Find
Notify
Tools

How to control Buck Fever
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
How do you guys control Buck Fever? I have killed over 30 deer with a rifle and a couple with a handgun. Sometimes I don't get the shakes, adrenalin rush or how ever you describe it. What happens to me is “after†I shoot I get the shakes and the muscles in my back tighten up and they can hurt a lot. It doesn’t happen all of the time though sometimes it won’t happen for a couple of years.

What would you say is the best way to control this problem? It hasn’t cost me accuracy but it is aggravating to have to wait to calm down to go after a deer.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
When I quit getting it, I'll hang up my hunting gear.

I don't look for that to ever happen. Grew Up hunting w/ my grandpa and he got excited up to the last year he was w/ us and he managed to bag 12 whitetails that year. I'd love to see him get pumped up about again, good times.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When sighting the deer and aiming at it. I look for a particular spot on the animal and stop looking at the antlers, etc. I concentrate on a particular patch of hair or a crease or something and stop looking at the whole animal.

The shakes after it's over is fine, actually it's great!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 - pee your pants
#2 - go home and have 4 or 5 shots of good scotch
#3 - jump the old lady
#4 - go to bed and come back in the morning
sofa

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I have never had it.I just look at the animal as a target.Either as it's internal organs or just what I normally shoot at the range.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog563:

My dad used to say that what makes for buck fever is that you already see the buck up on the wall! Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Me? I wait... put the gun on safety... wait till it fades, then get a shot before it comes back...

and count me in the me, that if I get to where I don't get buck fever anymore, i'll quit hunting!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think training and reflex action are the keys to buck fever. I always get excited as others when I see the one I want to take a shot at. But as soon as I raise the scope on him and take off the safety, then I get really focussed on hitting the target.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontMike:
I think training and reflex action are the keys to buck fever. I always get excited as others when I see the one I want to take a shot at. But as soon as I raise the scope on him and take off the safety, then I get really focussed on hitting the target.

I've never had it either, though from time to time I'll start salivating thinking of the fine meals to comeSmiler

I look at an animal and I see steaks, roasts
stew, chili and mabey some meatloafSmiler

Hmmm... I think I'm gonna go dig a loin roast out of the freezer...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
More than anything is the importance of remaining in control of the situation. Don't allow the thought that the deer/animal is going to win the encounter. Positive mind set: I am going to kill this buck/bear whatever, and I am going to do it well and proudly. I would add that to think kill is better than to think shoot/hit/whatever. Go the distance!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
The best way to overcome Buck fever is to train with your rifle often. Concentrate on your breathing and trigger squeeze until it is automatic every time you look through the scope. Every time you feel yourself get excited, concentrate on your breathing.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote