THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Folding hunting knife that holds its edge.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Folding hunting knife that holds its edge.
 Login/Join

<trout>
posted
For those of you interesed in sharpening things, check out this link
http://www2.fwi.com/~krumy/scary/copyof.htm

<Savage 99>
posted
Lot's of good suggestions here. Just to add that I like a serrated blade and a conventional one in a two bladed folder.

I too have some carbon steel blades made locally and they hold an edge really well but none are folders.

The two bladed folders I have are made by Coleman. I have no idea if they are better or worse than other SS knives.

one of us
posted Hide Post
stubblejumper had your answer ...

The Gerber Gator folding lockblade is available with ATS34 steel for under $60US. Plain, or combination serrated blade. Models G6064 and G6065.

http://www.knifestuff.com/gerber/gator/gator.htm

I personally prefer a fixed blade knife for skinning work. They are much easier to clean. I have a couple of Dozier skinners with D2 steel that like very much, though they are more expensive than your budget would allow.

[ 09-01-2003, 02:29: Message edited by: wayne nish ]

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
I carry a Case sheath knife with a 3" blade,but I gut out most of my deer with a Buck 307 which has 3 blades. When I get home to skin a deer I can almost finish up with the Buck.
Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
For an over the counter lock blade, Buck is hard to beat. You will have to sharpen it though. A good steel will go a long way between stone sharpenings. Cutting through ribs will dull a knife pretty quick. Try a small saw for the bone and such.

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote