New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Am Posting This Here As A WARNING!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I also encourage all International travelers to be hyper vigilant in following all the airline and rules of the country you are going to visit. "It will probably be ok" is a disaster waiting to happen.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember this from 2013:

http://articles.timesofindia.i...naik-airport-bullets

US techie caught at Bhubaneswar airport with 8 bullets
Debabrata Mohapatra, TNN Sep 19, 2013, 03.14AM IST
Tags:US National|Houston|AmsterdamBHUBANESWAR:

A US national allegedly travelled 15,722 km from Houston to Bhubaneswar via Amsterdam and New Delhi with live ammunition before being caught at the Biju Patnaik airport on Wednesday. Eight .22mm bullets were found in his bag.

Police identified the man as William Michael Hurtubise (27), a service engineer. He was arrested for possessing the bullets without license.

William was about to board a chopper for Paradip when he was caught during security checking at the airport. The chopper was sent by a Paradip-based shipping company where William was supposed to carry out some mechanical inspection.

"We arrested him under the Arms act. The American embassy has been informed," DCP Nitinjeet Singh said. Police said William possessed a valid passport.

Quoting William, police said he boarded an Amsterdam-bound flight from Houston on Sunday. He reached Delhi from the Holland capital on Tuesday, after which he caught a connecting flight to Bhubaneswar.

William told police that he possessed a licensed revolver at America. "The bullets were lying in my bag. I forgot to leave it back home," William said. He admitted that the security personnel at Houston and Delhi airports could not detect the bullets during checking. "After reaching Bhubaneswar on Tuesday, I checked into a hotel and left for Bhubaneswar airport to catch the chopper for Paradip on Wednesday morning," he said.

Police found William's statements difficult to believe. Security has been tightened across all airports in the US after the killing of four people at a naval base in Washington on Monday. How he hoodwinked cops at Houston, Amsterdam and New Delhi remains a mystery.

"We are verifying the exact date of his departure from America and whether he actually carried the bullets from there. We suspect he could have procured the bullets after reaching Bhubaneswar," Singh said.

The hotel where William checked in on Tuesday, said his luggage was properly frisked, but no objectionable articles were found. "He might have got the bullets after checking out from our hotel on Monday morning," said a hotel staffer.

If you go on travel overseas, make sure you don't have any "bullets" or "firearms parts" in your luggage.

I just conducted a web search, looks that William Michael Hurtubise spent 33 days in jail before getting bail because he had eight 22lr rounds in his luggage. And then, he had to stay in country till the mess was figured out.

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/166415258/

I am sure the Lawyer's fees took all his savings, and probably put him in debt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...rks-caicos-jail.html

Oklahoma Airport in hot water for failing to find bullets.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9370 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biden will get them home.

Posts: 2657 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it'll be in a long rectangular shaped box, but sure.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trinidad and Tobago are the same, son brought me a couple of newspapers. Possession of a couple of shot gun shells will get you serious jail time.

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
These kind of extreme actions on the part of other governments over accidental violations that come from honest (vs intentional & nefarious) actions by tourists make me wonder why anyone who hunts or shoots would support the tourism industry of such countries. I know I won’t.

There is no way in hell I’d ever knowingly go anywhere that a simple, honest mistake could land me in jail for a day, let alone 12 years in prison. As nice as Turks & Caicos is, there are plenty of other destinations we can spend our discretionary spending on where governments don’t have extreme laws.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Strangers can sometimes be kind to innocents, but never foreign governments to Americans.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
These kind of extreme actions on the part of other governments over accidental violations that come from honest (vs intentional & nefarious) actions by tourists make me wonder why anyone who hunts or shoots would support the tourism industry of such countries. I know I won’t.

There is no way in hell I’d ever knowingly go anywhere that a simple, honest mistake could land me in jail for a day, let alone 12 years in prison. As nice as Turks & Caicos is, there are plenty of other destinations we can spend our discretionary spending on where governments don’t have extreme laws.

Dude. You live in California. Just wondering out loud here what I might expect if ammunition was found in my carry on going through customs at LAX?

Posts: 2657 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
Exactly
Countries like this should be immediately on the list not to go to by US

Posts: 141 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:

Dude. You live in California. Just wondering out loud here what I might expect if ammunition was found in my carry on going through customs at LAX?

You would not be facing 12 years in jail!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't travel to shithole countries, especially by air, and you'll be fine. No sympathy. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote