Find
Notify
Tools

How many of you
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
hunt around home or in the states with odd cartridges that are hard to get ammo for, but hunt with the popular calibers on expensive hunts or traveling overseas?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the same cartridges wherever I hunt.With a little planning you will never run out of ammunition.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload for everthing I shoot except .22 rimfire, so it is never a problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod:

Stubblejumper is right. The only time the availablity of ammo would even be an issue is if your bags are lost. And if your bags are lost, you are probably screwed anyway. It isn't like you are going to run out of ammo in Africa or Alaska and then run to the corner store and buy more.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Jarrod:

Stubblejumper is right. The only time the availablity of ammo would even be an issue is if your bags are lost. And if your bags are lost, you are probably screwed anyway. It isn't like you are going to run out of ammo in Africa or Alaska and then run to the corner store and buy more.

That is what I was meaning using the popular calibers in case your ammo didnt show up

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am flying long distances,I split my ammo up into more than one bag.If none of them show up,I won't be hunting anyways.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I play with 4 kind of oddballs here at home, 6.5x54 Mannlicher, 350 Rem Mag, 9.3x62 and 450/400 3 1/4 Nitro Express.

But when I head to Africa I always take a 7mm Rem Mag and a 375 H&H. The 4 listed above (with the possible exception of the 9.3)would be hard if not impossible to get ammo in a remote safari location, but you can get ammo for the 7mm and 375 in just about any gunstore in the world. It may take some driving to get it, but it would at least be available.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting with my own wildcats for so many years, taking them to Africa every year - sometimes twice a year. And have never, ever lost any ammo.

In fact, after thsi years hunt, I had to cull some of my brass cases, as a few have started to have hairline cracks in the necks and shoulders.

These have been to Africa probably 12 times, in addition to being used for load development.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use some odd stuff such as a tight necked 6 x 284 with 107 grainers, but always switch to .308 an 30-06 or a .300 Win Mag when traveling when hunting. I have had my bags lost once, on a hunt to Texas for pigs and varmints. I went to the hardware store picked up a box of .308 and I was hunting till my bags came in the next day. (At least they didn't lose my gun!!!!)

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote