New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best self-defense handgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get a new S&W titanium frame 2" barrel .357, but I would have her practice with light 38 spl loads.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To all who have answered and given great advice, thank you very much. Sorry about how long it took for me to respond to your questions.

Now to clear up a few things, I would never consider shooting someone over my car sterio. A $150 sterio is not worth spending a considerable part of my life in jail. As for my wife, she grew up with a father who is a correctional officer, who thought the best thing he could do was teach his daughters to shoot handguns and long-guns. Bless his heart! She has experience shooting a S&W M29 revolver in 357 Mag.

The one problem with my Rem. 870 20g. is that it has a 28" barrel. Not exactly the best for in home manuvering. I can purchase a 20" rifled barrel it, although then it would only be good for slugs. Over-penetration would then be the issue.

As for a dog, I live in a rented duplex where the landlord does not allow me to have a dog. Another problem is that I live in Ca. in a heavely populated area, but hopefully not for long. To restate myself, I would never, ever, shoot someone who was trying to steal my car or radio. I might throw something at them.

The duplex I live in has dead bolts, windows have locks and blocks to prevent them from being opened. Again, thanks to every person who responded.

Big 17

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ROFLMAO, some of these guys really like to spend other folks money. Maybe I read the post wrong but I thought we were talking about a home defense weapon. Not a "stuff I'd like to have if I had a lot of money". The answer is simple: Ruger mk II. .22 auto pistol. simple to shoot, simple to become proficient with, cheap to shoot, no finger popping recoil, no ear splitting report, no chance of killing someone four doors down, RELIABLE AS A FUNDEMENTALIST PREACHER SHOWING UP FOR A CHICKEN DINNER! I don't know what the poster that talked about auto's jamming has been shooting but it wasn't a ruger mk II. And why is it that most if not all major police forces have switched to auto's if they are so unreliable. Because of the low report and lack of recoil women quickly grow to be proficient with it and some grow to enjoy shooting it. And being familar and practiced with the piece is of paramount importance in a stress situation. Few if any folks, having been shot with a .22, do not immediately change their line of thought to "where is the closest first aid". As a sidebar fact: more folks are killed with a .22 than all of the other calibres combined.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok:
You have an experienced shooter in the house, and a woman.
Ask her what she wants to have around the house.

I still think a 45 SAA Ruger, is the cheapest, scariest gun going.

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SIG Sauer P 228 in 9 mm P if its going to be really tough. Add good ammo and two spare mags.

For a woman, who doesn�t want to train much: KISS principle. S & W Military & Police, .38 spl, 4". Ev. 2". 125 grs JHP�s.

The Glock is fine and reliable, but it will fire with a very light pull on the trigger :-). Good wenn carried with empty chamber.

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote