New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have to brag a little.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 13 year old son and I played hooky yesterday and went turkey hunting. I managed to call in a big tom and he rolled it with one shot from his 20 ga. It was his first "big game" and he was on cloud 9. I couldn't have been happier with a B&C buck.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeff, let's see, a year or two before junior get's the one eyed jack gun
Sounds as if you both had a great time and a proud dad.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have the tail and beard made up into one of those fan displays with a brass plate with his name and the date on it. I did that with my son's first deer (a 2x2) and his first bass of any size (2lbs)

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By hooky, I'm assuming the kid cut school. School can't teach him what he'll learn on a hunt. I'm taking my grandson out of his Colorado school for a week and bringing him here to North Dakota for a Whitetail hunt. It's his first hunt. I'm going to Colorado for the third season elk and deer. I gave him a choice; deer and elk in Colorado, or Whitetail here in North Dakota. He picked Grandpa and North Dakota, everything depending on good grades so I can justify a week away from school. The kid brought his grades up to an A average.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the deal with my son. As long as his grades stay good gets the opportunity to hunt. Same for sports or any other extracurricular activities. He did a great job of keeping his cool and making a godd shot. He was taking pictures to school today to show all his buddies.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ski,

Congrats! But tell us who is prouder, Son or Dad??

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you could pull it off. It's so politically incorrect that if a kid missed school here and they found out it was for hunting, he'd be in big trouble, maybe expelled. Sad state of affairs!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, we had a three day weekend in October that was actually referred to as "Hunting Holiday." Of course, these days they have to call it "Fall Break." I'm not even 30 yet, and already I'm saying "those were the good old days!"

Posts: 28 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
In Michigan, deer hunting starts on Nov 15th. When I was young, it was known that most of the boys were going to miss school for several days at that time. No big deal. How things have changed!

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil to the skillful hunter and his Dad! What a great experience to share with your boy. My son is just 15 months old, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll grow up to appreciate the joys of outdoor life in general and hunting in particular. What a thrill that would be!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote