THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wool Pants or Wool Bibs -- Montana, November
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wool Pants or Wool Bibs -- Montana, November
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
I hate decisions like this. I'm trying to decide whether to take wool pants with suspenders or bib overalls.

Situation: Bozeman area, horseback transportation, elk and mule deer hunting.

Basically, another excuse to order from Cabela's -- not that I actually need an excuse, mind you.

Any preferences for one over the other?

Thanks, as always.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind the extra cost , I'd take the bibs . They come with their own suspenders . Plus bib style is little warmer , in my experience , and you may need it. I hunted that area back in 1973 in late November , and I don't believe it ever got above ten below , with the lows at 20 below or a little colder every night that week .

have fun , Russell . [Big Grin]

[ 11-06-2002, 07:12: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bibs. They'll keep your chest, kidneys and lower back warmer.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I realize an 'N' of '2' isn't very representative of the population -- but this isn't a statistics test, so screw it. Bibs it is.

The Filsons are out, they only make pygmy bibs unless you custom order, and I'm just about out of time and money at this point. I'll do the Woolrich Men's Malone Heavyweight Bib Overalls. They're only ("only?") $99.95, and Cabela's has NEVER let me down on delivery times when "time" was a factor. Not that I'm panicking, mind you. I mean, Hellfire, I've got LOTS of time until NEXT MONDAY!!! [Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!]

Thanks, guys. Really.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
A big vote here for bibs from me. Your shirt tails will never fall out of bibs or ride up. Woolrich is my personal choice as well. Woolrich, Pendleton and Carhartt are very popular in Alaska.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bibs facilitate upper body layering to a higher degree, in my opinion.

The waistline size is more forgiving when adding or removing shirts, 'johns, etc.

And another thing.... I look damned fine in the suckers! [Big Grin]

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bibs are sure warm, but unless it is -20 degrees, I sweat like crazy in them. But I am a walker.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bibs are the best when it gets nasty cold--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having tried both for years in ALL conditions I opt for the pants. I like the belt fit an inch or two larger than actual waist size. Seems to be a better feel...............

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Montana- only been there twice (and loved it)

I like bibs when working or scrunching aroud in the bush or snow, when I'm likely to get pine needles or snow down my ass.

I'll take pants the rest of the time, because I tend to overheat. ( My gal calls me "the warming machine" in bed, but that's more than you guys need to know.) I regualrly am out in a t-short and shorts in the winter.

Make sure the suspenders are long enough on teh bibs for when you are on horseback...Nothing worse than having all your goodies cinched in tight on a horse...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Thats easy, bibs [Smile] Lived here 43 years, don't know what i'd do without them. OH, be COLD [Razz]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Bibs are warm but I like pants because they are much easier to undo when mother nature calls me out in the field. You will have to contend with that while hunting. I think Bib overalls are to noisy when you walk swish, swish, swish, with every step especially the kind with the zipper up the side of the legs. My soft no noise hunting pants enable me to walk and not warn every game animal in the area I am on the move. The clothes they make now are far warmer than the good old days. Your under clothing is the key to staying warm. Quality insulating underware they make now is very warm. light weight layered clothing will keep you wramer than any one heavy weight pair of pants and hunting jacket. I like my insulated Bibs to snow blow the drive way and walks but not for big game hunting. Wool is very warm even when wet but also very heavy and that will show your physical shape when you get out in the field and do much walking. The day I hung up my old heavy wool hunting suit up for good and got my new light weight warm hunting clothes extened my hunting life. Good warm light weight hunting clothes are the way to go. You will form your opinion when your hunt is over and see the draw backs in choosing Bib overalls to hunt big game. Then again you may be as happy as a mouse finding new warm beding before winter sets in.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I like my Columbia Gallatin Range Wool Camo. Got the jacshirt, jacket (from Sportsman Guide), pants (hemmed from Cabelas) and boonie hat (from Scheel's All Sports) and saved a bunch over Filson, Woolrich, Weatherby, King of the Mountain, Sleeping Indian, Cabelas Wool. Can get the bibs from Sportsman Guide for $75.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/showad.html?promo_code=WX2&item_id=66272

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
Hey Russell, you still haven't told us who you're hunting with. If you're gonna be in Bozeman, you ought to ring me up. I'll buy you a beer, & even maybe drag Greenie along so you can see we're not all that bad of folks in person ;-).
But anyway, I haven't heard about any arctic fronts moving in next week, & I'll vote for pants also. Mine are Filsons, & I love' em although they need the Woolite treatment after last weekend. In fact, I need to call the Woolen Shop here & bend his ear again about cleaning those things. I know the owner has no use for dry cleaning, & neither do I after some sumbitches shrank my Cabela's woolies. Fortunately, they fit my son perfectly now.
I don't know how much hiking you'll be doing, but bibs are way too hot for my MO. Layers, man, layers.... Long johns & the Filsons will get me through nearly anything, and if it's just brutal out a pair of chaps cover any other foreseeable circumstance.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
If you are regular get the Woolrich bibs. They come up to your arm pits, real high in back. And they are wool so they don't get wet and no whish,whish when you walk. Put on your long johns, a pair of heavy sweats, then your bibs....if you are still cold, then it's too damn cold to be outside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the wool bibs, when you bend over to look at deer tracks the wind doesn't blow up your back.

Russ

if you are unsure, I would suggest that you get both and decide later....

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FILSON MACKINAW BIBS!!!

-
From the Filson catalogue . . ."As an Iditarod Air Force pilot spending weeks out along the trail, your wool vest and bibs allow me to comfortably live along the trail, whether inside a log cabin or outside subjected to the coldest biting wind off the Bering Sea. I have tried virtually all available clothing combos & my Filsons surpass them all in achieving safety & warmth along the great Iditarod trail."

David Mersesean
Anchorage, AK

Personally, I bought a pair of these for a Yukon hunt last year and had some of their oil finish tin cloth (furnished free from Filson) sewn to the front of the legs from above the knees on down and they worked like a champ. Spent all day on snowmobiles and some really cold nights but these things kept me nice and toasty!!!

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote bibs also,I find once my kidneys get cold I am done for the day,and when you have to look for Omar sizes bibs are easier to find [Big Grin]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm very pleased with my heavy Columbia pants and suspenders.

Have not tried the bibs yet, but I'll bet they're warmer.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
Can get the bibs from Sportsman Guide for $75.

Bloody Hell. I didn't know they made them in bibs. I have the pants and love them. I'd have gotten the bibs if I'd only known. Oh well. I think I'll be okay with what I ordered. I've got other good thermal stuff for underwear.

I'll look into getting a pair of them when I get back, though. Thanks for telling me.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rimrock:
Hey Russell, you still haven't told us who you're hunting with.

Yup, you're right.

quote:
If you're gonna be in Bozeman, you ought to ring me up. I'll buy you a beer, & even maybe drag Greenie along so you can see we're not all that bad of folks in person.

Ring you up? Buy me a beer? After all the shit I've given you about pimping for Ted Turner? You MUST be kidding me. I think I'll pass. As for the other guy, if I get a chance to put a bullet in him without witnesses, he's dead meat. You must have me confused with someone who forgives and forgets. I do neither.

quote:
Layers, man, layers.... Long johns & the Filsons will get me through nearly anything, and if it's just brutal out a pair of chaps cover any other foreseeable circumstance.

Roger the layer advice.

Hadn't thought to stock up on Woolite, though. Good tip.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan in Wa:
Put on your long johns, a pair of heavy sweats, then your bibs....if you are still cold, then it's too damn cold to be outside.

I love quantifiable advice!!! Thank you!

Um... if I put on long johns, heavy sweats, and my wool bibs... and I'm still cold... and I tell my guide "it's too damn cold to be outside"... um... do you think I'll get a refund??? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Roger the sweats. Hadn't thought to take them, but I will now.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Columbia wool pants and the Woolrich heavy bibs are on the way, so I'll take both. I like having options. Plan for the worst, pray for the best, that's me.

I know overheating might be a concern with me, because I'm prone to doing that, but versus tucking in my damn shirt all the time -- or having various bits of vegetation and/or precipitation traveling... um... "south" -- I'll go with bibs and try to regulate my body temperature. I'm not figuring on any cross-country sprints... but we'll see. I had to cut off a caribou one time, and Lord howdy, I sure had to hustle through the woods to do it -- but I did, and made the kill ("hooah"). At the time I was running through the woods and jumping over things, sliding down things, et cetera... it reminded me of Mel Gibson's run through the woods to get his son back near the beginning of "The Patriot."

I sure appreciate all the advice on layering and wool garments, guys. Thank you very much.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
I vote bibs also,I find once my kidneys get cold I am done for the day,and when you have to look for Omar sizes bibs are easier to find [Big Grin]

You lost me, Dave. "Omar sizes?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ you might consider the Codet wool bibs. they are not as thick as some of the others and therefore I find them more comfortable still hunting (don'tsweat up as much). their price is good too

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/Codet_virgin_wool_clothing.htm

they also come in green

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/Codet_green_wool_clothing.htm

[ 11-07-2002, 04:19: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,you know sizes like 62 chest 48 waist [Big Grin]

[ 11-07-2002, 05:48: Message edited by: Dave James ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
Russell,you know sizes like 62 chest 48 waist [Big Grin]

[Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forecast here next week is rain and snow, lows in the 20-30's, highs in the 30-40's. of course, them weather people lie at ya [Embarrassed] ).

Bring wet weather gear. The moisture is needed, way too dry in the mountains right now for good hunting, you'll be hitting it at a good time.

Jeans for horse back if it isn't too cold. Wool on a saddle gets pretty uncomfortable if you are traveling far.

You'd want your sweats for bed wear, or something similar, anyway. I also like a light pair of slippers, even Jap flaps for those late night trips outside the tent.

I really doubt you'll need your wool yet.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure appreciate the intel, Ric, thank you. One thing I've got plenty of is jeans. I've got rain gear too, so I should be all set in that regard.

Thanks again. Nothing like getting information from someone on site.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ, you're probably on the road already, but an update-

The rain started last night here. Last week I went to an area I hunt, and saw no game at all. Too damn dry.

Today, I went to the same place. I saw 18 deer, 4 elk, 5 turkey, and 2 grouse. You should have a good hunt.

By the way, I saw bucks tending does already. The rut is early this year! You, my friend, should be in hog heaven for hunting.

Mucho Lucko! Hasta Winnabego, don'toucha da nachos! enjoy!

(Bastardized Mex Montana good luck charm)

Tell us about it when you get back! In case you don't come back to his post, I'll try and remember to bring it back to the top in a couple weeks.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, not gone yet. Was trying for tomorrow, but that's turning into Tuesday quickly. Still plenty of time to drive out without pushing it.

Roger the rain. Thanks for the update. I have good rain gear and should be okay. My primary system is my .375 H&H Magnum and my secondary is my .444 Marlin. I'm taking 40 rounds for the former, 20 for the latter.

Again, thanks for the update. I'll try to make a post to let you know how it goes.

Early rut, eh? Wow. I'd just love to hear at least ONE elk bugle, "live" (i.e., not on a hunting show), before I check out.

Take care.

Russ

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Gee, lots of opinions.

Since you will be horseback, wool pants over jeans will be better than bibs.

Will

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I doubt you'll hear elk bugling yet. Its' the deer that are in rut.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless I miss my guess Russell, the Omar referance is to Omar the tent maker (required for the XXX sizes). - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Re: sweats, my #1 rule of outdoor clothing is: FUCK COTTON, excpet perhaps for underwear. For sweats, consider going to an army/navy store and getting some of that new brown-colored Army ECWCS polypro stuff, or go to any skiing/backpacking store and load up on polyester fleece jackets, sweaters, and pants.

If I'm going to be gone for a while, polyester, polypropylene, or merino wool underwear is the way to go. Long undies will keep chafing from wool pants to a minimum.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, BINGO!!! my favorite maker [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow. I hear there was threats on my life on this web-site so I had to come sign up and respond to this fruit-cake.

Russell, good luck on your guided MT elk hunt. You will need it. The type of trousers you wear are the least of your concerns. I pity the outfitter you are going with. It would be along the lines of being hired to take a parapalegic waterskiing.

You obviously don't get laid enough and have no pals. Do yourself some good and stop spanking your monkey so much. Maybe quit watching re-runs of the Hanibal Lector show and take some feel-good anger management courses.

Rimrock... if I turn up missing.. tell the authorities to look in Russell's crawlspace.

<Fat Prongs>
posted
Greenhorn,
I doubt you will have anything to worry about unless you are a spike or a mule. But if you see a big city slicker all Cabelad out in bib overalls and a 10 gallon hat... run like hell!

one of us
posted Hide Post
rimrock and greenie, sounds like you have a new Bud !! RET. He made these same keyboard threats over at HA to Customstox,myself and several others. RET is living proof that "INCEST" just doesm't produce normal offspring. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
I wasn't even going to respond to my good bud Russell's refusal to meet me. For one, I think it speaks for itself as to character, and two, he isn't here now, & I'll say anything I've got to say to his face, or as close to it as this medium allows. But hey, I guess I did offer to do that, & was summarily dismissed ;-).
Whatever. Maybe he didn't want to meet me because then I'd find out he's really not 6'7" and 240#, and a Truly Dangerous Man.
Walter Mitty, is my guess....