THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What was your first "Hi-Power" rifle?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was your first "Hi-Power" rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad bought me a Remington 700 ADL, .270 Win. with a fixed 4x Leuopold 26 years ago. I have bought 10-12 additional rifles since then but still use it at least once a year because it's a great gun and for sentimental reason.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought my first hi-power when I was 15 for $30. Was a 1917 Eddystone. Rebuilt it last year to a 6MM.

Posts: 52 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was a .270 Win in a model 70 FWT Synthetic. My Dad was not a hunter or shooter buy my buddies dad was. I wanted a 22-250 bad but they didn't have one at the store I was at that I could afford. I picked up a Winchester Ammo catalog and started looking at velocities. The .270 seemed like it would work. I bought it and put a Bushnell 6-18x on it and it was my new varmint rifle LOL. My friend and I split the cost of a Speer loading manual and a Lee Anniversary kit. We taught ourselves to load from that book. Those 2 purchases have turned into me spending probably 15-20% of every penny I have made in 15 years on rifles,shooting, and loading paraphanalia. I got lucky as that rifle shot .5-.75 MOA w/ about every bullet I put down the tube. I hit a crow at almost 500 paces (pure luck)and was a hero among my friends for a while!

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Some great stories here. I amazed at the span of rifles from old military surlus (me) to some pretty nice rigs.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1891 7.65 Aregentine Mauser, bought it when I was 19.

Posts: 2 | Location: Glendale,az  | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first rifle I hunted with back in 88 was dad's Winchester 94, and I've always held a special place in my heart for one. The first rifle I bought myself was a Winchester 94 Legacy in .30-30 in '95. Saw the Centennials the previous year and fell in love, but couldn't afford one at the time as I had just graduated college and wasn't making much. Eight years later, got rid of the Legacy and got the Centennial I longed for.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 30 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chet:
Used it to kill five mule deer and two elk....before I learned it was not powerful enough to kill a deer or elk. Big Grin
jumping

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Remington 1959 model 721 270 win, four power weaver scope. Each year shot a paper plate three times to make sure it was still on and went and killed my deer. Got it in 1973, until two years ago bet it hadn't had three boxes of shells through it. Put about 120 rounds through it since then working up load and realizing stock dried out and needed bedding. After got it shooting again maybe another 15 rounds with 15 dead deer , pigs, bob cat or coyote.

Still have the gun, scope is in safe. Bet I can remount the scope, site it in and go kill a deer every year with it till I die.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first high power rifle was a 600 Remington in 308 with a 4 power Lyman scope I paid $150.00 the year was 1977.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote