New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curing Bad Shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with a proper flinch, as long as it is perfected. I have spent years refining mine.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once had an IPSC shooter in the Eastern Province team who flinched so accurately, he could shoot headshots at 50 with a 45ACP. Every so often the flinch would catch him out and he could not hit plates reliably when shooting became fast and furious.

Once his flinch was removed, he shot so much better. clap

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Start with a good, light trigger, and an accurate rifle.

I teach a lot of kids here to shoot, and I am really amazed at how well some of them shoot once they are shown the basics.

There are some, however, who will never make good shots, no matter what you do with them.

Funny enough, here I have the girls shoot better, on average, than the boys.

Two girls in particular, my daughter Hessa and her best friend, a girls from Sweden, are extremely good.

Now, if we are talking about hunting, all bets are off.

I have seen people who are extremely good shots, shoot terrible in teh field.

In most of our hunting, one actually jerks the trigger, one does not get the pleasure of gently squeezing off at his leasure.

Try that after having run a mile or so, and shooting off a pair of shooting sticks, at an animal that just stopped to look back and will be taking off any second.

One learns to jerk teh trigger in teh right direction.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dry fire every day out the shop window or when working on a gun or building a gun. I concentrate on follow thur and I want to see where the cross hairs are when the gun snaps..Put a dime on the front sight or your rifle and see if you can pull the trigger and hold the dime on the sight without it falling off, when you can that's a "trigger pull" and yes it can be done and with practice every time...

As a hunter your trigger pull is the one thing that puts meat on the table best. you don'thave to take all day to pull the trigger properly you can even snap shoot once you master the trigger and you should be able to shoot any rifle with two or three practice trigger pulls.
practice makes perfect..Follow thu is as important as the trigger pull itself.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Start with a good, light trigger, and an accurate rifle.

I teach a lot of kids here to shoot, and I am really amazed at how well some of them shoot once they are shown the basics.

There are some, however, who will never make good shots, no matter what you do with them.

Funny enough, here I have the girls shoot better, on average, than the boys.

Two girls in particular, my daughter Hessa and her best friend, a girls from Sweden, are extremely good.

Now, if we are talking about hunting, all bets are off.I have seen people who are extremely good shots, shoot terrible in teh field.

In most of our hunting, one actually jerks the trigger, one does not get the pleasure of gently squeezing off at his leasure.

Try that after having run a mile or so, and shooting off a pair of shooting sticks, at an animal that just stopped to look back and will be taking off any second.

One learns to jerk teh trigger in teh right direction.

I knew there was something I liked about you Saeed! You truly do understand the differences.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's called a controlled flinch..I practice it a lot. You can pull a trigger fast, just can't yank it... tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Maybe it isn't correct, but I have the tendency to shoot rifles like I do shotguns. I yank/jerk/slap, whatever it takes to get the gun to fire when I am ready to shoot.

All of us that have been hunting under varying conditions for decades have our own methods/quirks, That WORK for us!!!!

How many of us older/experienced hunters, stop and go thru the litany of checking our breathing, controlling our trigger pull, etc. etc., and how many of us simply pick up our rifle, acquire the sight picture we want-scope or irons, and make the shot???

How many of us older guys simply rely on instinct and KNOW whether we can make the shot or not?????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Ray n CHC,

Excellent explanations...I used to be a very good shot when I was younger..went through a period of over 20 years without firing a rifle..started again about 18 months ago and it did take a few shots...15-20 to get the confidence back. After a hundred odd shots I think I am a better shot today than I used to be...confidence is the key..and as Saeed said, especially when snap shooting off hand, a good trigger is vital. My Blaser has a great trigger, better than any of the other rifles aound...( pls don't get upset Saeed) and is incredibly accurate. I get the sight picture and and just press through the trigger..trying to touch the back of the trigger guard in some sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Maybe it isn't correct, but I have the tendency to shoot rifles like I do shotguns. I yank/jerk/slap, whatever it takes to get the gun to fire when I am ready to shoot.

All of us that have been hunting under varying conditions for decades have our own methods/quirks, That WORK for us!!!!

How many of us older/experienced hunters, stop and go thru the litany of checking our breathing, controlling our trigger pull, etc. etc., and how many of us simply pick up our rifle, acquire the sight picture we want-scope or irons, and make the shot???

How many of us older guys simply rely on instinct and KNOW whether we can make the shot or not?????

Absolutely right..and this is where a good trigger makes all the difference.