THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Binocular Suggestions For Someone Who Wears Glasses?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binocular Suggestions For Someone Who Wears Glasses?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I need to purchase a new set of binoculars. They'll mainly be used for hunting the West and they may make a trip or two across the pond in search for my kudu I have yet to take.

I wear glasses and would like to have something that is glasses-friendly because the binoculars I have now I have to take my glasses off when looking through them. Not a good situation I can assure you.

They don't have to be the most expensive there is out there but also not the cheapest. I would like a nice dependable set of binos primarily for chasing elk and mule deer.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Any of the Leupolds with the twist eye pieces are very clear and relatively inexpensive

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2581 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Eagle optics. I don't have their phone number handy, but they are very knowledgeable and have a 30 day no questions asked return policy. They stock a wide variety of binoculars and are highly thought of by birder's who are very particular on their optics.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This last season was my second with a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 10 X 42; something like All Terrain Binoculars. I can use them with sunglasses on or off with a twist of the cup. In the past I've always used cheapie glasses. I am pleased with the pair I have now. When somebody asks me to reccomend a pair of binoculars, or a rifle scope, I always tell them to go to a dealer, and look through eeach pair you think you want. The hype on the advertisment may be just that. A good look is worth a lot.

warthog1134.com

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually, the lower the power the longer the eye relief.

My 7*42 SLC's are awesome in that department, not cheap but worth every penny.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glasses-friendly binoculars are a must for me. I have poor vision and do not want to be taking my glasses on and off.

I have several buddies who have Swarovski EL binoculars and they are wonderfull. BUT, I cannot see the full field of view in them with my glasses on.

I bought a pair of Swaroski SCL binoculars and found them to be much better for me personally.
I bought the 7X30 SCL which I think has been discontinued. I would highly recommend that you check out the curren 8X30 version.

I bought Bushnell, Pentax, Leupold, etc. etc. but found the Swarovski optics were worth the money. You just have to get the ones that work best for you.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My vision is 20/200 and find the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 10 X 42 Binos work well. They have the adjustable eye pieces and at $500 are worth the $$$$

I slipped an "O" ring behind each eye piece to always have the proper adjustment wearing my glasses.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Are you aware of a quality pair of binoculars that doesn't have a way to compensate for someone that wears glasses? I think every one I've ever had did, which in recent years includes Nikon, Steiner, and Swarovskis.
Probably the most important decision is the overall quality of the optics that you need. I really like Swarovskis as their low-light capability is important to me.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Any binoculars with an actual eye relief of 17 mm or more should do well for eyeglass wearers. I don't think I've found any that meet that specification that didn't work with my glasses on. Most with decent twist eye cups in the furthest down position will lay pretty flat with the ocular lens.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes , just look for 'long eye relief' types .I think mine are all 19-20 mm.you might have to roll down the rubber cups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Zeiss Diafuns in 8x30 are great. My father wears glasses and he likes my Diafuns more than any other bino he has used. They are lightwieght and crystal clear. The best binocular for less than $500 and as good as some over $1,000.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Try doing a search in the optics forum here you will find loads of info. I wear glasses and have used Pentax 8X42 with great success.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Looks like I have quite a bit of work to do.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Get lasic surgery... Then you'll have the wide field of view that young people and people with lasic surgery have.

I struggled with binoculars for YEARS and when I had lasic done I literally entered a new world.

If just for binocular use alone it's well worth it but the benefits don't stop there.

With glasses you basically have tunnel vision where the only place your vision is truly clear is straight ahead.

After lasic you have a panoramic view and EVERYTHING is in focus.

I can't imagine how I ever did without it.

Kinda like when I bought my first pair of SERIOUS binoculars.... It's a whole new world.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the better binos should work now. I was lucky enough several years ago to come across a new pair of Bushnell GlassesON binos in 7x35. Best money I ever spent. They quit making them about 5-7 years ago, but check all the auction sites to see if anyone still has them.

I got contacts to solve the issue with fogging glasses. I had a friend that tried Lasic and it didn't work for him. The second shot from the 300 RUM and the cornea of his right eye just flapped down. He can't change it now.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of checking before I bought mine and Pentax had the longest eye relief of all the brands I looked at, including the imports, I bought a pair and love them, 8 X 43DSF, excellent optics and I found them for $380.00

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about the Pentax 8x43 DCF SP binoculars I have a pair for sale that are nearly like new and I'd sell 'em for $350 shipped and insured in the CUS.

After I had my lasic surgery I bought some Zeiss Victory 10x56 binocs and am using them now.

The Pentax binocs are getting kinda lonely now as they just sit there.

They're probably the best binoculars I've ever seen for under a thousand for crispness and light transmission.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
You know I don't if surgery is for me. I've been wearing glasses since I was a kid and they just kinda became part of me. I've given some thought to the contacts but I have a mental problem with sticking something in mye eyes. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!!

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of bushnell 7 x35 sportview that I got nearly 40 years ago and that was 20 years before I started wearing glasses. All I do is roll the cups down and I have no problem but then again they are probably better than the bushnells of today. If your binos have rubber cups just roll them down and try them with your glasses.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get the Swarovski! I wear glasses and don't have to remove them to look through the glasses, and can do so all day long, no bull! Thanks John (8X30 EL)

Posts: 15 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 06 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stiener or Ziess Conquest.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My Zeiss ZClassics work fine

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Best suggestion. Go to a big shop like Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse, and try several to see which one works best for you. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote