New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you an NRA member?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am just curious how many of you are NRA members. I find it interesting that some of the most hard core hunters I know are not members, and refuse to be members, even though they are gun freaks like me. I know the NRA is not perfect, and at one time or another has probably pissed us all off, but it just amazes me that people can spend their lives looking forward to the next elk hunt, the next trap shoot, the next pistol match, etc and not seem to care about gun rights. I'm just curious what others' thoughts are, especially those who are not members. I know this should be on the politics and gun ownership forum, but that would defeat the point. I'm only interested in hearing from hunters.

Posts: 96 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Yes I am. I upgraded to a Life Membership this past winter.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Lifer

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Life Member.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lifer

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Life Member NRA and SCI

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and I are NRA life members like my father before me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lifer, I wonder if I can buy another one of the coats (life member embroidered bomber jacket), my wife snagged the 1st one......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life member since 1990. Annual up to that point.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lifer

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, annual. Usually the hard core hunters who are not in the NRA complain about a couple actions the NRA did, or they blind themselves whenever they hear "politics" and think the threat doesn't exist. They always reply, "There is no way they could do that, or they can pry my cold dead fingers from my gun if they want it". We all know if it were to come to that, we would all be dead. Shot buy the better armed, equipped, and funded National Guard, fed agents, police, and military.

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lifer as well.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Since 1970, a junior member. Now a Patron. Rob

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NRA member since I was a kid and joined in 1951. Life Member since 1970.

I have nothing but disgust and contempt for gun owners who refuse to join the NRA. They are all parasitic leeches. We carry their lazy, pathetic asses on our shoulders and they are indeed, an extremely heavy burden.

Were it not for the NRA, they/we would not own even one gun legally, nor would the Constitution still exist. A tyrannical Gestapoesqe/KGBesque government would be in place, having destroyed this country in order to confiscate all the guns.

They are all a gigantic liability to us gun owners who care, donate, and work to keep our RIGHTS. The Bill of Rights is not a Statement Of Government Granted Privileges.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Life Member since 1963- went through the Civilian Marksmanship Program as a youth all the way through "Distinguished"
Qualified "Expert" with all weapons through basic and infantry AIT- Army- last training company at Ft.Polk to qualify with both the M-14 & M-16. Squad leader in the QueSon valley- Americal(23rdID) in Vietnam.

my grandfather was a ballistic engineer for the Army at AberdeenPG- he gave me my Life Memebership in 63 and enrolled my in the CMP when I was 10.

posted Hide Post
VERY well expressed, LW. Wish I were so eloquent. Rob

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Annual member, 1952. Benefactor currently.

Puzzled that all hunters do not belong. As has been previously stated, NRA is a major player at very least, if not the major player in securing the rights of our grandchildren to enjoy our beloved shooting sports.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Annual for a few years, will be lifer soon. Although their focus may stray from the issues I immediately care about at the time, all gun issues are connected. One right loss is a piece of the whole. They are a loud, organized chorus singing out the dangers of firearms banning versus control. Of more laws affecting the non-criminal versus enforcing laws to protect society from the criminals.

so I take it a step further, I don't think that only gun nuts, hunters, and recreational shooters should join; all Americans who value their freedom, the way of life they enjoy, and the country that our forefather's wanted to create for us, should be members.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Endowment.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Yep, annual in '68; life in '73; am now a Benefactor. Too bad that, in order to get a hunting license you don't have to show your NRA membership.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Life Member.
And for those who don't feel like it's important enough to be an NRA member for the price of a box of projos and a can of powder, go spend a few years living in another country where guns are completely banned, or you have to BEG PERMISSION to own one or hunt. Countries like the UK, Germany, Italy, Japan, Australia, etc. Then see how you feel about it.

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow I am amazed...EVERYBODY is a member of the NRA. Seems there'd be at least a couple on AR that aren't members. That's pretty impressive. And yes, I'm a member too. In a way I would like to cancel my membership because of how the NRA supports canned hunting. Just look in the back of one of their magazines and you'll see lots of ads for "hunting" on private land, no license required, and "no kill-no pay." Why they support this I don't have a clue.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I was having financial trouble due to ruptured disks in my back and a new born child, both arriving within a couple of months of one another. I failed to renew my annual membership that year. Due to that I recieved a letter from the NRA that stated "It is because of people like you that we are going to loose our gun rights!"

That pissed me off!! If I had the money I would have renuwed my membership but at that time it was more than I could do on my own to provide for my family.

I'm truely sorry that I could not pitch in at that time but facts are facts and the fact is I did what I felt I had to do for my family, they come first to me if it puts the whole world on hold!!

Thoughs days are behind me now and I'm not seeking pitty but I can't bring myself to join the NRA after that letter at a time when I litteraly couldn't afford a stamp muchless membership dues!

Since I have been "back on my feet" I have made numerous contributions to the NRA because I feel that they have the loudest voice when it comes to defending our constitutional rights but can not bring myself to renewing my membership.

P.S., it is sad that we Americans have to defend our constitutional rights against other Americans.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

The NRA certainly utilized a very bad choice of words in their reply letter. You should have been at least coaxed to rejoin instead of chastised. I apologize in their behalf, if it helps any, and encourage you to rejoin. The easy pay life system really cannot be beat. Every three months you get a bill for $25. My wife and I have both become life members this way. We need all the help we can get to defeat the foes of firearm ownership. Please reconsider!

To the others, good going! But remember, we all must try to sign up as many as possible, as well as being members.
And above all, vote your sport!

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Lifer, I wonder if I can buy another one of the coats (life member embroidered bomber jacket), my wife snagged the 1st one......DJ

Hey DJ, Yes you can. Check out www.nrastore.com and look for Item# SS732(Black) or SS733(Brown). Both are $250. Or call 1-888-607-6007 and tell them to send you a 2004 Spring Catalog. In fact you should already have it. Check with the Boss and see if she snagged it out of the mailbox.

Patron Member and looking forward to eventually becoming a Benefactor. Other than my Hunting(and Fishing) Licenses, I get the most pleasure when contributing through the NRA to finance the constant aggravation and defeat of clinton, algore, heil-ery, schumer, kennedy(s), kerry, boxer, carvelle, mccain, and ALL the people who think as they do, desiring to errode our "Right to Arms".

The Frazier Firearms Museum opens in Louisville, KY during May. It will contain an amazing display of firearms including Teddy Roosevelt's very own and favorite .405Win. The reason I bring this up is because it is getting "some funding" from the Democratically controlled local government who would much rather be spending the money on Ultra-Liberal, Radical-Leftist programs. I'm smiling just thinking about it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes, Life Member at both the NRA and SCI.

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
damn right i am a member

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
YES.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
You bet!!

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
NRA Life; also:
Law Enforcement Alliance of America (LEAA) Life
California Rifle & Pistol Association (CRPA) Life
SCI Annual

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Yes. For all my adult life.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a member, but it looks to me like they would have a lot more money for use against the gun grabbers if they curtailed about half of their mailings.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been a member for many years and I agree they have pissed me off a couple of times with their rabid approach. I just keep thinking that they are the most powerful organization between me and the anti-gun/hunting crowd and I find comfort in that.

Someone took offense at the NRA accepting advertising from companies offering enclosure hunts. The NRA represents all shooters. We have to stand together whether we agree on the other guys ethics or not. The more fragmented we become the more we become vulnerable to the antis.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Yes, for a long time.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Became a Life Member in December 1968 after returning from Veit Nam. Christmas present to myself for returning. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yep

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have been starting a long LONG time ago.

Amazed at the number of gun owners and hunters that are not.

SADDENED by the statement of a guy that used to work for me when he haid we should just compromize with the ANTIS.

I explained that we have compromised long ago and the line is NOW IN THE SAND!

Just the view of a crotchety old guy!

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
NRA Life
CCW license
Six full auto and looking for number seven
My gun safe runneth over
Life is so much better now!!!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote