Find
Notify
Tools

WOULD YOU SHOOT THIS DEER ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted

This buck is free range low fence on my lease in texas but im not sure I want to shoot him .

I dont follow the bonehead and crotchrot club scoring bs but he is 20 points best I can see.

what do you think?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post

blow up from telephoto front view

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
What reason would you have for not shooting a mature buck with a big rack? Just wondering.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
what's the problem? is he radioactive or diseased? why would you consider NOT shooting him?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just one of those typical Texas deer - all antler and no meat !! dancing

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
well there are a couple of problems with him.

he is a little close to the house most of the time.

and he is only about 4 years old been watching him a few years.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can have the antlers, I will take the meat.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Wait another year or two if he is not in danger from hunters on neighboring ranches - then take him.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd wait. He will pick up mass over the next year or two.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
While that is a gorgeous buck, he is relatively young and will be even more impressive in a year or 2.

It's obvious he has good genes, and keeping him around will give you a chance of having more bucks like him in the area.

I know it's tough to pass on a buck like that, but that's what I'd do.

On opening day, I passed on a nice buck, but I have to admit it was very tempting. Here is a game cam photo of him. He's on the right. The day after, I took an older buck with nice mass. He wasn't blessed with great spread or tine length, but he was an older deer -- a deer I felt was already on the decline.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not hestitate an instant in taking that dummy out of the gene pool-- for the good of the species!

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only you can make that call. If you feel he'll be ok for another year then leave him alone, if you think someone else may take him then by all means, pop him and put the mount on the wall.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
CRUSHER,

Sure, I'll shoot him for ya. Thanks for asking. hilbily Just PM me your address and I'll come right over. It appears that the others didn't understand you were inviting a hunt. Wink

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
OH I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT THE OTHER PROBLEM WITH HIM

she named him big boy and he loves lasagna peperoni pizza and white bread

shooting him with a pistol would be a little les than sporting. he will eat wonder bread from your hand.

I have drawn a line in the sand of my mind. if he gets bigger than the biggest deer I have ever seen he is done. but I will wait a while for now to see if he gets any better.

thanks for the opinions.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
shoot him now! that way you dont have to pack him very far! hilbily

but i have a feeling you'd be shot and mounted as well! that lady would probably whoop your butt! Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
He's nice enough, I think you'd better tag him (on the hoof, like a cow) so no one else does. That must be a wonderful sight to behold while drinking your morning coffee. thumb

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How could you count him as a trophy?

Actually, what you should consider is selling him to someone, he should bring at least $10,000 next year.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too late if you've named him!

I attempt to avoid that at all costs. Once it happens, I just can't put them in the freezer. Just an old softie I guess.

Lovely to have one with those genetics around. Hope he's a happy camper make'n lots of contributions to the gene pool Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I'm beginning to think this was a trick question...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Family pet, he would die of old age here.

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I based my first comment on this:
quote:
This buck is free range low fence

But now that I see he's a pet, no way would he get shot at our house.

Be careful, though: They do get aggressive and can be quite dangerous.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:

Is it just the pic,or is he smaller than most deer?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
You can only eat him once - but you can watch him many times over.

I think I would be fitting him with a collar or an eartag so its obvious he is a "pet" and not to be harvested .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
just funnin you fellas a little he is a wild deer that just showed up and eatiing out of the garbage. then he gets use to being fed. shows up to hide in the yard and eat wonderbread during hunting season. then peels off in the summer. he has a few lady friends that stop by during the rut. and some young bucks stop by for a ass whoopin it is kinda fun to watch.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot him.

Since he is so friendly I would refer to enjoy his company rather than shoot him.

I had a buck deer that hung around where Ihunted for several years. I got so I could almost walk up and touch him.
I would not shoot him either.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:

Is it just the pic,or is he smaller than most deer?

he is young barly 4 and he is not huge in the body short legged I think kinda funny shapped but not to bad.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nail it. Smiler

You ain't gonna mount his legs!

jumping

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WOULD YOU SHOOT THIS DEER ?

Nope! Spoil him rotten, and cut his horns off ever fall so some one else don't shoot him!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful during the rut. Sometimes "tame" deer get a little nutty and like to gore the people who feed them.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
My Dads cousin shot his Moms yard pet once on the last day of bow season. His name was Goofy. Bad juju my friend!!!! He tells her thats why he had him put on the wall. So she can "remember" him forever. I call it severe damage control LOL.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago there was a man that fed mule deer near Brazos, New Mexico, out of the back of his pickup. I rolled-in one day to see firsthand. It was an unbelieveable sight. About thirty deer wandering around his front porch. Some had 30+" spreads. Some were bottle raised, and some just got comfortable. I got my camera out and started shooting. One doe walked up and put her nose on my camera lense. While I was cleaning the lense, one of the big bucks saundered over and slipped one of his tines between the buttons on my shirt. Very carefully I started pushing the horn down to disengage. He thought we were arm wrestling I guess, and tried to lift me off the ground. I stopped pressing on his horn and he relaxed. Eventually he very nicely pulled my shirttail out and tore the button off, but other than that we remained friends. It was a really cool experience, and I got some great stills and a short video.

Enjoy having him around, just don't forget to stay on guard.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Be careful during the rut. Sometimes "tame" deer get a little nutty and like to gore the people who feed them.

the first time I walked up and saw this thing standing between me and the front door I was a little nervious they are supposed to run.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must have good neighbors if they haven't already shot him. I personally would give him at least 2 years to grow up based on your pictures. I've passed up a lot of nice trophy bucks just because they were young and had the potential to become really exceptional trophy bucks. I passed up a young buck in South Texas with a perfect typical 12 pt rack because he was smaller that the doe he was chasing. He already had pretty heavy horns and would be a monster in 2-3 yrs. I guy on our lease shot him a week later and couldn't beleive that 2 of us had already passed up this buck. I explained that we let him go because he was young and had a lot of potential. He said that if we don't shoot him the guys on the surrounding leases will. I told him that since I let him go he at least had a chance to live a few more years but if I shot him he had no chance at all. He didn't comprehend the logic.

Posts: 123 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
After seeing that the deer is willing to be hand-fed, nope. I couldn't do it. I sure could have before seeing the later pics, though! Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Keep feeding him and in a couple of years invite him in for dinner Big Grin
Seriously the only way you will be able to shoot this deer is if you convince your wife to plant rose bushes. Then when the deer starts eating her roses, you will have to explain that the only way for her to keep her beautiful flowers is to kill the deer.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Is there a B&C record for guys using a Louisville Slugger? You could hold the WORLD RECORD for that method of take!

"mmmm this bread is delicious....(THUD)"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would rather shoot the neighbors cat than your pet deer. The cat serves no purpose and your deer is a great conversation piece.

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I would dart him, cut his horns off, have your taxidermist mount them with another cape. Eeker

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Is there a B&C record for guys using a Louisville Slugger? You could hold the WORLD RECORD for that method of take!

"mmmm this bread is delicious....(THUD)"

I think I already hold the big rock record. the bat record would be cool. better yet I could hold the trifecta of bat rock and poison wonder bread.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say Lasso him and hold him down for a "I harvested a big buck" picture. Then you can feed it for another year and do it again. nobody will suspect that it is the same deer every year. Kidding aside, Don't shoot the family pet. It may be "Low Fence" But it is not wild game to you.

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote