New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freehand accuracey
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, the maximum load I have shot is 105 grains with a Hornady 500 grain. I normal shooting load is 95 grains behind a cast 500 grain bullet. I have used this same load behind some cast 535 grain also. All these loads are accurate in my rifle. I suppose if you are after POWER you could use IMR 4064 or even maybe IMR 3031.

Casey

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I went to USMC boot camp in 1962 I consistently shot possibles off hand but struggled at some of the other positions because I had never shot any other position, growing up in rural Kentucky shooting squirrels and rabbits with a .22 bolt action.
Finally figured out how to shoot the other positions and expert was easy even with misses.Still shoot decently but will grab a fence post or tree when I can it just makes sense.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Casey,
Did you use a filler?I'll probibly be using the Hornady 500 grain RNSP.

------------------

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, no I do not use a filler with those loads. The 105 grain load is compressed and the other is very near to touching. That is the reason I chose the slower burning powders i.e. they fill the case.

Casey

one of us
posted Hide Post
Casey,
Thank you very,very much!I'll throw together some loads either this weekend or next week for mine,with Hornady 350 grain RNs and 500 grain RNSPs.

Do you hunt with your 45/120?Mine is a pure hunting rifle-Falling Block Works action,26 inch heavy barrel,XXX black walnut stock,and a 2 3/4x Redfield scope.Weights right at 8 1/2 pounds.Haven't shot it yet,but I'm betting one of those 4831 loads with 500s should kick as hard or harder than my 8 3/4 pound 458 Winchester Magnum.

BTW-Any idea of what velocitys you're getting?

------------------

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote