New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronghorn Hunt advice needed.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all. I have a best friend that would like to hunt pronghorn antelope. His health is not doing good and this will be a once in a lifetime hunt for him.The pronghorn does not have to be big just average.
My father died in 1981 at the age of 39. This man has taken me under his wing and finished raising me. He is also the Pastor of our church.
I would like to pay for a hunt for him. I'm not rich in money terms so the hunt needs to be low cost.
Can anybody here advise me on where to hunt like public land or a ranch and maybe a member here be able to giude us if you think we need it. I have heard of ranches allowing hunting if you pay a trespass fee. Would the hunting be better on a private ranch?
If someone here will help us and maybe guide us a little bit until we get a idea on how to hunt them I will return the favor in taxidermy work for you.
It breaks my heart to think about my friend and how much he wants to make a hunt like this and I want him to be able to make this hunt happen for him.
He does not know that I'm trying to put together a hunt for him.

Thank you very much for your help
Steve

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildlife Artist:
Hello all. I have a best friend that would like to hunt pronghorn antelope.

Eastern Montana or western Wyoming would be my choices for low-cost public-land hunts.
The only hitch is the probability of getting tags.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
DIY hunt in WY. That is what I do. Very easy to get a buck if you do your homework.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
If he decides to go guided I have a reasonably priced, no draw hunt in eastern Montana. Have another good outfit in Wyoming but you have to draw.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
The draw in the Gillette area is 100%, area 3 where I live is 100% but hard hunting very little public land, Gillette is the same but there are a LOT of goats over there and a little more Public land

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were a ton of posts about DIY antelope hunts a few months back. Here's one. Plenty more info.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=382101537#382101537

I had a total of $910 in my hunt, including airfare,truck rental, license and tags, meals, motel a couple nights.EVERYTHING.
And could have knocked a few more bucks off the cost.

If I can be of any help, let me know. Will most likely take 2 years to draw a tag where I did. Apply '08, hunt '09.

If you need to do it next spring, I'm sure it's doable somewhere, esp with a little help from our fine forum members.

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a drawing tag, but private land only Unit 3/301 around Craig, Colorado is excellent antelope hunting. Permission is usually easy to obtain. If you are interested let me know and I can most likely help...

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
If he decides to go guided I have a reasonably priced, no draw hunt in eastern Montana. Have another good outfit in Wyoming but you have to draw.

Even residents have to draw in Montana and there aint no outfitter tags so what are you speaking of?????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ol Biker, Nope, the hunt I have is no draw, it is on Reservation land, THEIR laws, not state laws. Nice to know there are other options out there, isn't there. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
learn something new everyday. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good point.
The Ft Belknap tribes used to offer very reasonable antelope hunts.
Were $250, then maybe 4 or $500.
You do need a tribal "hunting partner".

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote