New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for PA. Black Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All my friends say I am putting to much into this but that is how I am.

Last year I started bear hunting and learned a few things. One is that anyone can see them and get one! They shot 3 by 11 am in the small area I was in. 2 were shot within 100 yards of me.

Another thing I learned is be prepared to take a quick follow up shot as all three bear took a second or third shot. These bear are being pushed from thickets and hauling the mail.

The area I hunt has also produced some big bear in past years.

So I got a Remington 760 in 30-06 for this season. I shoot lefty but all my bolt guns are right handed actions so I figured the 760 would be my best bet if follow up shots are needed.

Shots should never be over 100-125 yards.

My question is will the 158 grain Combined Technologies bullet be enough? My rifle likes them. Would the 180 grain Hornaday Interlock be better? Should I use a premium bullet like a Barnes or Nosler Partition?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I'm from the same area as you, but I used to hunt bear in the central part of the state, most guys use whatever they use for deer. That would be good enough for most bear you see in PA, but if you got a marginal shot at the bear everyone hopes to see, you may hope you had a better bullet. If it were me, I would shoot a 180-grain Partition or Barnes. Don't worry about your gun shooting anywhere near MOA, I don't know too many people in PA that shot a bear over 75 yards!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot 5 black bears. I used to use regular bullets, but nearly lost a very big bear that I shot in the chest as he was facing me. I did recover the bear, but it wasn't until the next day.

I would use a premium bullet, and as Justin says, don't worry accuracy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of you guys are on the same page as me. Why risk the bear of a lifetime if it would show up. Bullets are cheap.

Justin we are close I am in Fredericktowm.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How big are those bears in PA? 180 grain 30-06 bullet under 100 yards will go in and out any black bear I have heard of from any angle and still have enough left to kill a horse in the next section over. For a 30 cal a 150 grain Ballistic Tip will knock him off his feet on a quality hit, and if he's running and your shot placement is less than stellar, it will rip him up and leave lots of stuff to follow. A partition will accomplish this as well, but most of the other premiums are too hard for a soft fat black bear. Fat plugs little holes.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donald, small world, I was just working in Waynesburg the other day, too. Good luck hunting bear this year! I started hunting WV deer, so since the 1st 3 days are the same as PA's bear season, I haven't even been getting a tag lately.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How big can they get here in Pa....bigger than most grizzly bears. Quite a few topped 800lbs and there are a lot of 500-600 pounders walking around. Depending on where you are in the state, with the NE section having the larger ones. On average for most locales, the range is closer to 200 - 400lbs with an odd bear going larger.

Nothing lost if you have your cartridges loaded for bear...big bear. I use 225gr TBBC in my 7600 35 Whelen with an 18" bbl. and open sights. No scope needed where I hunt them but I am thinking about a red dot of some type.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I you don;t reload buy the heavest premium bullet you can find.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Record black bear in PA is 900 lbs !! Typically 200-400.
Various cartridges are used but heavier premium bullets is the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Follow up shots will likely be necessary at rear of rapidly departing bear. I would select a bullet accordingly.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
180gr Core Lokt ROUND NOSED bullet.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree, 180 gr. round nose core lokt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like the round nose idea.
especially in the 760.
don't study this too hard thou
bullet placement overrules the 10-30 grns of bullet weight wondering.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always use a premium bullet on bears! I have seen some shoot and kill them with a .243 cal but I use something bigger, as in .338 win mag and 250 grn bullet. You never know when that bear of a life time comes rolling in to the bait. I also perfer Swift A Frame bullets too.

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say Remington 180 grain round nose Core-Lokt. I have done tests with the .270 Winchester 150 grain round nose Core Lokt and penetration and expansion were great. It expanded as fast as a .30-06 loaded with a 125 grain NBT and penetrated much further. I have read guys on the internet that say both the .270 150 RN core-lokt and the .30-06 180 RN core-lokt peform wonderfully on Moose, so it will work fine on PA Black Bear.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Heavy premium bullet that will expand reliably. Nosler partition would be a good choice.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes all copper bullet will hold together and smash bone. I would think that a shot in the shoulder should break both front shoulders and exit at the ranges you are talking. Use the 168 or 180 grain TSX. If you don't reload they are available from Cor Bon, Black Hills, and others. Break them down

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lean towards the 180 gr Partition myself, but the Hornaday will do fine. I think you are over thinking a little, all you need to be able to do is to be able to hit a grape fruit. That 760 is more than capable of that. Go to the zoo and look at black bears, then look at were all the vitals are located, then make sure your first shot, breaks a shoulder. Have a sharp knife.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, I know I am over thinking this. My deer hunting can include shots to 500 yards plus and are usually about 250. So I am always looking for the best shooting load for the rifle. This close up shooting is new and it is taking me a bit to get used to 1 1/2-2 inch groups being quite fine.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Second the suggestion to break the shoulder.

http://www.inberg.ca/hunting_e...ack_bear_anatomy.htm

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
Second the suggestion to break the shoulder.

http://www.inberg.ca/hunting_e...ack_bear_anatomy.htm

Good link thanks!

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've used the 168 TSX and TTSX on black bears in my 06. I have killed one with a 185 VLD, another with a 180 AB, and 2 more with 225 AB from a 338. Killed a few more with 200 AB from the 06 and 2 with a 180 Scirocco. And the rest were with archery.

They all died very quickly. The only ones that took any steps took an arrow.

I've been with friends on the same hunts in some cases and they killed bears with ballistic tips and all kinds of factory ammo. The most interesting case I ever heard was my buddy Norm who killed a black bear in Canada at 8 yards with his 06 using a 220 Remmy round nose. NO PASS through. Bullet was perfectly mushroomed however. I thought that was remarkable. Round nose bullets are designed to open fast AND penetrate, or so I thought. I've never recovered any 30 cal bullet. Only one I ever recovered was a 225 AB from the 338 at 12 yards on my big male.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donald I will advise you to use the 180 or 200 grain bullet in a Swift A Frame or a TBBC bullet.

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw a nice big one today crossing Rt 6 in Pike Co.He never looked for oncoming traffic ,it was HIS territory ! Big Grin