THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    That's a Hog, looks like an illegal canned hunt

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's a Hog, looks like an illegal canned hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
“Monster Pig†Hunt May have Violated Alabama Fair Chase Laws

May 30, 2007

The Humane Society of the United States today called on the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to investigate the highly publicized killing of a "monster pig." Earlier this month, an 11-year-old boy killed the pig after the animal was trapped and released in a fenced enclosure at the Lost Creek Plantation in Delta, Ala.

According to the Alabama Game and Fish Laws, it is unlawful to hunt or kill or offer the opportunity to hunt or kill for a fee under conditions in which the animal hunted does not have a reasonable opportunity to evade the hunter. The regulation includes animals released from confinement for less than 10 days. According to the website of Southeastern Trophy Hunter, the organizers of the hunt, the "monster pig" was trapped by the owner of the Lost Creek Plantation sometime around April 28 and was offered as a "no-kill, no-bill" guarantee for anyone willing to pay $1500 for the kill. The "monster pig" was killed on May 3 while confined in a fenced enclosure.

"The killing of a trapped pig in a pen – 'monster' or otherwise – is like shooting fish in a barrel," said Michael Markarian, HSUS executive vice president. "It violates the hunters' fair chase ethic and may also violate Alabama state law. The Alabama legislature rightly banned inhumane and unsporting 'canned hunts' last year, and we urge the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to fully investigate this 'monster pig' matter."

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HUH!! looks like im the only gullible one on this site because i believed that the young kid might have actually killed it on kis own and i thought,"Good For Him" contrary to what everyone else thought about it being fake, well it looks like i learned a valuble lesson today, that being, Dont believe everything you see. Mad shame on me.

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
If this latest news of the 'monster' pig is true (and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it is), then the kid has (or his father, more accurately) done the hunting community a great disservice; the antis are going to have a ball with this one. Mad

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
The antis are already having a ball with this. The whole thing's a farce.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
The Humane Society of the United States is one of the cheif anti hunting organizations. HSUS has nothing to do with your local humane society that takes care of lost and stray pets. HSUS is strictly a bunch of animal rights loonies.

This does not mean that they are necessarily wrong about the nature of the monster pig hunt but that they are not necessarily a good source of impartial information. I am sure that more authoratative info on the pig hunt will be comming out.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
More info from Associated Press:

quote:
Ala. officials say `Monster Pig' hunt was legal
5/31/2007, 12:45 p.m. CDT
By JAY REEVES
The Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A state investigation concluded Thursday that no wildlife laws were broken in the hunt that bagged "Monster Pig," the massive porker shot by an 11-year-old boy last month.

Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said in an interview that an investigation found no legal problems with the hunt, which gained international publicity because of the size of the huge hog and the age of the hunter.

"A lot of people might have issues with the thing, but there were no laws broken," Andress said.

Andress said agents talked with people involved in the hunt, including Mike Stone, whose son Jamison Stone killed the hog.

Animal advocates and hunting opponents have criticized the killing of the hog, which was chased and killed inside a 150-acre enclosure located at a paid hunting plantation in east Alabama.

Others, meanwhile, have claimed that photos of the pig were faked or exaggerated, a charge denied by the young hunter, his father, a guide who witnessed the hunt, the owner of the hunting plantation and the taxidermist who is mounting the animal's head.

Andress said that agents looked only into whether the hunt broke laws against transporting live feral swine or killing animals in a "canned hunt." Investigators determined neither law was violated, he said.

"It was a big thing, but as far as violating any fish and wildlife laws, it didn't," he said.

Jamison Stone, of Pickensville, was hunting with his father and two guides when he killed the giant pig with a big-game pistol on May 3. He said he shot the hog repeatedly and chased it for three hours through hilly woods at Lost Creek Plantation.

Mike Stone said the hog measured more than 9 feet in length from snout to the base of its tail, and it weighed in at more than 1,050 pounds. The head of the hog is being mounted by the taxidermist. Stone said the insides were being made into sausage.

Stone put photos of his son with the dead pig on a Web site, which he said has since received both congratulatory messages and death threats directed at Jamison, an honor student at a small Christian academy.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Mort, don't know how closely you've been following this, but there's a lot to be critical about irrespective of the humane society's position. I agree that the humane society is not necessarily the most unbiased source (that's putting it mildly!).

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if anybody believes HSUS or PETA or the like I have a bridge for sale that you can buy cheap

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the newspaper this morning: The hog's name was Fred...he was pen raised, and the folks got out of the hog business, selling off their hogs, including Fred. Fred gets shot a short time later to the astonishment of Fred's former owners. End of story.

That's the kind of crap that will eventually do us all in.....

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
For those of you that haven't seen the latest, click on this link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18989526/?GT1=10056

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose hunting will get a black eye over this, but who give's a shit! The boy shot it, with a handgun, he got 15 mintutes of fame, and should get some respect from the hunting community. Otherwise the hog would have been ran down a loading shoot, onto the packing house floor, whacked between the eyes, his throat slit, left to die on a bloody floor, then hung, scalded, and butcherd. If the pig could choose I bet he would choose the boy and gun!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, Kudu56, let me get this straight: a youngster with a handgun obviously much larger than he is comfortable with shoots a living animal to doll rags, and he "should get some respect from the hunting community"? The animal was behind a fence, was obviously pen raised, and it died a horribly inhumane death, by printed account. Eleven shots? THAT deserves RESPECT?

I think not. I think his dad ought to have his hunting rights suspended... But that is just me. I have nothing against an enclosed "hunt" if that is what you want to call it, and I agree that animals have no rights. But they still should be dispatched cleanly, not shot to swiss cheese.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
150 acres isn't exactly a pen. Unless it is deviod of any cover. And so what if it took 11 shots that pig might have been dead on the first one or two and it being so large didn't drop dead like some think.

Have you ever been to hog sluaghtering plant? Not very damn humane. If you see a live hog hamstrung through the hocks, hoisted up, swung to a boiling vat and dipped in boiling water while still alive you will think the 11 shots isn't so bad. I would still prefer to get my meat the way the kid did, than from the meat isle in the store. The mistake the kid and his dad made was going public with the whole thing. I still think an 11 year old that can shoot and hunts is ok with me, so long as some form of respect for animals, people, and the outdoors in general exist. I have seen many young people who can shot the eyes out of a bird but have no respect and learn to kill for the sake of killing.

They never broke a law why should thier hunting rights, wait hunting is a privelege not a right, suspended.

When I was a kid that is how we did it, took a .22 walked out into the pen, about 20' square, one hog ran in, as soon as he stopped me, or my dad, or my brother shot it. We never called it a hunt but that is how we did it, did buthcher calves the same way. Some times took two shots.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank H.:
In the newspaper this morning: The hog's name was Fred...he was pen raised, and the folks got out of the hog business, selling off their hogs, including Fred. ...
No doubt I was "duped" in the first story. No telling how many additional versions will come forth before this goes quiet.

I'm in Kentucky at the moment and the local TV station had a short bit on the Hog at noon. To add one additional layer of "Hog Prizes" on top of this mess, Louisville's WHAS-TV reported the original Owners(Mom and Pop) called the hog "Frank" and raised it as a PET! Then sold to the Game Farm(?) where it was renamed Fred. I don't know if there is even an iota of truth to any of the story I heard today.

But if it was true, then Frank/Fred would probably have walked right up to them until the Blasting began. A good old 22LR puts down all the Farm raised critters I've ever seen including Hogs, cattle and horses and very cleanly when they are at arms length.

I agree his Dad really let an otherwise good opportunity for the boy to make a fine Trophy kill become tainted by going after a "Pet" - if that story is true. Plenty of real Trophy Hog Hunts available in the Smokies and most of the Southeast - pitiful.

Now I'm skeptical about the entire fiasco. Mad

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Otherwise the hog would have been ran down a loading shoot (sic), onto the packing house floor, whacked between the eyes, his throat slit, left to die on a bloody floor, then hung, scalded, and butcherd (sic). If the pig could choose I bet he would choose the boy and gun!

If I was that hog, I don't think I'd want to be running around gutshot for 3 hours. Commercial hog packing ain't pretty, but it is humane.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In most states hogs are not considered a game animal and normal game laws do not apply. In my home state the game and fish commission is quick to state that they have nothing to do with hogs. So , I think everyone is in agreement no laws were broken. Now, maybe we should not call this hunting, but I do not have a problem with this, for those that enjoy the experience. It is unfortunate that young lad had to shoot the animal that many time and the kill did not occur as cleanly and quickly as we would like. Many of us that started shooting at a young age did not shoot as accurately as would be desirable and probably the choice of weapon could have been better for such young hands. In my mind it is a worst mistake to badmouth this young lad for his mistakes or lack of shooting experience with this very big pistol.

Posts: 36 | Location: Little Rock, Ar | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[ . . . ]

Many of us that started shooting at a young age did not shoot as accurately as would be desirable

True . . .

quote:
and probably the choice of weapon could have been better for such young hands.

True . . .

quote:
In my mind it is a worst mistake to badmouth this young lad for his mistakes or lack of shooting experience with this very big pistol.

I'm much less critical of this young lad's shortcomings than I am with those of the adults who set this whole event up -- who armed the kid with a gun that he evidently could not effectively use, a gun that was suboptimal in any event to the task that was required, and then contacted the press to crow about "his" accomplishment.

I wonder what was going through the adult's mind?

I'm afraid I don't see much positive in this exercise, which seems to me to have been much more one of the thrill of killing than the satisfaction of having hunted.

"I do not hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted." (Jose Ortega y Gassett).

Posts: 40 | Location: Miami, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu you aint got a clue about a slaughterhouse. They shackle the hog up by his back leg via chain...hoist him up...blood rushes to his head and he either passes out or gets very very heavy headed. You then stick him right where you tie your tie and in one downward motion slit the carotid and the jugular while he is upside down. After he is dead, THEN the hog is scalded, gutted and worked up from there. There are laws regarding how the process is to be carried out...naturally in the most humane manner possible, and for the most part it is. Like Onefunzr2 said...it sure beats running around gutshot for three hours.

Basically the same process for cattle except they are stunned with a captive bolt while in a squeeze chute first.

While finishing up my degree, I had a few more elective hours left so I took a meat cutting course so I could learn how to properly cut up my deer and elk, make sausage, etc....it was fun, but a harder course than I imagined. Roughest part was slaughtering the lambs.....you basically have to break their necks by hand....The animal rights folks would scream if they knew that...but they do like to eat their lamb chops don't they?

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hank,
In my butchering classes at Penn State, both hogs and sheep were electrocuted by a device best described as looking like old fashioned ice tongs.

However, hog operations such as Hatfield are set up to handle butcher weight animals of 250#. "Monster pig" would jamb up their assembly line in short order.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kudu you aint got a clue about a slaughterhouse. They shackle the hog up by his back leg via chain...hoist him up...blood rushes to his head and he either passes out or gets very very heavy headed. You then stick him right where you tie your tie and in one downward motion slit the carotid and the jugular while he is upside down. After he is dead, THEN the hog is scalded, gutted and worked up from there. There are laws regarding how the process is to be carried out...naturally in the most humane manner possible, and for the most part it is. Like Onefunzr2 said...it sure beats running around gutshot for three hours.

Basically the same process for cattle except they are stunned with a captive bolt while in a squeeze chute first.

While finishing up my degree, I had a few more elective hours left so I took a meat cutting course so I could learn how to properly cut up my deer and elk, make sausage, etc....it was fun, but a harder course than I imagined. Roughest part was slaughtering the lambs.....you basically have to break their necks by hand....The animal rights folks would scream if they knew that...but they do like to eat their lamb chops don't they?

I worked for a slaughterhouse while myself and my wife were attending college, I took the same damn class you did. (Majoring in agriculture) I know that "most of the time" , but not all the time they are dead when they are dipped. I have seen live hogs screaming and wiggling, while hanging and headed to the dip. THen dipped while still alive. Not arguing the point of proper etiquette for a sluaghter house, just that the death by a gun in a 150 acre field is more conducive to my choice, versus the slaughter house!

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
The problem is that shortly after the kill, the guide and hunter were saying "This beats Hogzilla!" and calling the media.

If someone wants to gut shoot a hog in a fenced in area, ok. But calling the media is a great way to give a lot of ammunition to the anti gunners and hunters.

We need to start thinking about things like that, or some day the State will try to make us all vegitarians by fiat.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEJack: you hit the nail on the head for all of us.
I live down by "Hogzilla's" folks, and know Ken H. the guy that set up the hunt. He could have taught PT Barunm a thing or two about promoting.
Onefunzr2: I would have paid money to see them trying to stuff ol Fred down that assembly line!

Kudu, I can't say I ever saw a hog alive as it was about to be scalded...we were required to wait till they were dead before dipping, but can't argue with you about the 150 acre field....just hate the gut shot porker running around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B1878:
In most states hogs are not considered a game animal and normal game laws do not apply. In my home state the game and fish commission is quick to state that they have nothing to do with hogs. So , I think everyone is in agreement no laws were broken. Now, maybe we should not call this hunting, but I do not have a problem with this, for those that enjoy the experience. It is unfortunate that young lad had to shoot the animal that many time and the kill did not occur as cleanly and quickly as we would like. Many of us that started shooting at a young age did not shoot as accurately as would be desirable and probably the choice of weapon could have been better for such young hands. In my mind it is a worst mistake to badmouth this young lad for his mistakes or lack of shooting experience with this very big pistol.

I've done several L O N G careful readings of the Alabama game laws and spent several hours on the phone with Alabama F&G and I suspect that THE reason that there were no legal problems with the hunt are simple.

In Alabama HUNTING hogs requires a small game license, but the instant the pig is dead it ceases to be a game animal.
That is the first loophole in any "canned hunt" law, the simple fact that is soon as the pig is dead the point of it being hunted is moot.

Second is that a pig in any kind of enclosure is considered a domestic animal and NO game laws apply.

Hunting pigs is hunting, killing pigs isn't
Enclosed pigs by definition cannot be "hunted"
because they are not game and thus not subject to game laws.

So whichever way the state F&G look at it the point is moot.

That being said alabama is a great place to hunt hogs.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
About those photos...

http://66.226.75.96/pig/

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
The boy and his father...

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those two need to go see Jenny Craig.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
Those two need to go see Jenny Craig.

They match the pig.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say.... "which one is the pig?"

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn! Eeker I see drool on his lip looking at the bacon!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
The antis are already having a ball with this. The whole thing's a farce.

south africa in the united states of america.

shame !!!!

Posts: 25 | Location: nevada | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote