New
Find
Notify
Tools

which trail camera?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
its bear baiting time and this year i thought it would be fun to have a couple of these cameras up. some were spendy around 500 each, i dont think i want to get into it that deep. any ideas or experience would be great. i want a digital so i can see what was there right away, since i spend the weekend there and wont be able to develop film. thanks for any ideas or where they are the cheapest. jeff

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
As folks answer would they separate digital and film cameras please. Just seems like digital will pay for itself fairly quickly!

Am I wrong?
Best of both??
Cost??

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our members are making their own digital game cams for about $200-$300 depending on which camera you use and how fancy you want it. There are now plug and play boards where you don't have to hack the camera wiring, you just plug in the sensor cables and timer cables. You just have to mount the electronic boards and camera in a case you choose.

Homemade game cam forum

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?showforum=50

Highlander game cams has gone bye bye. I got this email from Allen about Highlander.

Quote:

Dear Sir,

As you may know Highlander Sports has gone out of business.

My partner and I are the designers of the Photospy digital cameras that they sold. My partner and I plan on serviceing the black and white and color cameras that are returned for repair. I also plan to upgrade the camera software with the latest upgrades.

We are the only ones that have the technical know how, schematics and software to do this. If you know of anyone else that is offering this type of support I would appreciate it if you let us know.

If anyone offers to sell the Photospy digital cameras I would also like to be informed.

I may also offer repair for the non digital film based cameras that Highlander sold.

If you are interested in this type support for the products that you or your members may have please email me at aedavis@direcway.com.

Allen Davis

Leaf River will have their digital out soon, about $299.00 retail is what I heard. We'll have it in our online store when it comes out. They also have a good 35mm game cam called the Trail Scan using the Canon Owl PF camera which has the better 35 foot flash range. Most have only 25 foot flash range.

Stealthcam has a digital out for $299.00 but I haven't played with one yet. If it's anything like their 35mm Stealthcam it may be best to avoid buying it. The 35mm version is about 50/50 work/no workie. Pretty dismal failure rate if you ask me. I'm seeing the same for the digital from posts on hunting forums already. People just can't lay off the cheap $67.00 Wally World price. I know one person who returned 7 of them to get one Stealthcam that worked. I usually stop beating my head on the wall after 1 return trip.

Camtrakker had a digital out but they pulled it off the market for awhile and then started selling it again. Last I saw it was $700 or in that range somewhere.

NonTypical has the Cuddeback digital. I haven't used one so I can't comment on it.

More info and reviews

http://www.jesseshunting.com/cams.html

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote