New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I wasting my time hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
You pose an interesting question. While hunting elk, whether it is in New Mexico or somewhere else is a great idea, it will cost you considerably more than hunting deer in PA. I can give you the name of an outfit at which you will most probably take a decent elk if that is what you wish to do. A step down, and quite a bit cheaper, would be a good mule deer hunt in Wyoming or Montana. Again, if you are interested in such a hunt, I can suggest an outfit at which your success rate will be very near 100%, depending upon how picky you are. You would surely see thirty or more mule deer bucks on such a trip. A Texas whitetail hunt might be just as rewarding. Again, if you are interested, I can recommend an outfitter. Perhaps you might be interested in another type of big game, say moose? Once again, I can recommend an outfit at which your success rate would approach 100%.

You could check out several of the booking agents who post on these boards. Ray, Mark, and Ann come to mind. I have not used their services, but hear good comments about them. By the way, I am not a booking agent. I have taken over forty hunting trips for various species of game since 1991, and am always willing to share my experiences with anyone. My email address is posted in my profile.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
an outfit at which you will most probably take a decent elk if that is what you wish to do. A step down, and quite a bit cheaper, would be a good mule deer hunt in Wyoming or Montana. Again, if you are interested in such a hunt, I can suggest an outfit

I'm going to ignore the sheer discrimination of the idea that places elk as the pinnacle of game and point out the advantage of either outfitted or guided hunts. If you aren't familar with the terrain or the hunting methods used on mule deer/antelope/western whitetails or whatever, consider hiring a guide or at least using an outfitter as an investment in your education.

Once you learn enough about others states and how to hunt them, then you can go solo and have a fair chance of success.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No discrimination implied or stated Rupert. Sorry you saw it that way. Try not to be terribly offended.

My point was that an elk hunt is by its nature usually somewhat more expensive than a mule deer hunt, and it is usually a longer hunt, timewise. Having said that, I have been on high country mule deer hunts in Wyoming and also in British Columbia and found them to be wonderful experiences.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived and hunted in New Jersey for almost 30 years, then moved to Texas 4 years ago. What I really like is elk hunting, because of the country and the walking, vs sitting in a tree stand close to someone's house.

I went elk hunting in New Mexico last year - on the second day of the hunt I knew I wanted to do it again but that it would be easier to explain to my wife if I came home with an elk. There were times on that hunt, as on most hunts, where I was pretty sure I was wasting my time. But I had a hard time thinking of what I would rather be doing.

I did come back with an elk (my first after 6 hunts), and I am going back. I figure to be hunting elk from here on in.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

posted Hide Post
I would be applying for dream hunts in the west. build up your points and go on a dream hunt every few years. not saying do not hunt PA just another idea to expand your opportunities.

Get the PointHunter app it will look up and tell you if you drew. It will remind you to apply in a text or in app message or via email. All your choice. Here is a link to get the app. https://www.gotmytag.com/download/TexasHuntingForum
It will do this for all your family and friends on your won app so you know if they drew as well.

Posts: 24 | Location: Utah | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Got my tag rather than dredging up 12 year old posts why don't you offer your services in the guides outfitters section or the classifieds.
This area is for forum discussions not advertising....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did come back with an elk (my first after 6 hunts), and I am going back. I figure to be hunting elk from here on in.

One pays one way or another.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I live in Chester Co. There are some huge deer around here and most of the counties surrounding the Philly area. I do agree with you Josie. Getting permission is tough. My wife and I move into a house a few years ago and lost our hunting spot (no matter how good it was I'm not dealing with my monster-in-law). Tried state game lands once and it was absolute joke. It was nuts. Lots of hunters from the city because it was the closest place to hunt. Luckily our neighbor is gracious to take us hunting but, it's limited since there are other that hunt the property as well. We may only get out 5 or 6 times (as you know we are talking from mid Sept till the end of Jan). Yes we are hunting but, it's not the same. So every year I've been knocking on doors and slowly expanding out. No luck so far but, still haven't give up hope.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
12 year old thread ........ wow

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
12 year old thread dug up just for advertising purposes, nonetheless. GotMyTag did this several times for the free ad space.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josey,
Ive been a booking agent for many years, but the truth is booking agents work off a commission so all we have is clients that sell their hunts for money, and mostly its a well to do mans game from one degree to another..Thats the facts of life, hunting is for the most part costly, even when you have a place to go for free,its still not cheap as a rule...

However, I suggest that you hunt a state that has a lot of Forest, BLM, and State land. You will be out gas, lodgeing, etc. at varios costs as to how you go about it..Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc has lots of open land you can hunt in..

Texas has day hunts that are productive at $100 per day and up for deer, pigs and Javalina. check with the citys for the local ranches that take hunters..Arizona has some good Mule deer, Coues and elk on Govt. land.

If it were me I would do some traveling and find a good fed. land hunt, do the scouting, then figure on a yearly hunt, once I located the spot I liked based on game spotted..Go in Aug. or sept. to scout and hunt in Oct Nov. Dec.

Draw hunts in Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas can be very productive and camping is allowed..

Wish I could be more helpful, but its a process only you can work on, and sooner or later find a suitable hunt that works for you.

All my elk hunts, for instance will run you $1500 TO $2500 for a cow elk, but that includes a non resident license, lodging and breakfast and evening meal, plus a guide..Considering the perks, cow success runs right at 100%, unless you can't shoot.. Its a inexpensive hunt, and you would be welcomed to camp out, but the price would $1500. Im pretty sure.

There are cheaper elk hunts in Colorado at $1000 or a bit less for cows but you buy the $400 license, food and lodging, no guide, so be sure what you get with a cheap hunt and what the kill ratio is..

I don't know if this helps you any but Ive been doing this for many years and this is the best when everything thing is considered..I get a lot of calls about cheap hunts the client took and never even saw an elk, that won't happen with me.

BTW, I had no idea that Colorado had a huntable herd of Coues deer..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the only thing I get to do in life because I want to is hunt. I took up dove shooting this year just to get more time hunting.

There is nothing I enjoy more than a day in the field only to bring back some game and making diner for my family and friends.

Another reason my head is turning back to small game hunting is that I am of the opinion deer numbers in E. Kentucky have crashed. I know no one from the State agrees with me. Someone on the forum has a sig line that reads, "We are hunters. When there is no buffalo we will hunt mice." I concur.

I just realized this was an old dead thread. I am sorry for keeping the breath in the corpse.

Posts: 12256 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josywales:
I live in PA and finding private land to hunt if growing increasingly frustrating. I even took up archery, hoping it would be easier to find land. I find, I'm almost a natural at archery, but still have no private land to hunt. But there's more to it than just private land.

Probably the biggest draw back is that hunting locally, in Chester or Berks counties, doesn't give me the big woods feeling I used to get in Potter or Clinton counties years ago. I want to be away, not dirve back and forth the same day or staying in a Motel 6. What I would like, is a camp, maybe 2 or 3 hours from Chester county, that I can go to on and off season. But the financial reality is that it won't happen for a long time, if ever.

Hunting deer in PA is starting to seem fruitless, unless I can get private land and start my own deer management. I won't say there are no deer, but upstate poachers are doing a number on the herds, then crying there's no deer in season.

Instead of leasing a camp each year, etc., am I better off saving and taking hunting trips? Like elk in New Mexico, or Couse deer in Colorado, etc.?

I agree, trying to find private property to hunt on in any of the counties surrounding Philadelphia is pretty close to impossible. You need to have someone that already has a place "get you in" or it ain't happening.. I gave up on it many years ago... but the Poconos(carbon county) are nowhere near as crowded with hunters as they used to be.. I haven't hunted there in 10+ years, but as of when I left, there were plenty of deer and not many archery hunters.

and you have to remember, there are 7 million acres of public land in Pa. and with only about 300,000 archers thats about 23 acres per hunter.. You should be able to find a decent place. but like you said, its time and money..

So that being said, I would say keep trying to make the local contacts, but until you do, spend your money on hunts with professional outfitters/guides. I don't think you'll regret it..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
Josey,
I live 10 minutes away from mid-town manhattan.

Hey WG, great minds think alike! We ought to meet for a drink someday.

KG

I just had a funny thought imagining you two talking about following a bloodtrail through the mall parking lot. "I found some blood on top of the minivan's bumper, so I knew he was hit high. But it was bright red so chances were he wasnt gonna make it over to Macy's."

I am only kidding of course and happy to hear you are adapting in order to follow your passion.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote