New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Ballistic Tips for deer?
 Login/Join

<ringneck>
posted
I have been thinking about using the 200 grain Nosler Ballistic tips in my 338-06 for deer. I have heard that the .338 bullets and larger have thicker jackets in the Ballistic Tips than the smaller calibers. Have any of you shot a deer with the 200 grainer in the .338? How would you describe their expansion on deer size game?

Thanks,

Shawn

<1_pointer>
posted
I've just started loading the CT Ballitstic Silvertips that are made by Nosler. While I haven't shot any game with them yet, they cut a milk jug full of water in half and later I shot completely through a railroad crosstie with them. Both shots were at 200 yards. If it can go through a crosstie I have no doubt they will work on deer. I will be using them this year for deer, black bear, and 'yotes!!! Just my experience thus far with them.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
200 grain Hornadys & you get 100 not 50

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to go with bear claw on this shoot the hornadays on deer. You really do not need the more exspensive bullets on deer Just shot a good size doe with my 338 and hornadays she never left her bed of course a 338 into the neck dose it all the time.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the .338/200BT on black bear and elk. It has plenty of penetration and expansion and would do fine on deer also, but --

Why don't you try the Nosler .338/180 ballistic tip if your quarry is deer. This bullet will give you a bit flatter trajectory and more than ample penetration on even the largest deer. This bullet should be especially well-suited to your .338-06. I would think that you could easily get in excess of 2800 fps out of it without excessive pressure.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 200 gr. Bal. tips work fine on plainsgame the size of deer and are not as explosive as the Hornadys or the 180 Bal. tip. I hate to see excessive meat damage on the game I shoot...

BTW the 210 Nosler works great on deer but keep the shot off the shoulders or it to will cause excessive bruising..

The 250 Nosler, Woodliegh etc. will work fine also but expect a 75 yard run, but good blood trail and it hardly bruises at all, you can eat to the hole. If your tracking skills are lacking then this is not a bullet for you.

All in all its pretty hard not to kill a deer with a proper hit with a 338.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote