THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Can a U.S. citizen sell a gun to someone in Canada?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a U.S. citizen sell a gun to someone in Canada?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Someone is interested in a rifle I have but I have no experience with this type of sale. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, at least from the Canadian side. I don't know what is required to go south. Basically, you just ship it to the person who wants to buy it (assuming this is a person to person deal, and not through a dealer)and it will be held at Canadian Customs for the person to pick up and pay the tax/duty on the item. The CCRA (Customs) people may or may not require the person picking it up to register the firearm and get a transfer authorisation from the Federal Firearms people (you can do that by phone with the gun info). A lot depends on the type of gun and the particular customs person you have to deal with. Handguns and certain assault type rifles are restricted, some are banned (say thank you to a liberal government) by name (literally). The law states that the person picking it up should register etc, but it really depends on the CCRA people in practice. Hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Methinks you might need an export permit.

Your best and safest bet is to check with the 'fine and friendly folks' at the nearest ATF office (check the blue pages of your phone book, under Treasury) before you find yourself in violation of the Arms Export Control Act or somesuch.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would indeed need an export permit from the State Department.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<jeremy w>
posted
Would it be easy to have a guy in Canada ship me a barrel, just a barrel. Would this need paperwork or any such garbage?

posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta: "Can a US citizen sell a gun to someone in Canada?" Do you mean
A. Sell a gun to someone while you are in Canada? Yes, if the buyer has a FAC or a PAL.
B Mail a gun from the USA to someone in Canada? Maybe. It depends on the whims and fancies of the Canadian and American governments. Many American gun dealers will no longer mail to Canada. They cite too much red tape. Recently the BATF has tangled export matters up even worse. Go to WWW.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca and see if you can figure it out. Look at "Information for Specialized Audiences."

Posts: 18 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone. It sounds feasible but too difficult to make it worth anyone's troubles. Thanks again.

It's unfortunate as the guy lived in Churchill and I had a rifle that was suitable for daily carry around polar bears.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
If it's clear on the US side, no problem. To take possesion of a gun in Canada, you need only an FAC/PAL. When the gun gets to Canada customs, the recipient needs to show his licence to a custioms officer, or have the RCMP validate it, and fax customs.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeremy: A barrel can be shipped with no special paperwork.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything is possible in a free society!
I find it interesting that even with a supposedly friendly administration in Washington, restrictions relating to guns, accessories, ammunition and components etc., are continuing to tighten up. It would be difficult to convince me that the US and Canadian governments are not working in concert. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote