Find
Notify
Tools

? on Pre 64 Featherweights.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted
I have recently been shopping around for a Winchester pre 64 in 30-06 to use as a hunter. A few people I have talked to have told me that the Featherweight models were not as good shooters as the standard models. Since I don't have much experience with any of the pre 64's I was hoping maybe a few of you more experinced and knowledgeable folks could give me your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Jarrett

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I helped a friend sight one in this morning, the very model you're looking for.

We didn't have to shoot it much since we got it fully dialed in (from correcting a cant in the scope, to ready to hunt) with 10 rounds. Shot around 1.5 for 3 shots at 100 yds. with Federal 180-gr. Noslers.

My friend complained of the recoil compared to his Tikka .300 Win. Mag. but admittedly the Tikka is a tad heavier. Of course he also declined to use the PAST sissy pad I always wear at the bench. ;-)

I tried them both offhand and the Tikka from the bench and agree that the Tikka was a pussycat compared to my expectations. Offhand they felt about the same to me.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have that exact rifle with a VX-II 2-7X scope. With 165-grain handloads, it would shoot in the 0.8" range for 5 shots. It had been free floated. Don't let worries of inaccuracy cause you to pass up on this rifle!

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I like the old M-70 Featherweights. I have had a few of them and they all shot well. I won a sporting rife match with mine in 06. The M-70 has one of the best triggers ever.

The featherweight has the barrel bedded with forend pressure and this system is just fine.

I would much rather have an old M-70 than the hyped stuff today. My 06 shoots about 1 MOA and my .358 featherweight does about 1.5 MOA. It's the riflemans rifle.

<bearguide>
posted
Finley- I have a M70 Featherweight in 30-06. It's very accurate, with handloads and factory ammo. I can get sub-MOA 3 shot groups, even with 110 gr. bullets. I was told not to free-float the bbl. by several gunsmiths, as the light bbl. often needs the forend pressure. Allow adequate cooling between shots though.
I have a Timney trigger on mine, other than that it's all factory.

They're made in 300 WSM now as well, in case you're interested. I would have chosen this caliber were it available at the time I purchased mine.

[This message has been edited by bearguide (edited 12-16-2001).]

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
mine is a 308 and shoots just fine. It shoots most factory hunting ammo around 1.5" and some of my hunting reloads to a little less but it will shoot UMC 147 gr fmj's into one ragged hole at 100 yrds.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the Fwts shoot just as well as the standard weights, thats an individual thing with rifles, some shoot well and others don't. I have seen a bunch of M-70 Fwt. Pre 64's that shot under an inch...

I like the standard weight rifles better as they hold better for me off hand, but thats just a personal thing with me.

You should be able to pick up a nice shooter for $500 to $600. Check out the Gunlist.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Pre 64 M70s. I have five (375H&H, 300H&H, 30-06, 270, 308) and they all shoot under MOA with factory ammo (better with handloads).

The standard grade rifles have a 24" barrel in a heavier contour as opposed to a 22" barrel and lighter contour on the featherweights. The standard grades also have an extra screw in the fore end of the stock that screws into the barrel band of the rear sight. The featherweight does not have this.

My standard grade 30-06 seems to shoot a tad bit better than my Featherweight 308. However, it doesn't matter becuase the 308 will shoot MOA.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
I have owned 2 featherweights in 3006 and 270. Both shot 1" groups with my handloads. The winchester pre 64 is my favorite rifle and the featherweight rifle is a pleasure to carry.
Terry