New
Find
Notify
Tools

Other Bison questions too
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going to Texas for a Bison shoot and pig hunting in early February.

Looks like the .458 AR isn't going to make it in time ... bluing was delayed due to weather. So am left with either a .416 Rigby bolt rifle with 350 grain X bullets or a Searcy .470 NE with 500 gr Woodleigh SPs. Either will certainly work.

Don't find much info on the best place to shoot a Bison. Anyone have information or a like to a good drawing?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
I've shot two, both with an 1885 454 casull and 300 gr A-frames. Either rifle is more than enough and approaching within 100 yds is usually very do-able. In terms of shot placement, I do not have a pic but can say this: most of them is hump. My last bull had 17" vertebral process + spine length. ANYTHING impacting above the half way point in the chest will be nonvital. The diaphragm is also relatively far foreward. You want to aim for poi no higher than the shoulder joint and just behind it( 1/3 of the way up from the bottom and just behind the shoulder joint).

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
i did find a pic of a few of our bison but it doesn't look like I have permission to upload or attach the pic. sorry!

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best place to shoot a bison is 2" below the bottom of the horn, 2" back. Drops them in their tracks.

MG

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I have vast experience, NOT, shot one about six years ago.

I was also told about the 2" back, 2" down to get into their neck/brain. I was using a double rifle drilling and didn't have confidence that I wouldn't damage the skull (gotta have the skull hanging on the wall).

I just shot for the vitals and Lefty's right, the amount of hump is amazing and non-vital. I went behind the leg down low. Certainly didn't drop in his tracks but it was a kill shot. Kind of fun with the double rifle: two quick shots into one side, then he turned as I reloaded. Two more quick shots in the other side and he bled like mad. Didn't take very long at all until he was down for the count.

I'd get a picture of the vitals. I'd also get ready for the best meat you'll ever eat.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find a drawing of the skeleton. Utah Lefty is correct - lower half only .

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
This might helpt - courtesy www.tarpits.org:

And, of course, for after - courtesy www.canadianbison.ca.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Info!!!

Thank you all.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Get thee to the book store or Amazon and obtain a copy of The Perfect Shot, North America by Boddington. Lots of good info on the animals, suggested cartridges, and shot placement for all kinds of stuff. I like my copy a lot.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heed the sound advice of Madgoat. I was a designated shooter for a bison ranch in north cental Mt. for clients on my weekends before I ended up in Iraq again(by choice). You don't need a cannon to put them down either. I've taken bison with one shot kills with .222 Rems, 22-250's, 6mms, 270 WSMS, 06'S, etc. all the way up to 458 Lott. Bison are tough but if you bean em'in the head they go down 99% of the time. Shot placement is everything and so are good bullets. I had one guy back in 03'put (9) Yes, nine .338 win mag rds in a buff trophy bull from 200 yds. out and up. After a mile and a half chase and him outa ammo I finished it off at 250 yds. One shot- 6mm to the head with an 85g partition. Post autopsy at the Hutterite colony recovered 2 mushroom slugs from behind the shoulder. Both were killing shots. That guy raked that critter from ass to neck trying to put it down. I've watched a 10 yr old kid knock 3 down with 3 shots with a .243 and factory 100g Rem. loads. all were in the head. Just make your shot(s) count........

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
Listen to Madgoat. He suggested the same to me and here is the Nov. 7th 2006 result. I actually hit it about 4" below and 4" behind the horn from about 40 yards.

NRA Life member, H-D FLHTC, Hunter Ed instructor, And a elk huntin' fool!

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just double lung the brute, which will let him bleed out. Shoot him in the head and all you got is a bunch of bloody meat. I imagine the meat is a big reason why you are going. There is a reason the slaughter houses use electro-stimulation to get all the blood possible out of the system. Place your shot 8" above the brisket, about 2" off the back of the front leg.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used to work for a ranch that raised bison for meat sales and I have shot over fifty of them through the years. I have used mostly "deer" caliber sized guns(used 270win mostly) and only had one get back up, that one was shot through the skull from the front with a 45/70, no fault of gun or cartridge but more on my shot placement. I favor to shoot them by lining up eye & ear and going back about two inches. If the animal is holding their head neutral this shot will break the neck every time. good luck.

Posts: 5 | Location: gopher gulch | Registered: 26 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Check out this thread from a couple years ago...here.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Mike, there's a story on the Cabela's site where a guy shot one with a Chappie in 470 NE. Of course, the bullet fragmented into pieces, even though the critter just dropped as pole-axed.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks for the threads! What year did the big one occur? I missed it completely the first time. The mobile butcher is a deal and a half. Can't imagine I'll be lucky enough to run into that!

In terms of the meat, is there much between the upper spinal processes? Looks like there should be.

Also ... what does a buffalo robe weigh before it is tanned? How thick is it? Does one simply salt it for a few weeks before having it done by the taxidermist? Can it be done with gluteraldehyde as one might do a deer skin?

Thanks again Guys!

Mike

--------------