THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Turkeys are really showing up (Got one Tuesday)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkeys are really showing up (Got one Tuesday)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
They were out strutting this morning and our season opens on April 13th.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks like my front field. Sadly, our season starts after hens are on the nest and the toms head off to who knows where.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Starting to see them strut here in Wisconsin.

A friend of mine sent me a picture from southern Wis.

That has about 200 turkeys in a field.

My season starts the 17th.

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Starting to see them strut here in Wisconsin.

A friend of mine sent me a picture from southern Wis.

That has about 200 turkeys in a field.

My season starts the 17th.

My pasture looks like this a lot:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wild turkey is a real wildlife success story here in Wis.

Going from none to very hunt able numbers in a few decades.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in the burbs and have had them on my lawn and roof!

Hip

Posts: 1826 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I got skunked today. I called two Toms in, but they hung up 75 yards away for half an hour. I had my camera camouflaged and set so that I could touch it and got this photo.

The line of weeds behind them is at 85 yards.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There must be something good in your paddocks to attract that many turkeys Frank. What would they be eating ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
There must be something good in your paddocks to attract that many turkeys Frank. What would they be eating ?

I think it's the bugs, it's easier for them to find them since I cut my pasture twice a year. I'm lucky in that my woods and my neighbor's woods have big roosting trees on them.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I had to mow lawns today so I didn't go out to my blind. 2020

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
This big boy hung up at about 50 yards this morning. I just ordered some HEVI-shot and a new choke tube.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should try thugging them. I have done it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...eSBhdHRhY2tzIGRlY295

When they come in it is exciting.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If I could crawl that would be interesting to try. But after eight knee operations that won't work.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought some Hevi-shot (Tungsten) and a new Primos Jellyhead choke tube and just sighted in the shotgun.

This load hits a full foot higher and a foot to the right of my lead load and recoils a lot heavier. Multiple targets showed over 200 pellets in a 10" circle and more than a half a dozen lethal hits in a life sized turkey head/neck target

Also, it costs me near $10 a shot with tax and shipping.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know if I hate a turkey enough to spend 10 dollars on one.

Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I don't know if I hate a turkey enough to spend 10 dollars on one.

Wink

Now who is the Turkey here? archer

Posts: 1826 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Called this guy and another Tom in from about 1/4 mile away this morning. He came in hot to my decoy and strutted up about 30 yards from me, so I let him have a load of hevi-shot. He started the flop and the other Tom ran over to investigate him. The other Tom had two beards so I regret being so quick to take this guy.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
There still here. Looking out my back window this afternoon.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
So, I have four big Toms and two hens in the pasture right now. My neighbor just took a big Tom, 200 yards from these guys about 20 minutes ago.

Frank