THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    camo Hunting Bibs,pants..made out of WOOL, need HELP!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

camo Hunting Bibs,pants..made out of WOOL, need HELP!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hey gaizors,
as u may know i�m from germany and i allways take a look what kind of hunting gear is available in the U.S. .
The range in europe is not that big, and in most cases expensive.Another fact is that most of our hunting clothes are made of Loden,Fleece and Microfibre, so the choice by the available garnment is not that much.
Although i think that Loden and fleece is a good garnment i�m know totaly concentrated on Wool [Smile] Camo Hunting Clothes.
The only problem i do have, is to sepperate the merchandist Brands and Wool-Garnments by quality and durability.
I think Sleeping Indian designs and King of the mountain are the leader on the wool-clotthing segment.
And Cabelas do have theire own wool-serie too,which is less expensive than the first two mentioned Brands.
you can take a look at the different products, here :

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0005812&navAction=jump

Now my questionBig Grin
Could somebody tell me something about the Columbia Gallatin Range Wool Series? [Confused]
They are "cheap" ,and payable with a students-budget [Wink] ..but how good are they?
Are they by good quality and will they last long?
I�m interested in the bibs, and in the jacket.
So if you can tell me about good and bads, i�ll apreciate it.

Thx�s a lot for responding and given me your opinion

Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I went through this myself last month, so the best input I can give you is that, yes, the Gallatin series from Columbia is good stuff. I have some of their pants and plan to buy a matching jacket eventually. It's warm material and with proper care will last you a lifetime.

I would suggest you look at the Woolrich line and see if they offer anything that might fit your needs. I bought one of their shirts and a pair of their wool bibs and found the quality of both to be excellent.

Good luck and good hunting.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also check out filson.com Excellent stuff

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey thanks a lot,

@Russel E.Taylor
can i ask u some more questions [Big Grin]

The temperature overhere doesn�t get that cold,..but last week i went out and frooze my but off.
1)
i like to buy me a pair of the bibs and maybe a jacket and a vest that�s fits, too.
I think they offer two different jackets, a monarch pass jacket and a hunting jacket.
Took a look on the columbia webpage, but couldn�t find their wool stuff in the listings.
Is it a new product or do they produce this gear since a couple of years?
I think one difference in the garnment is, that KOM and cabelas use 100% virgin wool and Columbia a mix of wool and other (nylon ,polyamid...) synthetic fibres.
2)
Is GAllatin the name of the wool serie or something special about the wool or process of manufacturing the garnment?
3)
Some question to the material and the fitting.
[Confused]
a)
Although we do have the U.S. Sizes overhere too, they won�t be the same. E.G. normaly i wear a XL by size,but had the chance to try a pair of Trousers on that came from the US and where XL by Size...oh man..they had been 2 sizes to big. [Smile]

b)
Are u usualy wear something under your Bibs, like normal pants or trousers? Or just some layers made out of polypropylen or fleece?
Maybe it�s better to buy a bigger size, so i can use the bibs as "pull-over" , when temperatures get chilly or cold.
What would u suggest as Size: I�m 1.90 meters tall and my weight is arround 106 KG...An XL or better a XXL?

c)
Have u allready washed your Coumbia wool gear, and has it shrinked?

d)
I think that the wool bibs are non insulated and haven�t a liner or layer. Am i right?

e)
What kind of material is the best to wear under wool?
Can u wear al materials und wool?
I�ve heared that when you wear a goretex trouser under wool, the goretex can�t work, because the wool will keep all of the moisrure that comes from the body.
What do u suggest?

I �m not quiet sure, but maybe i like to taylor something into (like a layer) the bibs.
Maybe that it glides more smoothly over the trousers that i wear under or as insulation

@NE 450 No.2
took a look on the filson web page, but couldn�t find some bibs [Smile]
But thank u also for answering.

Okay,
think enough questions for first
all the best
and a happy 3. Advent weekend for all of u

Konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry,
i forgot to ask if you may know a shop (maybe where i can place an online-order) who has a sale on these clothings and do have the bibs, vest and the Jacket.
i found two shops in the net, but the one only has the jacket, and the other only the vest and the bibs.
So maybe you have an advice or ...

konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Konst#1,

I wear Filson and Woolrich clothing almost year round. This stuff is durable and will last long enough for you to get your moneys' worth.

If you need camo, then I would recomend 'King Of The Mountain'. You can machine wash this stuff when you get blood, etc. on it. It is exspensive, but you should not have to buy anouther set.

I wear duofold underwear from cabella's under my wool clothing. It has a thin layer of polyproplene and a thin layer of wool. I have used this underwear for years. It is great stuff. Drys very quickly. Cabella's does not list it in thier cataloge, I have asked them for it over the phone and they have supplied the Duofold.

All these places will take your measurements so that you can get a proper fit. Thier service is good and they are willing to help.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Yukonner,
thank you too, for the given recommends. [Wink]
I know King of the mountain, and sleeping Indian Designs, and guess that they produce 1A+ wool clothings. [Smile]
But a students budget is limitated [Embarrassed] and think i need a much bigger budget to get my things there.

The woolrich and filson clothes maybe good, but i�m more interested in the Columbia stuff.
It looks good for me, although the look won�t keep u warm [Big Grin]
Hope to get some more recommends...
so don�t hesitate to answer to my Questions [Razz]

Konstantin
Nice X-MAS to all of u

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
What I did recently was the following.

With the bibs, I pulled on silk long johns, then poly-pro long johns, and over these garments I wore the Woolrich bibs and the Woolrich shirt.

I used some 1200-grain Thinsulate boots I got from Bass Pro (only because they had them and Cabela's didn't). When I got up in the mornings, I pulled on a silk sock liner, then a Thermax liner, then a Thermax sock, then the boots.

Over this, I wore a blaze-orange hunting coat and a blaze orange hat of some sort (I took several to suit how warm I was at the moment -- I'd just switch off accordingly).

For my hands, I used some glove liners that Cabela's sells and, over them, some elkskin gloves.

I wasn't cold. Not once did my toes get cold (a first in my life).

Layering is the key. If you put on "one thick thing," and you get too hot... you're screwed. If you put on "several thin things," you can take things off and put them back on as needed to stay comfortable.

Nothing I've washed has shrunk, but I use Woolite and hang them, I don't throw them into the dryer.

The Columbia Gallatin series is what I would call "thick." I'd only really consider it for when I would be doing a lot of stationary hunting. It's good, quality stuff though.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted Montana a couple of years ago, I layered up. I wore thick poly prop long johns with a long sleeved t-shirt over that, under a wool shirt with a fleece sweatshirt/coat over that. A wool hat or balaclava on my head. Thick wool pants. Polyprop liner socks and heavy wool socks in 1000 gr Cabella's Outfitter boots. As I was walking most of the time, this was fine and warm enough, even at 10 or 15 below zero. (Wool gloves, too.) I was very impressed with the fleece, if a wind-blocking outer garment was worn and if the fleece didn't get wet.

If I was to be on a "stand" along a trail, I would add more clothes, particularly a heavy Walls camo, Saddle Cloth insulated parka and thin Merino wool socks instead of the the polyprop under the thick wool socks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey,
yes that�s exactly for what i need the bibs and jacket for...long sitting on tree stands.. [Smile]

Since three days i�m looking in the net and try do see where the differences in wool hunting clothing�s are.
But i have to say....the only things i found out are:
1) The mixture of the garnment is different,..some use 100%virgin wool, other (like Columbia) 65% receycled wool + a mixture of synthetic fibres
2) The pattern of the camo
3) weight of the garnment
4) the process of produce the garnment.

The question i ask myself is:
If i can get a pair of Columbia�s Gallatin wool bibs for 80US$ ..and the one�s of KOM costs over 300US$... won�t the Columbia Bibs get the job done?

Okay the KOM clothings are machine washable, and Columbia only to clean dry (can�t i wash them by hand???).
But after all,if "only" (but i guess that�s the point of interest)the material is different and the KOM is easilier to clean is that worth over 200US$ ???

I hope someone can bring light in the darkness and tell me whhat to DO [Big Grin]

Maybe after hearing some more oppinions will help me.

So to say, can�t somebody tell me the gods and bads?? [Wink]

The columbia ..is good but not to be compared to KOM because the mixture of the synthetic cfibres..will..or won�t..this and that
For the first thx�s
and till soon
Konstantin

<yorick>
posted
not wool i know but this is what i wear OVER the rest of my layers (silk longjohns, wool shirt and pants) I don't get cold but I don't sit long either...

-

leafy camo from cabelas is large enought to go over everything else.....and I ain't exactly small either..

[ 12-24-2002, 08:04: Message edited by: yorick ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you commit to anything you should check out this stuff. The quality is superb and it's offered in some of the best camo patterns.

http://www.dayonecamouflage.com/

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Chigger>
posted
You need to get your hands on a Cabela's catalog, there are several brands and styles located there for your selection purposes. I wear wool bibs, but not the camo type.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hi ncbowman,
what kind of garnment you would favourite? Fleece or saddlecloth?
I think fleece do have a problem with thistles and stuff like this.

@chigger:
i know cabelas, but the choice of products is too big.
Another problem is, that i don�t know anything of the differences in quality of the listed products, because i never have a chance to see the garnment or touch the fabric...because i only do have the picture of the stuff.

But maybe you can give me a hand and tell me which trades are realy good and "so l� l�".
e.g. i know the house trades of our hunting outfitters and now which ones are good or bad.

A nice new years eve and alll the best to all of u
konstantin

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I have practically lived in my Columbia Gallatin Range hunting clothes this fall and just love the stuff. I have the pants (from Cabelas because they hem), the shirt/jacket and the jacket (from http://www.sportsmansguide.com because I am a Buyer's Club member) and the boonie hat from Scheel's All Sports (because there is one in town). I use either lightweight (25+ degrees F) or midweight (below 25 degrees F) Comfortrel long underwear from http://www.sierratradingpost.com this stuff can't be beat for the price. Any good Gore-Tex hunting boot with 1000 gram Thinsulate should be good with a polypropolene, thermax or thermastat liner sock and a heavy 90%+ merino wool boot sock (remember if your footgear is too tight your feet will get cold, using unscented foot powder can help also). If I'm going to be sitting a lot I'll wear the midweight Comfortrel longjohns, a Woolrich Alaskan Shirt, the Gallatin shirt/jacket, the Gallatin pants and the Gallatin jacket. Toasty!

You can wash your Gallatin Range clothes. I use Sport Wash http://www.atsko.com/sportwash.html cold water wash delicate cycle and hang on a rack to drip dry. It comes out like new and does not shrink.

So you can get an entire outfit that works very well for less than the price it would cost for just a jacket of Sleeping Indian, Filson or King of the Mountain.

[ 12-26-2002, 21:06: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote