New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topo map source?
 Login/Join

<Gary Rihn>
posted
My supplier of topo maps is "no more". Does anyone have a good source for maps?

(I know about topozone.com and use it for reference, but for maps to carry in the field I prefer the full size deal).

Thanks!

<noabitaboutalot>
posted
Assuming that you are talking about the United States, try www.usgs.gov then "Products".

Hope this helps,

Bill

[This message has been edited by noabitaboutalot (edited 01-16-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Gary,

Try the USGS list of retailers: http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/acis-bin/querypartner.cgi

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by noabitaboutalot:
Hope this helps

It sure does! Thanks!

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Thanks George! We were writing at the same time...

<noabitaboutalot>
posted
You're very welcome Gary!

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
This season I've been using maps from www.mytopo.com which have been great. They're a customized section off of several USGS maps and printed on tough, waterproof paper. Delivery time from Montana to VA is usually about 3-4 days by regular mail.

I have them for all the areas I hunt here in VA and several chunks of Maine -- most of which would require 2 to 6 USGS maps that always tear (and bleed green). My local REI store charges $4.95 per quad so the MyTopo maps are actually cheaper.

The only drawback I've found is that for some quads they are based on older USGS maps than the current issue. This hasn't been a problem for me as I've found that all the hills and rivers are still in the same place; the only seriously missing thing on one of them was a wildlife management area boundary that ended in the middle of nowhere since the land had been acquired after that particular map was done.

I did have a few minutes of perplexity up in Maine when I came to a spot where the logging road should have come to a "T" and it was a 4-way since a new spur had been built, but there was never really any doubt about where I was.

John "Satisfied Customer" Frazer

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HuntR
posted Hide Post

You might want to try www.delorme.com

They're a good source for topos.

Posts: 179 | Location: Maine | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
Thanks to everyone! I oughta be able to find what I need at one of these links for sure.

posted Hide Post
My pleasure, Gary. I print them from the web sites then laminate them myself using sheets I buy at Staples. They keep a lot better that way, and you can use a grease pencil to make notations.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote