New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I wasting my time hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I live in PA and finding private land to hunt if growing increasingly frustrating. I even took up archery, hoping it would be easier to find land. I find, I'm almost a natural at archery, but still have no private land to hunt. But there's more to it thatn just private land.

Probably the biggest draw back is that hunting locally, in Chester or Berks counties, doesn't give me the big woods feeling I used to get in Potter or Clinton counties years ago. I want to be away, not dirve back and forth the same day or staying in a Motel 6. What I would like, is a camp, maybe 2 or 3 hours from Chester county, that I can go to on and off season. But the financial reality is that it won't happen for a long time, if ever.

Hunting deer in PA is starting to seem fruitless, unless I can get private land and start my own deer management. I won't say there are no deer, but upstate poachers are doing a number on the herds, then crying there's no deer in season.

Instead of leasing a camp each year, etc., am I better off saving and taking hunting trips? Like elk in New Mexico, or Couse deer in Colorado, etc.?

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, with urbanization a never ending scourge, you make opportunities and take what you can get. It may not be your idea of a hunting utopia, but until you can afford to either get out and buy the kind of place, or experience to do the kind of hunting you love, you scratch out the best you can and make the best of it. Kind of sad, I know, but it works for me. I've just recently begun travelling to hunt, and those opportunities I get are cherished. But so are the ones that I work hard to make locally.

Some might even say you should feel fortunate for having what you do. I have lived and worked in Boston most of my life, and being where I am, it's no simple feat finding *any* hunting friendly and target rich places--but it's entirely possible.

Some of the places I hunt might shock you--like goose and duck honey holes adjacent to inner city neighborhoods (mostly saltwater marsh areas), with all that comes with it--stolen cars and their parts in the water, gang tags on the piers and seawalls, shopping carts, etc. But I've had some of the best hunts in my life in places like that. It's somewhat surreal and clearly, not for everyone Wink, but hey, I take what I can get, especially when it means I *can* hunt 6 days a week, oftentimes on my way to work. But then again for you, you might just consider relocating or what you mention, holding out locally until you can afford travel. Me, I don't think I'll ever stop hunting locally, both because I don't ever want to see what has been done here for literally hundreds of years die, but also because I get in some truly fantastic hunting.

Hang in there and figure it out, save up or I guess consider a move. In any event, never let the bastards grind you down, eh?

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josey,
I live 10 minutes away from mid-town manhattan.
There are huge bucks in my area, and there are monsters in PA as well. The key is to bowhunt them, right outside of the big city's....thats where all the deer, as well as the big ones, are found. Ask homeowners for permission. Also without bringing attention to yourself, park in mall, supermarket, etc. parking lots and sneak off into the woods. oyu'll find lots of deer in these places. Good Luck

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read Kammo's post just as I posted mine....you get the idea??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the years, deer and other game species have had to adapt their habits to the way in which we, as humans, change their habitats. The way that we hunt now is going to be different than the way that our dads did when they were our age. We need to adapt our hunting styles, and expectations, if we expect to enjoy the hunt at the same level those before us did. Adapt, change it up, make the best of a tough situation, and be passionate about your pursuit, wherever it may be. Cool

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
Josey,
I live 10 minutes away from mid-town manhattan.

Hey WG, great minds think alike! We ought to meet for a drink someday. My wife lives here around the Bean, but works in Manhattan about a third to a half of the time, and I get down there pretty frequently. She stays in Soho. Holler at me if you like.

Cheers,

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will not answer your questions but is offered to give you a different perspective and to help you to feel better about where you live and hunt.

The zone I hunt is comprised of 60 percent public land and 40 percent private land. The Sierra National Forest and attendant wilderness areas are the majority of the public lands. They occupy the higher elevations, above the foot hills and are characterized by conifer trees, meadows and granitic mountains. The majority of deer on the public lands migrate, wintering at the lower elevations in the chaparral and oak woodlands, returning to the higher mountains every spring as the snow melts.

There are Calidornia Black Tail and Mule Deer plus crosses of the two. Only bucks, fork horn or better, can be shot. The season runs 39 days and ends before the rut starts. It can snow in the higher mountains at any time of the year here, but I have hunted a number of seasons with no snow at all before the season ended.

Unlike your White Tail deer, the deer here do not do well in populated areas. This is not a target rich environment. Normal success ratios run in the less than 7 percent range for the zone I hunt. 9000 deer tags are issued for the area that I hunt and they sell out every year. If I don't break my run, and there is no reason to believe that I will, this will be my tenth year of hunting with out getting an animal.

You can buy a second deer tag here but I never have. I have never been able to fill my first one. Deer tag fees are the fish and game's main source of revenew, so I suspect that they don't actually post the real kill quotas for fear of discouraging hunting and further reducing their revenew base. When it sonws heavily enough and early enough, and on a weekend, the kill may go as high as 10 percent. If we could shoot does, I could have gotten a deer here every year, but we can't so I don't. Fish and Game would like to have antlerless hunts, but the county boards of supervisors can cancel any doe hunt for their county, and it is not politically expedient to allow Bamby's mother to be hunted.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, although I can easily get a wilderness experience that you find hard to get just about any time I want one, things are tough all over. There are more than 35 million people in this state, which is over 900 miles long from its southern to its northern boader, with a total deer harvest of about 120,000 in a good year. If I was hunting for the meat, I would have quit long ago. I hunt to get away and for the experience. Some years it has snowed early and shut off the high country before I could get up there to hunt. Then I had to hunt with all the road hunters, people on quads and trail motor cycles, which is kind of like trying to hunt in a circus but more dangerious. I normally drive 2 to 3 hours to get to where I start walking. I backpack in to get away from people, which puts me in competition with the people using horses. Most of the deer are taken down where the crazies are. I'll keep hunting high when I can because I like it up there a lot better.

I agree with the other respondants: You have to make the best of what you have. You do not have to get an animal to have a good hunt or have a good time hunting. You do have to have hope, but hope is largly a state of mind, and that is one thing that you can controll. It's the things that you experience while you are out there that make hunting worth while. If you don't go, you will never experience any of the good things hunting has to offer, and that's not acceptable to most hunters. Its hunting, not harvesting. So get out there and hunt even if the harvesting is lousy. It's still hunting, and no hunting is a hundred times worse than bad hunting...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Good points.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josy,

I understand your frustration as finding a place to hunt in the Northeast is very difficult. Even if we do find a spot soon something changes and it's not the same.

On the other hand some pay to hunt in some states as I understand it. Also our scenery while not the Rockies is pretty darn good in many places. I have hunting in PA quite a bit and it's true that there are a lot of hunters there.

Keep trying. Try to perfect your skills at getting permission. Try an opening line and be easy about it. Get to know the boss of the land and take time to make a good impression. One of the best ways is to ask to hunt woodchucks or coyotes. If you get started on that they may allow deer and bear hunting that fall or next year.

I thought about how to ask permission to hunt. Just asking for it can work of course. Rather than use those words I usually say that I would like to hunt woodchucks here. It's not asking permission to hunt but just saying what I would like to do. Somehow this is easier for the land boss to say ok. Also if it turns out that where your asking does not work out ask for a referal. That's how I found my best place.

Be good to the landowner. I give them little gifts and say that I can help with emergencies, repairs etc. Just call me or ask while I am there. Be careful where you park your velicle and go alone. Don't take a buddy for a while. Only do this when your 100% positive that another hunter is welcome.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Also good points. I usually start with something that introduces myself, and state right away that I'm willing to help with any chores first (and have been taken up on it--picking corn for a couple hours, for example). Also, nice to give a ham or something as a token of thanks around the holidays (I've not yet once beenn taken up in offered game, though--dressed, of course).

But mostly I'm on public land. As WG stated, near malls and shopping centers can be really hot areas for game. Adjacent to suburban industrial areas also here. Just make sure you know the local regs, as at least here the town or cities allowing discharges of firearms do so individually, and moving 100 yards can mean the difference between being legal, and not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting deer in PA is starting to seem fruitless, unless I can get private land and start my own deer management. I won't say there are no deer, but upstate poachers are doing a number on the herds, then crying there's no deer in season.

It is too bad that you feel that poaching is the problem in the northern tier counties. Having hunted there for the better part of 50 years now I can assure you that the PA game commission has far more to do with the huntable numbers than poaching. In fact I think more farmers shoot deer there for crop damage than poaching. PA has tons of public land and deer are still very common everywhere. Do your pre season scouting and you'll find deer. Good luck.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try and get a groupd of hunters together and form a hunt club. If you have a few people you can trust, you might be able to lease hunting rights on a small piece of property. It's getting tougher to fing any hunting that isn't locked up or commercially leased. If you don't want to hunt some of the suburban areas or fight the crowds on whatever public land is available this may be your only option. It may be cheaper than a guided hunt out of state.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A hunting club is a good option. I am one of 15 members in a club. We each pay $200 for hunting rights. The land owner gets $5 per acre and we have some left for food plots. The farm is 480 acres. We have a large map of the property with stand locations pinned on it. Some guys just bird hunt, half the group does the 9 day gun deer season, and some guys are bow hunters. Works well for us. Public land is NUTS around here during gun season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josy,

There are roughly 50 state game land units within a hour and a half drive from you. PA is very competitive when it comes to hunting and access is tough to get, but I'd wager that if you can finance leasing a camp or cous deer hunts, you can finance your own 10-15 acre parcel and a used tow camper.

It's tough to get access, and the game commission is doing their best to kill the herd off, but the situation isn't that bad. Don't travel any further than you have to. That's where the time is wasted.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josey, unfortunately what you're taking about is not only happening back east, but out west as well. Landowners that used to allow a lot of hunting, now lease it up to outfitters, or only take a handful of high paying customers. As a result, many folks hunt the public land. Between folks riding 4-wheelers everywhere, setting up camp in places that they should be saving to hunt in, and the 100 rounds of target practice prior to the season starting, many of the deer run off the public on to the private land (at least in the eastern part of Wyoming).

It seems that all folks want to do is harvest the big bucks, nothing else. Have you thought about helping a landowner out with his doe problem?? A doe can be just as difficult as a buck, especially with a bow. You not only will be helping the landowner out, but fostering a relationship as well. Maybe in the future, you could make an arrangement that for 4 does I can hunt a buck or whatever. I don't know what landowners back there are like, probably a lot like the guys around here. A little help goes a long way. Give a guy a hand around the ranch at times other than just during hunting season. Offer to help put up hay, brand, or whatever.
I have some awesome private land that I hunt, but the landowner knows that any time he needs help with something I am just a phone call away. I help him with chores, I buy him dinner when he is in town. I not only have a place to hunt, but made a hell of a good friend as well.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting is becoming a RICH-MAN'S SPORT. The good hunts are more-and-more being relegated to private land, difficult-to-draw hunts, and far away places (i.e., Alaska and the like). All cost $$$ - BIG MONEY. Yea, there may be exceptions but they're becoming rarer and rarer.

Why? TOO MANY PEOPLE. Look to Europe to see what the USA will be like THIS CENTURY, and much earlier than you think. I wouldn't encourage young people to take-up shooting or hunting as a hobby - it'll just be frustrating for them.

Too many humans by far - already 6.5 billion on the planet and growing rapidly. There should be 1/3rd this number MAX. There will he HELL-TO-PAY for the over population down the road, because of depleted resources, pollution, and competition. There was more genocide during the 20th Century than any prior century by far - image what the 21st Century will be like? I don't want to think about it. Everyone should read "COLLAPSE" by Jarrod Diamond to get a sense of what's to come.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pathfinder:
quote:

It is too bad that you feel that poaching is the problem in the northern tier counties. Having hunted there for the better part of 50 years now I can assure you that the PA game commission has far more to do with the huntable numbers than poaching. In fact I think more farmers shoot deer there for crop damage than poaching. PA has tons of public land and deer are still very common everywhere. Do your pre season scouting and you'll find deer. Good luck.

Pathfinfer, let me qualify some of my statement. Personally, I hunted the border of Potter and Clinton counties in the lat 70s and 80s. I don't ever remember a hunt where I didn't see deer and I harvest everyone I took a shot at..well...except that 13 pointer, but when I pulled the trigger he looked like a 10 pointer. Uh..does that count as an excuse?

Anyway, I haven't been there in a long while, but reading various posts on huntingpa.com, there is a consensus that poaching is taking its toll. Surburban PA is where the deer are plentiful and when the PA commission realizes that and addresses it, we might see some balance. In the public lands, we need better access and that is slowly imporving as well.

Next, let me say that I have NEVER had a hard time seeing deer. With two toddlers and two teenagers, time for scouting is very limited, but still and all, seeing deer has never been a problem for me. I'm not saying I see deer everytime out, but it's not a complaint of mine.

During buck season, I almost had a mature doe and her offspring walk into me (4 yards), before she whiffed me. I was in blaze orange, with no scent control, and standing on a log. Being still is the key IMHO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few additional thoughts. I have state park that is 15 minutes from me! Over 1000 acres huntable by archers. I've been there a few times and it has that big woods feeling. BUT, the one time I brought my brother with me, we spent 12 hours in the woods and when we returned to our vehicles, their tires were flat. PETA goofballs.

With regard to public land, my biggest concern is the safety of my son. And that's also the biggest reason I'm looking for private land. I'm not skiddish by any means, but it seems very unsafe these days.

As far as harvesting a doe or a buck, I'm really not that worked up. I'd rather my son harvest a deer. We'll hit the junior hunt this year and I hope he scores a doe. It would be the best.

Writing letters and interpersonal communications are definately my strong suits. I just need to make time to seek out those who have the land. I'm willing to shoot whatever ails them. My brother and I are looking to take care of a woodchuck problem for one fella and that could lead to something.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're all welcome to come hunt with me! I can drive 15 minutes north of Winnipeg and hunt. Or I can drive 10 hours and still hunt. Our Wildlife Management Areas average 10-12,000 hectares, with a few in the hundreds of thousands of hectares. And there are about a hundred of them in the Province. And hunting private land is pretty easy, you can find plots and maps and there are a lot of folks out in the sticks who wouldn't mind some roasts and steaks in exchange for hunting rights. And hunters now are snapping up Crown land in groups and sharing the hunting area. 80 acres split between 4 or 5 guys is pretty reasonable! Especially if someone is looking for moose, another for bear, one s a bow hunter and you have a pair of deer hunters, there's lots of room to stretch out and hunt. Only problem is you need to immigrate... We'll let damn near anyone in this country, but 'Murican's have a tough time. Just like a Canuck trying to get 'Murican citizenship...

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99, as often, I agree with your perspective, in this case for sure. That is a very nice offer form Mikey B. I think a lot of it is very dependent on your available time and what you can do with it.

Ackley Improved User, I have read some quotes from 'The Collapse' I think I need to get a copy from the library, I hope we can continue to manage our resources here better, I will say that many states, and especially Georgia have done a good job of managing their wildlife resources.

Georgia had virtually no deer naturally, with the exception of the very small subspecies of deer on Cumberland Island. A pioneer in Georgia wildlife management, Jack Crockford traded turkeys for deer with Texas and Wisconsin. Georgia now has a great Whitetail population, with many entire counties employing trophy management practices. Even at that, one must really put in their homework in order to have success on the public lands. Getting permission to hunt on private land is not as easy as it once was, but it is still do-able.
I agree with Kamo Gari, don't let it/em grind you down.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Hook:
This will not answer your questions but is offered to give you a different perspective and to help you to feel better about where you live and hunt.

The zone I hunt is comprised of 60 percent public land and 40 percent private land. The Sierra National Forest and attendant wilderness areas are the majority of the public lands. They occupy the higher elevations, above the foot hills and are characterized by conifer trees, meadows and granitic mountains. The majority of deer on the public lands migrate, wintering at the lower elevations in the chaparral and oak woodlands, returning to the higher mountains every spring as the snow melts.

There are Calidornia Black Tail and Mule Deer plus crosses of the two. Only bucks, fork horn or better, can be shot. The season runs 39 days and ends before the rut starts. It can snow in the higher mountains at any time of the year here, but I have hunted a number of seasons with no snow at all before the season ended.

Unlike your White Tail deer, the deer here do not do well in populated areas. This is not a target rich environment. Normal success ratios run in the less than 7 percent range for the zone I hunt. 9000 deer tags are issued for the area that I hunt and they sell out every year. If I don't break my run, and there is no reason to believe that I will, this will be my tenth year of hunting with out getting an animal.

You can buy a second deer tag here but I never have. I have never been able to fill my first one. Deer tag fees are the fish and game's main source of revenew, so I suspect that they don't actually post the real kill quotas for fear of discouraging hunting and further reducing their revenew base. When it sonws heavily enough and early enough, and on a weekend, the kill may go as high as 10 percent. If we could shoot does, I could have gotten a deer here every year, but we can't so I don't. Fish and Game would like to have antlerless hunts, but the county boards of supervisors can cancel any doe hunt for their county, and it is not politically expedient to allow Bamby's mother to be hunted.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, although I can easily get a wilderness experience that you find hard to get just about any time I want one, things are tough all over. There are more than 35 million people in this state, which is over 900 miles long from its southern to its northern boader, with a total deer harvest of about 120,000 in a good year. If I was hunting for the meat, I would have quit long ago. I hunt to get away and for the experience. Some years it has snowed early and shut off the high country before I could get up there to hunt. Then I had to hunt with all the road hunters, people on quads and trail motor cycles, which is kind of like trying to hunt in a circus but more dangerious. I normally drive 2 to 3 hours to get to where I start walking. I backpack in to get away from people, which puts me in competition with the people using horses. Most of the deer are taken down where the crazies are. I'll keep hunting high when I can because I like it up there a lot better.

I agree with the other respondants: You have to make the best of what you have. You do not have to get an animal to have a good hunt or have a good time hunting. You do have to have hope, but hope is largly a state of mind, and that is one thing that you can controll. It's the things that you experience while you are out there that make hunting worth while. If you don't go, you will never experience any of the good things hunting has to offer, and that's not acceptable to most hunters. Its hunting, not harvesting. So get out there and hunt even if the harvesting is lousy. It's still hunting, and no hunting is a hundred times worse than bad hunting...Rusty.

Well Rusty, you must be hunting in the same area as me! I could not agree with you more.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to hunting in PA and wasting your time, I probably waste more time hunting than most folks do. Most of it is in PA. Trust me, my wife would agree with me on this one.

Less than three hours from center city Philadelphia (pronounced fil the del fee uh), there are many areas that have public owned hunting land with adequate populations of deer, grouse, and also turkeys to hunt. While the populations have been reduced by the AR/HR program, in most cases there are still enough deer to make hunting worthwhile. I do go up north to hunt in the big woods areas and cherish the experience, but in some of those areas you should be prepared to have some days in which you don't see any deer at all.

Some suggestions for you. Log on to the Pa. Game Commission's website and check out the locations of the many state gamelands. Pick one and download the highly detailed map available for it. Go there before hunting season starts and take some hikes to see what the area is like. At the worst, you will have a nice day hiking in the outdoors. Maybe you will find the place you are looking for.

A second suggestion. Log on to the DCNR's website and find out about the state forests within three hours of your area. One where the deer population is fairly good it the Michaux State Forest. Many dirt roads crisscross this forest, and there are a whole lot of hiking trails as well. It extends from somewhere around Mount Holly (near Carlisle) to the Maryland line. There are usually doe licenses left over for Adams County.

Go for it where it comes to spending a few hard-earned bucks on a hunting trip somewhere else. It will give you an experience to remember and will also give you something to compare PA to.

Just my thoughts.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I face the same thing here in Connecticut
Years ago there were Farms and Open land and
no one gave a shit if you hunted.
Now adays,with all the farms chopped up for House lots the influx is serious anti hunting.
It has gone as far as new residents trying to close the Gun club that has been there for atleast fifty years."You would Think they saw the club sign,when they were going to look at the lots" Now adays,I go to Maine I hunt in
Connecticut for Deer on private land but I sure this slowly willcome to an end. This is what they call progress. Keep looking,being in the woods alone is truly one of the few pleasures
left.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that is a good reason that I have moved to Oregon 10 yrs ago...

However, making a living in areas where the hunting is good , gives a draw back that it is much much harder to make a buck also....

Every time I go back to the East Coast I am just floored on the number of people and the number of transplants in what use to be Rural Virginia, when I go down to Tennessee and North Carolina...
Atlanta has people from every where almost from Chicago east....

And Florida, it just amazes me the number of people it keeps absorbing from " UP North"... when I lived in Fla as a kid, you were WAAY Down South..

Between the number of people on the east coast, the amount of land that is goobled up by those with a lot of money with a desire to have a place to "get away from it all"... so they buy 500 acres and 5000 No Trespassing Signs.... and they all seem to be city people who are anti gun and anti hunting...I am amazed there is any hunting left at all on the East Coast...

Even places like Montana and Wyoming, Colorado are no immune to the Anti Hunting EnvironMENTAL Wackos...

Yeah Hunting being a family tradition where people can go out and teach your children about nature etc, is fastly disappearing in much of the USA....

Good luck....& Best Wishes....

seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo, you have a PM

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
The miwest is no exception. Here in Kansas, land that I have been hunting all of my adult life, is now leased to out of state "hunters".
$5,000 now exactly how am we supposed to compete with that?
Public hunting in Kansas is a joke. The few areas within on hours drive are pretty easy to find, just follow the line of tail lights. Yes it has turned into a rich mans sport.
As far as the land owners, the dollar speaks a lot louder than help with harvest, fixing fences, cutting wood, etc.
I find myself feeling very bitter about the whole thing. It's just become too much trouble. I really feel sorry for our kids.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.... but reading various posts on huntingpa.com, ....

That's your problem right there.

huntingpa.com has got to be the most negative, doomsday, confrontational, anti-Game Commission, anti-Alt, kill-everything-that-moves site that I've ever seen.

If those guys don't kill something on EVERY trip, they claim it's a conspiracy against them.

That site SUCKS. Yes, SUCKS. Take everything you read there with a HEAVY dose of skepticism.

As for hunting in PA, I love it.

And I was born there, raised there, and hunt PA every year. PA is a sportman's delight. Get away from Philly a bit, and I bet your chances of finding a spot to hunt go WAY up. There's hardly anyone around any of the areas that I hunt (western PA) that won't give you permission. If you were closer to Clarion County, I could put you on a dozen properties (farms and woods) where you could not only get permission, but see (and shoot) deer. Same goes for Mercer, Butler, Lawrence, and yes, even Allegheny. There are some huge bucks running the outskirts of Pittsburgh, and with a little legwork, you can still secure permission there in some prime spots. I have people (landowners) ask ME to hunt there land and control their deer. A lifetime of living in the area, always looking for new spots (some of my very favorites are now covered in houses, etc), and a little "networking", help. Also, don't give up on public land. Some of it is great hunting, with very little company. Yeah, the Game Lands can get pretty cozy with other hunters, but there are plenty of other spots to hunt, and be relatively alone.

Don't give up. The opportunities are out there. Get away from the city, and things change pretty quick.

Here's wishing you a great season this year!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teat Hound: Thanks for the recognition and support. It would be nice to be able to say that I am glad that there is someone else like me out there, but we both know only too well that there are already too many people like us out there in addition to all the crazies. Thanks again, Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User: I wouldn't encourage young people to take-up shooting or hunting as a hobby - it'll just be frustrating for them.

I can't believe noone else caught this! I can't believe that someone interested in shooting/hunting would say such a moronic statement! We need more hunters and shooters. How else do you expect to keeps your hunting and shooting rights. Women frustrate me but that doesn't mean I shouldn't like them.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ElCaballero, you're the f#$#ing moron, and you prove it by being to stupid to even to know it! Why encourage someone to take-up a hobby that's disappearing - hunters need game to hunt and places to hunt. Both are rapidly disappearing. Go HUNT for a BRAIN!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Hunting for many is so much more than a mere hobby, it's a tradition and a passion. To keep that tradition going and to involve others is what we need. You know, I've never heard anyone suggest what you did. What is that anyway, donkey logic?

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
hunters need game to hunt and places to hunt. Both are rapidly disappearing.

My state has lots of game to hunt. Whitetailed deer are unlimited, as long as you keep buying tags. As far as places to hunt look around.Every one wants to hunt private ground and have there own little game reserve where they have 3 food plots and 7 feeders with a stand above it. Those places are rare. We have a ranch and control around 1000 acres not a big place by any means just a family deal. There is a section that is about 200 acres that I don't hunt and won't let anybody hunt except one guy and his party. Why? He and his party cut brush three or four weekends a year. Yeah so it may cost them a sore back and a few bucks worth of gas but I know they are not rich.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ElCaballero.

Thanks on behalf of those guys - its a priviledge to be allowed on private ground - and its a pleasure to work for your hunting.

I live in England - NO public land - just privately owned ground.

I treat the landowner with the respect he deserves, with gratitude for the permission - and with honesty as to the value of what he is providing me. If I can be a useful part of the 'team' by helping with work, reporting fencing problems or stock with problems I'm happy to do so.

This attitude seems to be one that is appreciated - I hunt over 16 farms currently - and regularly get folks phoning me to complain about deer damage and ask if I would be prepared to help them!?!

I don't pay for any of it. However, I have a lot of people who are now good friends.

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While it is difficult to compete with the instant gratification of computer games and the canned entertainment of TV, I do find young people who like hunting and will continue to do it long after I introduce them to it. I helped to introduce my first youngster (other than my own children) to hunting in the late 1960's. Last year, I took two youngsters, aged 12 and 14 hunting with me. Both will be back. I have attached a photo of the 14-year-old with his first buck, taken last year.

I do tend to agree that we are losing the battle for the hearts and minds of Americans, and that at some point many of our hunting venues will disappear. I am not, however, willing to give up the fight with a whimper. We hunters must recognize what an uphill fight we have against the ANTI's and start climbing, dammit. If we don't, AIU's gloom and doom will become a reality. Time to pony up, guys. Take a youngster hunting. Let him shoot the buck, get him hooked, and watch what you planted grow into something worthwhile.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting for many is so much more than a mere hobby, it's a tradition and a passion. To keep that tradition going and to involve others is what we need. You know, I've never heard anyone suggest what you did. What is that anyway, donkey logic?

KG, in a strange way, I agree a bit with AIU. Expose people, especially young people to hunting. Get them to understand what it is and what sacrifices they'll have to make to keep hunting. Then, let them know that if there is anything else they'd rather be doing than hunting, they'd be better off going and doing that.

All that said, I think that we are in the good old days. For example, when I started hunting, antelope weren't so plentiful, so most hunting for them was drawing only. Now, I can go to WY as a nonresident and buy 4 doe antelope tags (does, but still antelope) over the counter and go hunting - I don't have to get drawn to be able to hunt there. The same is true for deer, and in even more states. The ducks and geese are coming back in numbers that I haven't seen in decades, and I'm learning from my friends that I can hunt in more places than I thought possible. Last year, a good buddy took me duck hunting within sight of Boston's skyline!

But, as much or more than ever, you gotta wanna. Hunters have to be flexible, and willing to travel. If hunting is to you a passion and something that you can't live without, then the hassles and cost of travel are more than worth it. If the beginners can't or won't understand that, then they are probably better off taking up golf.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RupertBear:

KG, in a strange way, I agree a bit with AIU. Expose people, especially young people to hunting. Get them to understand what it is and what sacrifices they'll have to make to keep hunting. Then, let them know that if there is anything else they'd rather be doing than hunting, they'd be better off going and doing that.

Well OK, I'll agree to that statement, but that's a far cry from not exposing it to them at all, isn't it? Free will and all that. Wink

quote:
The ducks and geese are coming back in numbers that I haven't seen in decades, and I'm learning from my friends that I can hunt in more places than I thought possible. Last year, a good buddy took me duck hunting within sight of Boston's skyline!

Well hell, that sounds like big fun! Nice guy, that buddy o' yours. Smiler

quote:
But, as much or more than ever, you gotta wanna. Hunters have to be flexible, and willing to travel. If hunting is to you a passion and something that you can't live without, then the hassles and cost of travel are more than worth it. If the beginners can't or won't understand that, then they are probably better off taking up golf.

Truer words were perhaps never spoken. But an individual suggesting that they never be exposed to it because it's difficult I just don't see. Lots of the sweetest things in life are worked for, not handed over.

Good points there, Roop!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
quote:
.... but reading various posts on huntingpa.com, ....

That's your problem right there.

huntingpa.com has got to be the most negative, doomsday, confrontational, anti-Game Commission, anti-Alt, kill-everything-that-moves site that I've ever seen.

If those guys don't kill something on EVERY trip, they claim it's a conspiracy against them.

That site SUCKS. Yes, SUCKS. Take everything you read there with a HEAVY dose of skepticism.

Huntingpa has gotten much better since a certain poster has been banned. You still have his clones who want a deer behind every tree, but the tenor of the site seems to have changed a bit. I will withhold final judgement for awhile.

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I must say a quick thanks to all of you hunters who have written about finding land to hunt on and what a difficult process it can be.

Teh reason I thank you is that I sometimes forget how lucky I am. I live in Southwest Colorado and have literally, millions of acres to hunt. No charge, no sign up sheets, nothing. I just get up and either go from the house or set up a wall tent up in the mountians and hunt from there. I often have mule deer running through the field that surrounds my house and in the winter have elk bedded down in that same field.

Thanks for the reminder for how good I and others in the west have it.... I invite you to come out and see and hunt some of the most beautiful country in the world. And no I don't work for the state tourism board....lol

Posts: 560 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Huntingpa has gotten much better since a certain poster has been banned.

Who was banned? (If you don't want to post it here, feel free to drop me a note direct).

But, in my opinion, there were a whole bunch of guys that just preached the same tired story there, and wanted to fight about everything.

I admit to not having been to the site in a couple years, because it was SO bad. It's good to hear that it's improving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With regard to huntingpa.com, the minute I read "...no deer." I move to the next topic. As I wrote earlier, I've never had a problem seeing deer.

There were two main points to my post:

Due to MY current lack of time to scout and access to private land, would it be more time and perhaps cost efficient to elk in New Mexico, etc., than deer in PA?

But my primary concern is now, where can I hunt and my son is safe?

Enjoying the outdoors, especially in PA, has always been the priority, with bagging a deer a distant second. One of my best days hunting was watching two buck dueling at about 200 yards, archery season of course : ) Simply amazing as the sun was setting.

They continued to spar, but faded as light withdrew. I ran out the that week and bought the best pair of Nikon binos I could afford. I'll take every minute I can get watching wildlife moments like that and you need good glass to do it.

THANK YOU everyone who has posted. I have 3-month old daughter and lack of sleep can't hurt one's perspective. I'll go back reread some of your posts and just might end up on your doorstep in December!