New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Canada
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anyone could help me here with a problem for an American friend of mine. He wants to come up to Canada to hunt deer and bear. All the hunting licences are purchased already on my side.

The problem comes with paperwork on his side for bringing back game meat, skulls, hides etc. Can anyone help me with what paperwork is required on the American side when he comes back.

Thanks

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I just brought 2 bear hides/skulls back and the only paperwork required is the tag or copy of tag, and the WIN#, plus he has to show proof of hunting license.

That was all I had to deal with. Plus, no one ever checked it anyway. I had them wrapped up in a cardboard box, frozen solid, with the tags still attached. No one opened the box.

What I highly recommend without question is that your friend get a passport, and go to his local CBP office and fill out the form needed for his firearms, and anything else he brings that has a serial number. It is the US equivalent of your Canadian paperwork needed to bring a firearm into Canada.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Thanks for the info.

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Is your friend wanting to hunt winter wolves over bait by chance?

I'm looking for an outfitter that does that too, but prices seem to be quite the spread. I have found one that charges $1900 for a week, and another that gets $4000. Same package with each, and both claim to be in an "infested" area.

So, I'm not sure what to make of it. I had a wolf tag as part of my bear hunt package at no extra cost. Of course I never saw a wolf. I met a lady at the Edmonton airport that said a wolf came in right under her stand the first evening. She had a tag, but said, "I didn't know what I'd do with him so I just watched him whizz everwhere, sit at the bottom of my tree, then run off after about 10 minutes."

Go figure. That would NEVER happen to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That could be a possiblity with my friend as we are both predator hunters. I will ask.

Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents;

I'll be hunting elk and white-tail in Alberta this October on the Hunter Host program (my brother's a resident).

Two of our party are driving, but I'm flying. Will it be possible for my friends to re-enter the USA with MY trophies and meat, as long as they have all the documentation???

Any information is much appreciated. Sorry to take this thread a bit off-topic.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I think this is a real touch-and-go, as you're supposed to have it in your possession which means travelling with your meat and hides/antlers. It's not just at the border, but in the provinces and states they'd be travelling through .....best option is to check out their travel route and then check with each authority plus US Customs. I do know our clients make sure everything is documented to them for travel and there's no joint-owned meat bags. ~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren Mk1:
Gents;

I'll be hunting elk and white-tail in Alberta this October on the Hunter Host program (my brother's a resident).

Two of our party are driving, but I'm flying. Will it be possible for my friends to re-enter the USA with MY trophies and meat, as long as they have all the documentation???

Any information is much appreciated. Sorry to take this thread a bit off-topic.

Honestly, that can really come down to the Border Patrol person who checks the bags at that time. Ultimately, the answer is NO. You must accompany your trophies, unless they are shipped, already tanned, or mounted. I do NOT know what the law states either way, but I did run into several hunters and we all discussed this.

You will be running a high risk of CBP seizing your possessions if they are in transit without you.

I personally would not do it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all.

As a direct result of your advice, I am modifying the travel plans so that I will accompany my own meat and trophies by vehicle to the US/Canada border, and BE THERE to deal with difficulties and legalities if they crop up.

It's certainly not fair to load this responsibility onto my firends, and by travelling home with them I can extend the enjoyment of the hunt just that much farther.

Thanks again, and Barry, I dunno why I didn't think of asking you first! Hope to see you for SCI again this winter!

Thanks again.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure all the grey matter from inside the skull are gone. We boiled the skull of our Caribou last year and they checked them carefully. They are worried about Mad Cow!

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, it has nothing to do with the Canadian Border Patrol. It's the US side you report to.

As to Mad Cow, someone needs to take those Elk or Caribou horns and shove them as far up R-Calfs Ass as they can!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doc, Thank you for your help via e-mail. Lance

PS, I'll send ya pics when I get back.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
Doc, it has nothing to do with the Canadian Border Patrol. It's the US side you report to.

As to Mad Cow, someone needs to take those Elk or Caribou horns and shove them as far up R-Calfs Ass as they can!

Chuck

I know. That is what I said. I was referring to the US not Canadian. If you read CBP and thought otherwise, it stands for Customs and Border Patrol.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crapshoot:
Doc, Thank you for your help via e-mail. Lance

PS, I'll send ya pics when I get back.

You're welcome.

Please do send pics.