks who have had much higher quality, licensing being fouled up is just plain unacceptable--period.

Glad you got a nice buck--and that nobody went to jail!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$5,000 grand seems a little stiff for a Mule Deer Hunt.However you got a very nice Buck.If I have a dry place to sleep,good guides and the food makes a Turd,I am good to go. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, the question is one of presentation and expectation. I expect the hunt to be exactly as represented, no more and no less.

Certain things should be a given though. A good attitude from the outfitter/guide, an honest effort to do a good job, etc. Even a non-gourmet outfit should be able to make a decent hamburger.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
In a free range hunt, where you can not promise a given trophy or a single deer at all, the ONLY thing that you can and MUST provide for sure is good meals and good beverage to your client !!!!

The buck may be there or not, but the food ???? Roll Eyes

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Blaser93,

I would agree. Regardless of the price of a hunt (unless it is explicitly stated that meals are not included) you should get three reasonable meal per day.

That doesn't mean they have to be gourmet but three reasonable meals that are nutrituos and actually healthy. I have been just as disapponted on hunts when there idea of breakfast was your choice of those huge Walmart Blueberry or Banana Nut Muffins that are 500 calories a piece and 50% fat.
What he said...

The question is, knowing what to expect, if everything was the same, I mean everything, would you use them again?

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To finish, This was Chase 'n Outfitters of Utah.
It is run by Brothers Chase and Dustan Hinkins
they have a web site , most of the deer on the site were not taken on their land .
They are good hunters and Guides but , they are so unorganized that is why little food ,License not purchased before the hunt. They Told my booking agent it was all inclusive
At the end of the Hunt he tryed to charge me $300 for a $65 License. He had not paper work with him , I had to give him my Info the day before I arrived because they lost it.
I wrote them an Email and said I would run things for them next year for 3 days of hunting and a License. Well all he said was Sorry you don't have a good time.
They don't know how to cape a deer out so we had to take it to their Taxidermist and I still don't have it back one month later , all he had to do is flesh it and box it up and send it to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of opinions here -I like good food on the hunt and am happy to be the camp cook - This year 3 man elk hunt on public land for about $120 each food cost for 7 days we had sandwich and snacks for lunch in the field. Breakfast either rolls or toast with 3 days of bacon/ham/ sausage and eggs.

Dinners: ham and potatoes, enchiladas, Beef stew, shrimp and tilapia, Spaghetti, Elk steak and potatoes.

This year was in a trailer with stove and oven but we can do it outside with dutch oven etc. We killed 3 elk between us and nobody spent 1/2 of what you paid for your Mule Deer.

I agree your outfitter didn't get it right - but food isn't very important to some hunters. And you have to know what you are doing to be able to do food right without taking too much time away from your primary activity.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I expect whatever I was promised regardless of the price of the hunt. If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just some random thoughts here.

What kind of license were you getting for $65.00, that the outfitter was trying to charge you $300.00 for?

From what I have been seeing, hunts in Utah seem to be going at premium prices.

Also, from your info at the bottom of your posts, as a Non-Resident of Utah, how were you able to get such a cheap license fee, especially for Mule Deer?

Not taking sides here or defending the Outfitter, but it sounds like your definition of a hunt, and the Outfitters definition of a hunt are poles apart.

From my limited experience, it seems like many times, Hunters concepts of a hunt and Outfitters concepts of a hunt are not exactly the same.

That is where open lines of communications between all concerned are so important. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
same thing I'd expect on a $50K hunt.

enough food, functional and appropriate shelter, courtesy, respect, and a guide that really worked to get me on game.

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a mule deer hunt on private land I would expect a chance at a 200" deer.

A hunt like this sold for $1100 at the Sportsmen for Wildlife banquet locally. Check that. I'm not sure of the accomodations, but the tag was on private land that you could expect to kill a 200" buck. That's what matters to me. If the deer are just a small part of what you want, you could probably get an out of state public tag and hire the best outfitter with a chef, or stay at a resort in the area and come out money ahead...

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
For a mule deer hunt on private land I would expect a chance at a 200" deer.

A hunt like this sold for $1100 at the Sportsmen for Wildlife banquet locally. Check that. I'm not sure of the accomodations, but the tag was on private land that you could expect to kill a 200" buck. That's what matters to me. If the deer are just a small part of what you want, you could probably get an out of state public tag and hire the best outfitter with a chef, or stay at a resort in the area and come out money ahead...

I'm assuming you meant to say $11,000, sounds about like what I have seen at those types of dinners too. of course, if it was $1,100, I'll take two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a misprint....$1100