THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Sierra 7mm 175 SBT - Any Experiences?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra 7mm 175 SBT - Any Experiences?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a load using the Sierra 175 grain SBT in a Weatherby 7mm Ultra Light Weight rifle that shoots under 3/4 MOA. But does anyone have any experience in using this bullet on game?

I have used the Sierra 200 grain SBT in a .300 WSM with great success in Africa, so PLEASE, no hyperbole about "soft" Sierra bullets and how great A-Frames, X and whatever other $$$ bullets you use are. Facts only, and from those who have actually used this bullet.

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KuduKing,
I always have a supply of Sierra 7mm bullets around. I have shot a variety of game with my 7mm Rem mag. and the 160 gr. SBT at a velosity of 3050 fps. with no bullet failures.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 175 Sierra is my 7mm Moose round, and shoots well from both 7mm Remmag and 7 STW.

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kuduking,

I don't have direct experience with the 7mm 175gr SP from Sierra but given your comment about Sierra bullets I wanted to offer up the following.

I've used a 308 Norma now for about 7 years and based on the recommendation of my gunsmith I started out with the 165gr HPBT GK Sierra. He has numerous clients using the same load and all have experienced similar results...it works. I've had equally good results at short range (~50 yards) as well as longer range (~450 yards) and everything in between.

A gripe against BT bullets that I've heard before is performance at close range. My KS whitetail from two seasons ago was pushing 300 pounds and I rolled him at 85 yards with this bullet. I know, a data pool of one, but I was quite happy with the results.

I guess this is just support to you from a fellow Sierra user as I'm quite happy with their product. I'm in Brazil at the moment so I don't have my Sierra poster nearby but I think they make a 7mm 165gr HPBT GK that may offer better performance at longer ranges...that is, if it's even an issue.

I know that wasn't direct experience with your selected bullet like you had asked for but it's my version of $0.02. Hopefully somebody can offer up experience with the exact bullet.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duh, accuracy remark...I forgot to say something in the last message so here goes.

When I do my part (I don't get NEARLY as much practice as I would like) this rifle with the 165gr Sierra HPBT GK pushes 1/2 inch at 100 yards off rests...easily inside 1" at 100 yards. My practice at longer ranges is usually at 400 yards resting the rifle on a toolbox with a sweatshirt on top...result: 5 shots inside 4" so that's pretty honest 1 MOA.

Oh yeah, the load is 74gr H4831SC, individually weighed, formed WW cases, F215 primers.

It's the end of a 14 hour day so my apologies if I've forgotten anything else.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Excellent info thank you. Sierra tells me that the 175 SBT has the same 3% antimony core as the .308 200 SBT bullet, so I expect good performance.

Your experiences are welcome information. .308 Norma? Now thats an oldy but a goodie.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote