New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hugo CO Non-Typical
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was sent this photo by my cousin. The buck was taken by a friend of his son in unit 421 in the Grand Mesa area during CO's 2nd rifle season earlier this month.

I did a count and based on the photo I think there are 15 points on one side and 14 on the other but there are probably more since you only see this one view. I'm guessing the spread is at least 40 inches. As soon as they got to town they took the buck to the DOW office in Grand Junction. The DOW supplied him with the name of an official B&C scorer. The score can't be official until a 60 day drying period but this buck should place high in the books.

Truly a once in a lifetime buck! Not bad for a local boy, hunting for meat on his own without a guide is it?

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing buck!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a monster for sure. There are better pictures of it here here. Rumor has it at 42" spread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a damn nice non typical.
Congrats to the hunter. shocker

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much cape to work with, must of been his first tophy buck..........one heck of a first!!!!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a friggen monster!!!!!

He may as well just give up hunting.....no sense trying to top that one!

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
Not much cape to work with, must of been his first tophy buck..........one heck of a first!!!!

From what my cousin told me, the guy is a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter. He probably didn't know much about caping etc... Still, if the cape is too short I'm sure a taxidermist can provide a replacement.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The First Two Words that came to mind were..Holy.. And S.?!t
What an amazing buck

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
That looks back to the glory days of SW Colorado. Wonderful times growing up to see those huge bucks bounding over the rocky ridges.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
311 Gross is what I'm hearing

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm hearing the same, the taxidermist and his buddies have measured it 3 times and come up with 308 to 311.
As luck would have it my brother knows the Taxidermist and got to hear some about the buck. The hunter is a regular guy, Iraq vet, when he brought the buck to drop at the Taxidermist he headed right back out because he had a cow tag to fill.
I am truly impressed by this Buck, very exceptional and this is the Buck I picture when I think of "huge nontypical".

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is Ok,but think of what he would have looked like next year!!! popcorn

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True.. His Bosses are still a bit soft looking and his nose looks a little pink
sofa

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Can't help but wonder, the first few years I hunted in Colorado, I hunted in 421. That is where I still go for late season cow elk.

The years I hunted in 421, they were under a 3 point restriction, and finding a legal buck was often difficult.

December of 2013 when I hunted late season cow, I saw several bucks that would have been legal under the 3 point rule just off of Grand Mesa.

Damned impressive animal regardless of where it came from.

Congratulations to the hunter.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 30 October 2014 05:30 Hide Post
True.. His Bosses are still a bit soft looking and his nose looks a little pink

yuck

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you know his name was Hugo?

Posts: 318 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a monster for sure. Glad a vet got him.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Digitally enhanced?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Digitally enhanced?

Nope.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hell of a buck

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Digitally enhanced?

Stupid question. Guess you didn't bother to read the thread. By the way the photo was taken with a cell phone.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the hunter and great to know huge bucks like this still exist!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like one of those high plains bruisers...God Bless meat hunters!