THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    222 rem loaded with 50 gr barenes x ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 rem loaded with 50 gr barenes x ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I bought a few boxes of sako cartridge loaded with Bx and wonder,how good these cartridges are for hunting roe deer? if you have tried them ,please tell me about.TIA
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
Hi
I bought a few boxes of sako cartridge loaded with Bx and wonder,how good these cartridges are for hunting roe deer?
Danny

Hallo Danny,

I haven�t tried them myself yet, but the Swedish gun magazine "Vapentidningen" had a test in the end of the nineties. They used a .22-250 for the test, but nevertheless the bullet did perform well without destroying to much meat. However, the roes run their fifty yards or so as usually when you use a small caliber gun. But you have the great advantaged of a bullet that always penetrate - usual .222 bullets are a bit hazardous on roe as they are too weak. The bullet is said to need a short rate of twist as 10 or 12 inches in .222 Rem. With 14in. they may key-hole.

But all this is for me just theory yet: I�m also going to test SAKO`s X-load in .222 Rem but later this autumn. I have however used X-bullet in a 8x60, and am very content with precision (1 inch over iron sights at 100 yds!) and efficiency.

Go on with the X:s next week at the opening of the roe season an please be back with your experiences!

Best regards,

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<NM Kid>
posted
Hello,

I am not sure how large a Roe deer is? But I have harvested mule deer 180-200 lbs with a 222 shooting the X Bullet. I read an article by Ed AShby and his use of a 22 hornet on african big game. That little hoirnet made short work of some very large animals. Barnes bullets could probably help you find the article. Good luck with the deer hunt,

Chad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roe deer ( Rehwild )is 45 lbs max ( dressed). How about the Nosler 60 grs Partition. And I have always thought the 1 in 14 twist is for 50 grs bullets?

Even if longer than regular bullets that x should be just as long as a 55 grs regular bullet??

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot, and seen shot, a number of roe deer with a 222 Rem. and with a 5,6x50R Mag and in my opinion in the 50 to 60 grain range, you won't find a bullet which is too soft for such a petite critter. At 22-250 velocities, things could be different, though.
At 5,6x50R velocities, balistic tips and either sierra's, or hornady's, or speer's or rws's lead tipped soft points kill roe deer like lightning. I have a few 53 grain X's and a few 60 gr Partitions loaded but Hornady's 60 grain Spire Point perform in such a way that I have not found the moment to try the penetrators.
If it ain't broke...
Regards, Montero.

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I have shot the the Barnes 50 & 53gr X bullets from my 221 Fireball rifle with 1-14" twist. Although accuracy was disappointing compared to more conventional bullets, they had no stability problems. If I remember correctly, they shot about 3in groups at 200yds.