Find
Notify
Tools

$1,000 cow elk hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
A friend of mine is going to book a cow elk hunt and the quote he received was $1,000 plus tag. Is that a good number for such a hunt?

The outfitter says that he has had 100% success rate for cows in the last 10 years and that's what my friend wants because he's never taken a single head of big game.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is all in the eye of the beholder. Some guys would pay a lot of money for an hour with that woman under your byline. Not me.

My advice to your friend is to get references. Unlike the blue topped babe in your photo, the guy should be able to provide some. If not, i would walk away.

Ask the references what kind of a hunt they had. On private land you can road hunt and kill a cow elk pretty much in one day.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
A friend of mine is going to book a cow elk hunt and the quote he received was $1,000 plus tag. Is that a good number for such a hunt?

The outfitter says that he has had 100% success rate for cows in the last 10 years and that's what my friend wants because he's never taken a single head of big game.

That is not out of line.Especially guided.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's not in Oregon by any chance? Think thats what Ross Seyfried charged for a kid hunt a couple years ago. For a $1000 to hunt with him on his ranch and kill a cow elk.....priceless at least for me. Yes, I'm a Ross fan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of an elk ranch here in Idaho where you can kill a large cow elk for $995 and you do not have to buy a license. Elk ranch elk are considered "agricultural animals" so you don't need a game license.

For that price, they also carry it back to a barn where they skin it, and prepare it for you to take to the meat processor. You get the hide, too, if you want it.

www.pinemeadowselkhunt.com

FWIW. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Most elk cows in South Texas go for around $450 to $600 guided but no accomodations.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of friends who might be interested in that in Texas, got any recommendations?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is about the going rate here in Wy for a guided cow hunt,

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote