THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Is CV going to affect your hunting plans for this year?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is CV going to affect your hunting plans for this year?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please explain.Thanks,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I'll probably drive rather than fly back to hunt deer with my brother in Ohio. Does that count?

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Coronavirus Global Pandemic

"WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing today that the agency is "deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction” when he said the novel corona virus outbreak is a pandemic.

He added: “We cannot say this loudly enough, or clearly enough, or often enough: All countries can still change the course of this pandemic.""

"He said in the days and weeks ahead, they expect to see the number of cases and deaths "climb even higher," and expressed concern over the levels of "inaction" in some countries."

I won't be applying for any draw hunts out of state nor will I be traveling any time soon. I have cancelled my trip to Wyoming and my hunt in New Mexico this year.

Stock market will continue to tank too as we head towards another recession.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a safari planned for this year (May) in South Africa. I have been watching the world map on the coronavirus spread. Until today, there were only a few African countries affected. Today, it appears to have hit South Africa.

I am considering postponing my safari until next year. I will not ask for a refund, but rather to apply my money towards a 2021 hunt. I will wait a bit longer however, to see how the virus behaves over the next month. Doesn't look positive however. We'll see.

If I don't ask for a refund, my outfitter will not suffer a financial loss, but rather a delayed hunt. Hope this is a workable solution.

edit: I just realized this is the American hunting forum. Thought I was on the African forum. Sorry fellas. But, perhaps the arrangement I am proposing would also work with some American outfitters on postponement of dates?

Posts: 2602 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No.

Already booked to fly to TANZANIA in September.

Flew last week to Switzerland, and have several flights booked during the summer.

Apparently the last pandemic was in 2009, affecting 1.4 billion people!!??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am hunting currently only hunting on hunts I am driving to. And only in 4 or 5 western states depending on the drawings.

I was told to make an office call to another agency in Seattle last week. I told my superiors F.U.

After a couple of tense moments, they agreed and I am not going there.

No reason to bring that home to my kids.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
See expert's stark warning about future of the virus: https://www.cnn.com/videos/pol...t-fauci-lead-vpx.cnn

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
""

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watch the video above. Maybe it will give some perspective. Information is the key.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I have a safari planned for this year (May) in South Africa. I have been watching the world map on the coronavirus spread. Until today, there were only a few African countries affected. Today, it appears to have hit South Africa.

I am considering postponing my safari until next year. I will not ask for a refund, but rather to apply my money towards a 2021 hunt. I will wait a bit longer however, to see how the virus behaves over the next month. Doesn't look positive however. We'll see.

If I don't ask for a refund, my outfitter will not suffer a financial loss, but rather a delayed hunt. Hope this is a workable solution.

edit: I just realized this is the American hunting forum. Thought I was on the African forum. Sorry fellas. But, perhaps the arrangement I am proposing would also work with some American outfitters on postponement of dates?

It does not matter about this being The American forum.I consider this a world wide problem.Me myself have cancelled two hunts I was planning on doing this year.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Since I ranch it is impossible for me to get away for a proper guided hunt so I stay home. I have good deer hunting, small game and a nice spring fed pond full of fish right out my front door.

If I could do some traveling to hunt I would. But with no one to watch the farm I am going to make do here.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Please explain.Thanks,OB

I plan to drive, so all I need is to be not dead. The fly in the ointment is a shortage of Wyoming antelope tags.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
driving and stopping all along the country sounds like a great way to avoid door handles and other people.

i'll be hunting right here just like every other year.
never see any deer, but I don't see any other hunters either so it's all good.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not changing anything. I only hunt in here Colorado, I'm cautious when I go to town, limiting contact with other people etc.

Posts: 332 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
driving and stopping all along the country sounds like a great way to avoid door handles and other people.

i'll be hunting right here just like every other year.
never see any deer, but I don't see any other hunters either so it's all good.

Utah's Clear Creek Canyon is just across I-70 from a nice little campground and just up the creek from Fremont State Park (interesting Indian museum).
I would never have found any of it except for driving around in circles and missing my freeway ramp.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's how I find all the good spots, or break something on the truck... LOL.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm down 25% in my 401k and still falling.
The orders at the factory I work for has
slowed tremendously.
It's making me sick alright

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:
I'm not changing anything. I only hunt in here Colorado, I'm cautious when I go to town, limiting contact with other people etc.

Is that new behavior, or are you just sticking to your normal anti-social ways?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I'm down 25% in my 401k and still falling.
The orders at the factory I work for has
slowed tremendously.
It's making me sick alright

I was in training yesterday and every break, the phones came out and the looks of pain and anguish could be felt flood over the room.

A lot of the guys in there are 55+ and had a 3-5 year time horizon. Some still do.

Then the complaints about killing spring ball started up and no one mentioned the market again.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not worried about the what the 401K says. It will come back.

I'll keep dumping money into the S&P 500 and Small cap mutual funds as the shares are now a lot cheaper.

Worst thing someone can do is sell at low share prices, and turn their perceived loss into a real loss.

I know several people that got ants in their pants and have already turned huge losses into real losses.

Market will come back, always has, always will.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Not worried about the what the 401K says. It will come back.

I'll keep dumping money into the S&P 500 and Small cap mutual funds as the shares are now a lot cheaper.

Worst thing someone can do is sell at low share prices, and turn their perceived loss into a real loss.

I know several people that got ants in their pants and have already turned huge losses into real losses.

Market will come back, always has, always will.

I have been buying as well, but in very small chunks. Yesterday I bought two in the money calls: 5 contracts (500 shares) of BAC at $15, expiring 1-22-22 for $4,000 and 1 contract for SPY 200 calls expiring 12-16-22 for $6776. I have also been buying SPY 250 calls expiring 12-16-22.

A month ago I was lamenting the fact my stock portfolio was doing so much better than my real estate investments, but right now the real estate allows me to sleep at night.

I wrote an email to my employees last night telling them we will be fine; no debt, strong balance sheet, very low fixed costs, and most our customers are in an industry group that is actually faring quite well right now (pulp and paper). We fared well during the GFC...

I am now 60. I have a huge amount of paper losses from this, but you know what? I am not going to live forever, highly unlikely I will run out of money, so I am just going to enjoy every minute.

There are lots of folks who will be diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer today; their 401K balances will suddenly become a non-issue.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to my brother in law who had his entire 401K in a aged based fund. He freaked and shoved into gov bond fund.

Turned it into a real loss. I didn't say anything, just sad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Panic is not a solution to a short term problem. Something every investor who survived the mortgage crisis should have learned...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
quote:

Jeremy

Nothing new, when people tell me I'm anti-social, I tell no I'm just anti-asshole. Farbedo, have I met you?

Posts: 332 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Here's the reality. This virus can kill you but the majority of people that contract it have mild symptoms much like a cold. Old people like myself and people with compromised immune systems are the ones that are in danger. If you look at this way I can't see why anybody would cancel a hunt because they had to take a plane ride. Sadie and I are going to be in four different African countries this fall and we've not even considered cancelling anything.

Yes! I am in the business but if I thought my clients were in real danger I would be telling them to stay home.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12929 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are postponing our Namibia June 2020 hunt until next year. Our primary reason is to avoid any possible quarantine situations during domestic and international travel.

However, we are now considering huntin domestically this year and driving to location.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeremy

Nothing new, when people tell me I'm anti-social, I tell no I'm just anti-asshole. Farbedo, have I met you?

No, I doubt that we have met, but I read between the lines a little. Since you said, I'm not changing anything, and avoiding people in town, I connected the dots. No offense meant.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I was going to take my wife first time with me on hunt out of the country this Spring, Summer.
One problem is my wife had a childhood disease (virus) and was bedridden for 18 mos. From that, she has been continually advised to not even take a flu or pneumonia shot for fear of a problem. I would highly advise that you thoroughly educate yourself with the facts. Not your facts or mine but the facts. I think the youtube video posted above encapsulates a lot of what I have been reading and hearing. I don't think it is as "Old Person" specific as they say. It makes sense with the obesity epidemic you are at a greater risk without diabetes. I will be hunting my usual NM Elk and cashing my points on Mule Deer in CO. this fall and another hunt in CONUS possibly.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The main issue isn't actually getting sick for most. It's the logistics nightmare this creates for travel.

Limiting flights, short notice, or no notice cancellations, along with the normal PITA that air travel sometimes is.

I'm floored by what I consider a strange reaction to this by hoarding toilet paper. That one confuses me.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm floored by what I consider a strange reaction to this by hoarding toilet paper. That one confuses me.

Jeremy

I guess we just found out what people really fear... running out of TP! Totally irrational response, but then many things people have done over the last few weeks have been irrational.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks. I have learned that most folks are very unprepared and that you cannot depend upon them for your help have it done ahead of time yourself. The same thing applies to other things people will need. I only hunt in country. Being not wealthy limits where I hunt but my freezer is full. Besides a fricking hate flying. I have been enough overseas places to teach knife and sword making I dont want to fly again. I will be heading to south Texas again next month.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I already drive to all of my western states hunts, so it won’t affect me if I do draw a tag or two. I already have a ‘cast & blast’ peacock bass and dove trip booked to Bolivia for September and we are wondering if it’ll get cancelled or not. My son is getting married in Mexico in November, so will be flying down there. If I have a good year at work, I may be looking for a discounted African hunt on short notice when it gets to be around August-September. Time will tell...

I’m not worried, if airlines will get me there, I’ll go. As bad as this is in so many ways for people and businesses, there will be opportunities and I’ll take advantage if the right deal comes along.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless they lock the nation down and I can't get back to WIS.

No change as of now.

Wis. spring turkey fall, helping my son and daughter in-law fill their fall bear tags, Montana deer.

Ont. fishing trip BWCA canoe trip both very easy to avoid other people.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The experts keep pushing social distancing. I can think of no better method than going hunting.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, South Africa and Botswana are closed to the US. I guess that will affect safari plans.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because of my age I chose to pull 65%out of high risk investments and put it into safer bonds, etc. about 2 years ago. I am now averaging .06% on those safer investments. The other 35% of risk I kept in were performing way higher than expected... I will keep them in there and ride this out .
Why do people think investing is a short term deal? You wish to take risks you need to know you must stay in long term an it averages out.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/1...sential-traffic.html

“Travelers will no longer be permitted to cross the border for recreation and tourism. In both our countries, we’re encouraging people to stay home,” Trudeau said.

Canada and the USA just closed the border.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A month ago I was lamenting the fact my stock portfolio was doing so much better than my real estate investments, but right now the real estate allows me to sleep at night.

????? Your real estate investments may be slow to react, depending on their nature. But they are hardly immune from the same forces rocking the stock market. Check on the prices of the REITs, which, after all, are just large real estate investments that you can own a part of. They have been hit as hard as most other sectors.

If your RE investments are truly investments of your own money then you can probably weather this just fine, with only a decline in your revenues. But if you financed a major part of your RE investments with mortgages then you're subject to being upside down without positive cash flow.

Diversification is a very useful thing, but virtually all types of investment are currently losing value. Even many bonds, which should be rising in price due to the lowering of interest rates, are losing value because the market is suspecting that the entities which issued the bonds may not be able to pay. The same is true of precious metals, which lose value in a recession because they have little or no intrinsic value to begin with -- you can't eat them, build a shelter with them, burn them for fuel, or ward off infection with them, so no one really wants a chunk of gold very badly.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
No.....no plans to travel anywhere with all of the "trauma"taking place. Will just stay at home and hunt in the back yard.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Im supposed to be heading down under last part of June.

I have everything booked except for plane tickets. Iv been checking prices several times a week since thanksgiving. They haven't changed yet.
Its all up in the air for now.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote