New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow on the ground in Northern MN!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Opening day tomorrow and there is snow on the ground with more on the way. Fried walleye on the menu tonight and stuffed pork chops tomorrow. Should be snowing again at the shack when we arrive late this afternoon. Sauna tomorrow will be great. Lots of people this weekend inc MsAZW and my daughter but the rest of the week it is just me and my hunting buddy until Friday when the crowd shows back up.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're not going to be so happy when you get here - snow and rain and cold for the weekend

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
you're not going to be so happy when you get here - snow and rain and cold for the weekend

I am in Eveleth right now. I go to the stand with a backpack that has a -30 deg bag - I get up in the stand and pull that on and stay warm as toast. Have shot a ton of MN deer in that bag. Will be hunting near Birchdale.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turned out to be a great hunt. Wife and I both took nice deer the first weekend in Pine County MN which is in the eastern middle of the state.
Lots of deer seen.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I go to the stand with a backpack that has a -30 deg bag - I get up in the stand and pull that on and stay warm as toast.

I think you have the right idea!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Today the wind chill never got above zero - i was out from dawn to dusk without going back to the shack

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today the wind chill never got above zero - i was out from dawn to dusk without going back to the shack

Dang cold here to in Northern Wis.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
-12 yesterday morning without windchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I hunted deer it was -22 on opening day northwest of Ely

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
-12 yesterday morning without windchill

It was just balmy here at a -4

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Last time I hunted deer it was -22 on opening day northwest of Ely

When I was younger I would hunt such temps now I throw more wood on the fire and hunt by looking out the window.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
It snowed here last night. I got stuck hauling gravity boxes in the 3155 yesterday, the only tractor with no heat. With all the breakdowns, it made for a long cold day.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was 55 in Miles City yesterday. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Friday was pretty cold but the old sleeping bag trick worked again. Shot a nice 10 pointer yesterday; back at my daughter's tonight.

As for cold temps, I recall one night in Alaska sleeping without heat at -55F; I had a civilian bag inside my Army bag, and breathed through the sleeve of my parka. It was still a chilly night.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks: I have never known cold like that. It was 60 degrees F in KY.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Don't know what your missing Eeker

The coldest I have seen was a -65 dam cold for sure.

I use run down to a -30 now I head to AZ for the winter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Don't know what your missing Eeker

The coldest I have seen was a -65 dam cold for sure.

I use run down to a -30 now I head to AZ for the winter.

Was that Rice Lake in about 1977? I remember a really cold snap then.

Ding me when you get to AZ if you are PHX; I will buy you a beer. At the Mesabi Curling Club watching my daughter curl - now there is some fast paced action - I have to break out a brown paper bag and breathe into it so I don't hyperventilate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was that Rice Lake in about 1977?

1967 I think the mayor was holding a thermometer that read -65.

We go to Yuma get to PHX once in awhile