THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Boycott Colorado or not, a simple yes no poll.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boycott Colorado or not, a simple yes no poll.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I am aware of the heated discussion going on in another thread, but not everyone wants to get into that. And some value the privacy of their vote.

Let's boil this down to a simple "Yes" or "No" on two questions.

Question:
In response to the recent anti-2nd Amendment laws passed in Colorado, are you in favor of a boycott of the hunting industry there?

Choices:
Yes, Boycott Colorado's hunting industry
No, Support Colorado's hunting industry with my money

Question:
Do you support boycotting Colorados ski resorts, and other non-hunting vacation spots?

Choices:
Yes!
No!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I voted to boycott non-hunting venues and businesses.

No boycott of CO's hunting industry.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I voted no to both. Had Ski Resorts been listed separately I would have voted yes to a boycott.

Reason being, my wife and I enjoy visiting such sites as Bent's Fort and the various state parks/National Forests that provide fishing opportunities.

Also there are places such as Canyon Pintado between Douglas Pass and Rangeley along with other historical sites that we find interesting.

The Ski Resorts/Ski Towns we do not visit anyway, so we have basically boycotted those since 1992, that will not change.

Normally, the largest town we visit or shop in is Grand Junction and that is usually on our way to Collbran or on our way headed home.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Nothing against the hunting industry in general. But I don't travel to anywhere that infringes on my 2nd amendment rights. So I'll be boycotting everything. If the progun folks get it fixed, then I would think about hunting there or doing business with companies that are located there.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has more to do with not giving a gun hateing goverment any of your money in the forms of fees and taxes.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I understand the arguments on both sides. We vote with our pocketbook, one way or the other. Whether I agree or not is irrelevant. I am glad to see that the opinions are strong. That, in and of itself, is a good thing.

Keep 'em coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A year or so ago New Mexico's legislature suddenly changed their law in regards to reciprocity. I had contracted to do a bear hunt and had paid a 50% deposit. The changes would preclude a person from Texas to legally carry a handgun. IIRC I called the state police agency to inquire about the changes and explained politely to the lady I spoke with that I probably cancel my trip and most likely so would the three other fellows in my party. From her response it sounded like they were getting flooded with calls similar to mine. Her response when queried in this regard was that one couldn't believe the number of calls they were getting and most of them were not as pleasant as mine.

Luckily I've no trip planned to Colorado this year so I don't actually have to make that choice. I can say that I did not buy preference points this year, and that any trips I do take will be somewhere else.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Look, the gun industry has the upper hand but to my knowledge has not played their cards. You want change? Send an email to the various gun and ammunition manufacturers in the US and tell them that you will not buy any more guns or ammunition until they take a major stand, then you will see if its about the 2nd amendment or $$$$. These mfgs could easily get laws changed by charging exorbitant fees to these states for handguns, rifles and ammunition. $10k for a glock or sig and 5K for a 50rd box of ammo and see what happens. No $$$ no sale. Pretty simple. I'm talking about the guns for "state employees with badges". Need your service weapon repaired = $1 mil. It's not the outfitters in Colorado. Poll the deep pockets you give your money to.

Posts: 13 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a cool post Wendell...thanks for putting the poll up, nice & simple

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Nothing against the hunting industry in general. But I don't travel to anywhere that infringes on my 2nd amendment rights. So I'll be boycotting everything. If the progun folks get it fixed, then I would think about hunting there or doing business with companies that are located there.

So have you ever been to New York, New Jersey, Chicago or Canada?
Or did you boycott them as well when they developed their stringent gun laws?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

Nope, nope, nope, and nope! At least not in the last 30 years. Have no reason or desire. And no, I typically do not go anywhere that does not have reciprocity with Texas in regard to concealed carry.
Hell I've not even been on a plane since they started with the TSA. Screw em. They can fondle someone else's pkg. I'll drive.
Shcitt, I'm almost sixty two years old, raised three kids, and have never ate at McDonalds.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
A year or so ago New Mexico's legislature suddenly changed their law in regards to reciprocity.

I didn't know this. Lat time I was there Smith, Wesson and Mr Glock went with me.

It's a bloo state, so I guess I am not too surprised about this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is Colorado does not fit that mold. It is still a great hunting and fishing state. If you boycott the state guess which people you will hurt? Most of the state is still rural and pro gun. The problem is that the front range where the majority of the people live is now made up of more transplants than locals. As such you get people like that idiot woman representative or senator whose name I cant remember. she is vehemently anti gun but does not even understand the basic mechanics of how they operate. You know who I mean,,, the one who thinks magazines are disposable. Anyway you see my point. The others in her class could care less about a boycott and it only hurts your fellow sportsmen. Now as to boycotting other places? Yes and no. What if they are owned and operated by pro gun pro hunting/fishing folks? People who normally would donate a serious chunk of money to our cause? But now since they are boycotted? I have no problem boycotting a known anti 2nd amendment place. You have to be careful and not paint with too broad a brush else everyone gets covered.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
A year or so ago New Mexico's legislature suddenly changed their law in regards to reciprocity.

I didn't know this. Lat time I was there Smith, Wesson and Mr Glock went with me.

Wendell, I need to make a correction. After about one week the legislature made a complete about face and scuttled the changes. New Mexico's reciprocity is now what it was. No problem going there. They also have open carry IIRC. I went, got a nice bear, carried openly the whole time and had a ball. Plan to go again soon.

Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is Colorado does not fit that mold. It is still a great hunting and fishing state. If you boycott the state guess which people you will hurt? Most of the state is still rural and pro gun. The problem is that the front range where the majority of the people live is now made up of more transplants than locals. As such you get people like that idiot woman representative or senator whose name I cant remember. she is vehemently anti gun but does not even understand the basic mechanics of how they operate. You know who I mean,,, the one who thinks magazines are disposable. Anyway you see my point. The others in her class could care less about a boycott and it only hurts your fellow sportsmen. Now as to boycotting other places? Yes and no. What if they are owned and operated by pro gun pro hunting/fishing folks? People who normally would donate a serious chunk of money to our cause? But now since they are boycotted? I have no problem boycotting a known anti 2nd amendment place. You have to be careful and not paint with too broad a brush else everyone gets covered.

Really good, accurate assessment of the situation.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Why hurt our friends and supporters? Also, wasn't there some arguements several months back over not boycotting Zimbabwe over land seizures becaue that would hurt conservation and the outfitters? How is that any different?

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy, I am glad to see you haven't changed. You won't do anything to incovenience yourself.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm from Colorado and I voted yes to both. I understand it will hurt the more rural people, but it is exactly the rural people that will be able to overturn this sort of garbage. The urban IDIOTS are pretty much a lost cause in CO since so many of the are transplants from shitholes like CA, NY, MA, NJ etc...

The only way to get this sort of foolish laws overturned is to hit the state in the pocketbook and force them onto a statewide vote. And that will take the 7/10ths of the state that are not in the Denver Metro Area along the front range.

I feel so strongly about this that I won't even hunt my own state!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
It's interesting so many of you would boycott the state by not hunting. It's also interesting that so many people were trying to access the DOW website Monday evening to put in for the limited draw tags that the website was overwhelmed. I guess a few folks out there didn't listen regarding the boycott.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of Colorado was 5,187,582 on July 1, 2012, an increase of 3.1% since the 2010 United States Census.[1] Colorado's most populous city, and capital, is Denver. The Denver-Aurora-Boulder Combined Statistical Area with an estimated 2011 population of 3,157,520, has 61.90% of the state's residents.

Yes Sir, PL, using the above information I can see the less than 40% of the remainder of the states population changing things at the ballot box! How long ago did you move away from Colorado?

DOJ, as far as I can tell and remember concerning my life and how I choose to live it or where I choose to spend my money, it is MY prerogative and your opinion does not matter.

You live life however you choose to and allow others that same option. From the results so far of the poll, it appears that I am not the only person that is not going to boycott Colorado.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy, I know my opinion doesn't matter to you and it not mattering to you doesn't matter to me. Observing ones opinion does help one to understand the opinion being offered by one.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We stand together or FALL apart.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We stand together or FALL apart.

Boy ain't that the truth, that is why people want to abandon fellow hunters/gun owners in Colorado over something they could not prevent.

Yep, that is really standing together and it is just the attitude that is going to help build momentum for the anti gun forces.

They have learned from California and now Colorado, that if their efforts are concentrated on a state by state basis instead of nationally, they have a lot better success because not only are gun owners in the individual states are not that organized, but they have seen first hand that gun owners in other states simply abandon gun owners in the state facing the legislation changes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, good poll. I voted no and yes. The 61% that PL mentioned is more likely to visit the ski resorts and such, so let them pay for them without my money.

DOJ, just what do either of your posts have to do with the subject?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wendell, I need to make a correction. After about one week the legislature made a complete about face and scuttled the changes. New Mexico's reciprocity is now what it was. No problem going there. They also have open carry IIRC. I went, got a nice bear, carried openly the whole time and had a ball. Plan to go again soon.

Best

GWB

This is correct. NM and TX have reciprocity and you can open carry in NM in most places. Don't open carry in a place that sells alcohol though, as that's a no-no. CC in places that sell package alcohol or places that sell only beer and wine for consumption is okay. No CC in places that sell hard liquor for consumption.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Really good, accurate assessment of the situation.

***Yep, an excellent post!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Best

GWB

This is correct. NM and TX have reciprocity and you can open carry in NM in most places. Don't open carry in a place that sells alcohol though, as that's a no-no. CC in places that sell package alcohol or places that sell only beer and wine for consumption is okay. No CC in places that sell hard liquor for consumption.

Nice thing about having a guide, not only in the woods.

We'd been out since around 5 that morning. It was early September and though at 7,000 ft elevation the sun was out and it was hot. We had to go in off the road about a half mile as the crow flies and probably over a mile walking up three inclines and back down in to the hollers before we got to where the bear was treed, took about 45 minutes. Got some photos, shot my bear. Skinned him out and packed him up. Carring at least 50 lbs of hide and head it took a little longer going back. So about three hours coming and going. It was in the 80's and we ran out of water. Don't take long to get sun-burned and dehydrated. We're 15 to 20 miles out in the Lincoln National Forest and no store around till you get to Capitan. The moment we got to the store/gas station I was going to make a bee line for the cooler. Get a 20 pack for my two guides and something for myself. Luckily my guides had the foresight to inform me that open carry where beer and liquor were sold could cause me a heap of trouble.
Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you support the hunting industry, you're also supporting the diners, motels, gas stations, and such. Hit 'em in the pocket book and listen to them squeal.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
If you support the hunting industry, you're also supporting the diners, motels, gas stations, and such. Hit 'em in the pocket book and listen to them squeal.

In Tennessee y'all are used to hitting em in the moon and listening to em squeal aren't ya? Big Grin

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I handed Colorado over a thousand dollars Tuesday

I'd say I am a supporter

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:

In Tennessee y'all are used to hitting em in the moon and listening to em squeal aren't ya? Big Grin

Beeman sig line says "aim for the exit hole" funny after reading this

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Youse guys are Rotten popcorn

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
quote:

Lmfao! I didn't even notice that but it doesn't surprise me

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I happily applied for DM67O2R last week + an elk Pref Pt.

Should be hunting the mighty mule deer in a trophy unit this October.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
quote:

Lmfao! I didn't even notice that but it doesn't surprise me

Damn, that's funny!! Don't care who you R!! animal

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
As such you get people like that idiot woman representative or senator whose name I cant remember. she is vehemently anti gun but does not even understand the basic mechanics of how they operate. You know who I mean,,, the one who thinks magazines are disposable. Anyway you see my point.
She's a HOPLOPHOBE.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
As a Colorado resident I voted yes to both. First punish the liberal law makers, second the hunting and skiing areas will be less crowded, win win ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good bye CO. There is nothing in Colorado that can't be hunted in a RED State.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

Actually, I do not go to any of those places and further will not even change airplanes in those states or even drive through on the interstate. In the case of Illinois, I took the ferry from Grand Rapids or drove through the UP in Michigan to get to Wisconsin rather than drive through Illinois. NY and NJ have not been there in over 20 years and won't ever go again.
I have never had a reason to go to Canada.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in Ohio now but my DD214 resides in the boulder county courthouse. My family has been in Colorado for many many years. I remember when there was nothing between castle rock and the springs. The front range which makes up the majority of the voters by population is almost all transplants these days. So to penalize the rest of the state and the entire industry is a prime example of what we used to call cutting off ones nose to spite their face. The tax money and revenue that the state may get may be distasteful but is it worse than impoverishing those who support your cause? These are folks of like mind and direction. All you are effectively doing is weakening them and causing the little guys to go under. I guarantee the state can and will absorb your piddly (to them ) loss of revenue and continue blithely on. The only ones who will get hurt are the folks out in the field where the real battles are won and lost.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote