THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    German-South African would like to hunt/fish in Montana,Wyoming, South Dakota

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German-South African would like to hunt/fish in Montana,Wyoming, South Dakota
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Strange, although having relatives in the States, I have never been there! But next year June/July I should be able to make it.

What animals can be hunted in Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota? Trophy fees?
What are the best areas for hunting, resp. fly-fishing? If possible I would like to be accompanied by Native Indians. Kindly provide me with addresses of hunting/fishing outfitters. Recommendations regarding accomodation would be welcomed as well.

Last question: would it be difficult to bring my double barrel 9,3 X 74 R along?

Sorry for the many questions...

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there aren't many big game seasons open in North America during the time you'll be here. June/July, as you know, is our summer. Unlike some parts of Africa, we have very few year-round hunting opportunities in most places here. Exotic animals are the exception, and I can't think of any in Wyoming off the top of my head. I'm sure you can find some excellent fishing, and probably set up some prairie dog shooting.

Since you probably won't get to hunt big game, I wouldn't worry about your rifle, as I understand it is pretty troublesome to import a rifle to the states.

There are several booking agents and Wyoming residents here that will surely chime in, hopefully providing you with better information than I.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
If you wanted to take a side trip to Canada there are a few places you can hunt black bear in June. However you would have to go with an outfitter.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
DesertRam is correct. There won't be any big game hunting in June/July. Season doesn't open until Sept/Oct. There is some very good fishing during the summer. Also you can get into some great prairie dog shooting. It is nothing to shoot 250 rounds a day. Let me know when you are coming and maybe I can help you set up something.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, Idaho is close enough to that general area and bear hunting goes on well into June. I killed a real nice boar in the Selway-Bitterroots right close to the Montana border in June of '04.

I do have an outfitter in Wyoming that I believe does spring bear but I don't know how long their season is, but I can check.

Last I knew bringing a rifle in is a lengthy and complicated process with applications and forms of all sort to be sent well ahead of time to our government.

~Ann

Posts: 19166 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
As Ann stated, there are spring bear hunts available in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. I'm not sure when WY season closes though. MT and ID goes untill about June 15th. Nothing else to hunt except varmints. I'm not 100% sure since you would be an alein, but you could do a bear hunt on your own and the cost is nothing more than what ever the hunting licence and permit costs. In Montana that would be about $300 and in ID and WY I think its about the same. Then you have just about any public land to hunt you wish. You probably won't kill one unless you're pretty lucky and do your homework, but its a heck of a lot cheaper than going on a guided hunt for 10 times as much and you still might not kill a bear.

There are no high fence hunts in either WY or MT, not sure about SD though. ID has canned hunts if you're intersted though.

I suppose you could possibly line up a bison hunt on an Indian reservation in one of the states, we'er talking probaly $3500-4000+ for a hunt.

Never imported a rifle to the states, not sure what it would take. I would think it would be easier to borrow one if you could.

Fly fish in the western parts of Montana and WY. With out knowing where you want to go or are planning on going its hard to give you any direction... but as a general rule, most all the rivers, lakes and streams in western MT and WY are excellent. One day float trips on a river with a guide will run about $350-500.

I would sugest going to Yellowstone park and/or Glacier Park if you have the chance... Well worth the visit. You could easily spend a week in either park and surounding communities/areas. Not to mention you could fly fish the rivers in those areas till your arm fell off. Big Grin

Sounds like you're in for a great trip.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come later in the year in the Fall and We'll submit you for deer/antelope. If you draw I'll take you out for nothing . I have some great bird dogs and we can shoot some birds as well! Oct is prime time for deer with the season usually opening around the 21 -22nd of Oct. I have some private land as well as state land to hunt. PM me if your interested

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much so far, you guys helped me a lot. Unfortunately it got to be June/July 'cause I want to watch the events regarding the Little Bighorn fight.

Pity that there arn't any mammals to hunt during those month, except prairie dogs. Fly-fishing is nice as well...

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
The Little Big Horn BF is very close to one of the BEST trout rivers in Montana... aka the Big Horn River.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote