THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Seeking a Wyoming Mule Deer Management hunt for 2023 or 2024

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking a Wyoming Mule Deer Management hunt for 2023 or 2024
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings,

I have 10 mule deer points for Wyoming. I am at a point in my hunting career where "the world's biggest trophy" matters little to me, but I do want the experience of a mule deer hunt in Wyoming to burn my points before they become less valuable and/or I get too old to hunt (soon to be 69).

I am seeking a mule deer hunt where I can take a management-level buck, meaning it has antlers that are not in a trophy category, with a good experience of hunting them. A horseback hunt would be icing on the cake. I have no interest in a $4500 or greater (typically $5-6K for trophy) hunt, it is more about the experience and challenge. I'm not being cheap, I hunted all around the world including multiple dangerous game including elephant hunts in Africa, it's that I see spending that much on one game animal seems a bit excessive to me and my interest is not that deep. In addition, we all have heard that hunting for nonresidents in the west is going to become more of a challenge in the future.

I would prefer a guided hunt but would consider a landowner tag/DIY option. Can anybody point me to an option that would meet my criteria?

Thank you in advance.

Quehanna

Posts: 46 | Location: Too far from Africa | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not know if what your asking for is possible in WY.

Did not think Wy. Issued so called land owner tags.

You will need Points to draw a tag.

Your 4500 bottom end might not be doable now days.

I do a DIY hunt in Montana for around 2500 depending on gas prices.

It is about a every other year draw. I have shot some decent bucks and have seen some real monsters.

Good luck in your quest.
But you might have to expand your choice of states.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Pdog is correct, landowner tags are not an option in WY. With 10 pts. you should be able to draw a descent tag. Given that, WY tries real hard to steer you to an outfitter and DIY you aren't allowed as non-resident to hunt Wilderness areas. Doing DIY, if you have or take the time could be productive. I don't see an outfitter discounting his hunts especially if it's horseback, etc. because you are just wanting a low end Mule Deer which with the state of Mule Deer in WY is probably what some one would end up with anyway. I'm not saying WY doesn't have some big ones they do but overall is different story. The good news you have until May to do research and come up with a plan.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
PM sent to Quehanna.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure Triple 3 offers Management mule deer hunts. Phil is a good guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings all,

Thank you for the information and feedback. Sorry for the delayed responses, having a bit of email forwarding problems. I will investigate those leads. Thanks again.

Quehanna

Posts: 46 | Location: Too far from Africa | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of great mule deer hunts that you can draw in Wyoming with 10 PPs.

It is BS that Wyoming requires a guide for NE to hunt in wildernesses areas, but it’s really a non issue as there are lots of deer available on non wilderness land.

I rarely regret leaving Wyoming but when I do, it’s usually when mule deer are on my mind.

Mark Young who posts here lived in Wyoming for years and is a knowledgeable booking agent. I would talk to him. He will be able to point you in the right direction.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Thanks!

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote