New
Find
Notify
Tools

North American Big Game Rifle???
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here's *MY* choice, for all NA game, from tree rats to bears...

358 winchester on a mexican mauser (can use a wincheter SA)

You can go buy a featherweight in 708, have it rebarreled and sights added for LESS than 400 more, and you yourself can add spacers or cut down the stock.... It's like a 14.25 and comes with a tiny pad, so making it fit anyone a a breeze.

That, with 225 grain good bullets, will take bear, No Problem, Moose and elk... yep... deer? WOW.. look ma', no bloodshot meat

rabbits and tree rats? 158 JHP or TMJ, at 2900 fps...

and I do this with a 20" barrel

Jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Jeffeosso, the little 358 Winchester? And I was under the impression that you considered the 375 H&H small bore [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by savage49494:
RuffHewn, I agree with almost everything you said. I see you are ex military therefore I understand your confidence in that calibre and bullet weight. I also agree with the higher velocities in shorter barrel lengths. Where I don't agree is shooting a grizz at 300+ yards with a .308. Can it be done? Certainly. Definitely not recommended. If one "had" to shoot one at that range, you wouldn't want much less than a .340 Weatherby with 250 grain Barnes X.

I used a .270 Win/130SGK to take the only bear I have ever taken. B.C., 180 yds, 1 130 gr Sierra Game King right through Grizzis heart, Spring 1983 on my first leave after Beirut, on the last hunt away from home turf with my dad. I have no basis for comparison since it the only bear, but prior to swithing to the .270 for all game, from the time I was 13 till I was 17, I hunted mice to moose with a .338 WinMag and 250 Sierra Game Kings. On a few hunts while in the Marine Corps I hunted wild game with a .308 and a .300 WinMag, and even used .45ACP pistol on a couple of whitetails. Now I use a .300WSM. I never had to shoot a big game animal twice, except my first whitetail with a shotgun when I was 12 years old, and I can honestly say I do not recall any animal staying mobile for more than 5 or 6 seconds (except that 1st whitetail) no matter which I used. Results with any rifle are largly dependent on the shooter. In most basic terms, patience to wait for right shot + marksmanship + knowledge of game anatomy = SUCCESS.

Do I have an affinity for the .308? No, even though there is so much good about the caliber, but a 22 inch barrel was specced. I do appreciate the attributes of a short action rifle. If it was to be a 24-26" I would have suggested a .300 WSM, and 26+" would have begged for a 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot. I am partial to .30 cal because of the low cost military surplus projectiles available for practice ammo. cheap ammo = much practice

As an afterthought:
I just have to ask is there some misconception that it take massive ft-lbs of energy to kill? I know this is going fly in the face of conventional thought, and start a serious shit storm, but bullet energy does not kill. Blood loss or stopping the function of vital organs kills.

[ 06-16-2003, 02:40: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to hunt one particular species the overwhelming majority of the the time, get the rifle and caliber most suited for that species. Mostly deer with the occasional elk or moose? .7/08, .308, .270, /06,..whatever, don't strain on a gnat.

If you will be taking the larger deer more than occasionally, I'd take a lightweight .300 mag, short or long.

If you can afford a custom-built, then you can afford two rifles: a .25-06 and .338 Mag. prairie dogs to bear.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My main Big Game Rifle for the past many years has been a custom rig built on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action. The caliber is 280 Remington. The barrel is a realistic 25" and scope power is 4X12 - Leupold, of course. With this Rifle I have taken Mt. Goat, Elk, Mule Deer, Blacktail Deer, Whitetail Deer, Black Bear and Antelope. I would not hesitate to Hunt Moose with it for a second.
Some fall soon I hope to Hunt Coues Deer with it to complete my collection of Deer.
Back to the Rifle and action. The Rifle holds 6 cartridges and is the safest most reliable action I have ever dealt with. Broken firing pins with this action are unheard of!
I took my time looking for an action and purposely chose one that was made the same month I was born (July 1947) and this vintage action had the so called transition model safety. It is a small wing like 3 position safety that is virtually impossible to accidentally disengage!
Good bullets and care in placement with the 280 will bring any NA Game home with you! If the first round does not bring them to bag the next 5 will!
I brought this Rifle online many years ago after retiring a pre-64 Model 70 in 30/06 and then retiring another old Model 70 in 270 Winchester. I simply had taken their fair share of game with both of them and out of respect hung them up permanently!
I hope to take a Caribou with my 280 Model 70 in the near future also.
I do not think the 280 would lose much knock down power with the short barrel you are intent upon.
Another great choice would be the 7mm/08 built on a Remington 700 SA. I have seen this caliber perform and its a dandy Big Game cartridge. I do not think I will be Hunting Grizzly anytime soon and if I was I would probably opt for a 338 on up.
Remember though all the other Big Game Animals other than Grizzly like the Sheep, Antelope, Mt. Goat and open country Mule deer where accuracy and flat trajectory are at least as important as knock down power! The 280 is one great choice!
Good luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Since you leave out the big bruins, my vote goes to the 300 Winchester on a Model 70 action or a variant thereof. And heck, even if you should decide to go for the big bears, a 300 is by no means inadequate! jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for a 9.3x62 in a cz 550 as an allrounder and McMillan have there AHR stock for these if you want a rough weather job.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my two to go rifles are 375 ICL and 358 Norma

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RuffHewn,

quote:
I just have to ask is there some misconception that it take massive ft-lbs of energy to kill? I know this is going fly in the face of conventional thought, and start a serious shit storm, but bullet energy does not kill. Blood loss or stopping the function of vital organs kills.
That is understood. I have to make assumptions since you only stated 300+ yards. I'm assuming we're talking about 350-450 yards. At those distances your 168 grain bullet is losing effectiveness especially on an animal of that size. I use a 338 WM but most of my shooting is well inside of 300 yards. Now if we're getting into long shots I'd want the extra power of the Weatherby. At the long distance you mentioned a 308 in that bullet weight, if you don't anchor him with that first shot and have to go in the bushes after him, I personally want more power than a 308. Even the 338 that I use is considered a minimum by many guides. Like I said before it can be done but... Maybe on the short side of 300 yards but I don't like your chances on the far side.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by savage49494:
RuffHewn,

I have to make assumptions since you only stated 300+ yards. I'm assuming we're talking about 350-450 yards. At those distances your 168 grain bullet is losing effectiveness especially on an animal of that size. I use a 338 WM but most of my shooting is well inside of 300 yards. Now if we're getting into long shots I'd want the extra power of the Weatherby. At the long distance you mentioned a 308 in that bullet weight, if you don't anchor him with that first shot and have to go in the bushes after him, I personally want more power than a 308. Even the 338 that I use is considered a minimum by many guides. Like I said before it can be done but... Maybe on the short side of 300 yards but I don't like your chances on the far side.

I should have been more specific than 300+, but I meant to around 325 yds, the range when the velocity would still be above 2000 fps. FACT: Expanding bullets penetrates deeper at 2000 than at 3000 fps. Of course 10 or 11 inches on a broadside shot will be through a huge bears heart. 20" would be the entire bear, double lunging him.

I would not have to go in the brush after the bear if I shot him. The bear in 1983 traveled about the length of his body and crashed in on his chin, and that was from a .270/130. If I was not 100% certain of the results I would not have touched the trigger. Therefore MY chances at 300yds would not be in any doubt.

Like I stated before, rifle power has nothing to do with killing. Destruction of an animal's heart causes swift death, whether it is done by a bullet with 6000 ftlbs or one with 1500 ftlbs Bears, just like all mammals, cannot survive but a few seconds with either no blood flow, no oxygen exchange, or a CNS that has ceased to function. He could not travel 300 yds if he even realized where the injury came from, but if the hunter were only 50 yds away......

In my experience it matters very little what you shoot an animal with as long as it is an adequate caliber. Destroying an adequate amount of the correct tissue is dependent on the shooter. What is adequate is subject to opinion. I choose to believe those that say a proper .284-.311 bullet at 2000-2300 fps is plenty adequate for any living thing on earth.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
HV
I am looking at this a little differently...Are you looking for high velocity or a standard velocity and a light weight rifle...I like a stainless steel action and barrel and I have three choices of caliber a .280, .308 , .35 Whelen
The 280 is a great screamer and very lethal when shot placementis essential, .308 Marine snipers have showed this modern cartridge will do super with great bullets... .35 Whelen will be a crusher and will shoot a substantial bullet at a standard velocity but have a devistating effect on game and very good penetration...
My ideas...a little different....final choice is yours..

Mike

Freedom is not Free

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While there is nothing wrong with having one rifle for everything, it may not be the best decision.

I recall when I was stationed in Alaska in 1960-1964 there were those soldiers who would hunt the big bears with 30-06 or something similar. I know of a couple of cases where they lost the game.

I could not understand why when they had a chance to hunt game that they could never afford otherwise, they were too tight to go to the PX and buy a larger rifle. A M70 in those days was about $106.

If one ever gets a chance to go on a hunt for such game, he should invest in another rifle, such as a .338.

My own view is that for nearly all North American game a 30-06 is perfectly adequate. It is excellent for deer size game, and is acceptable of elk.
But if you get a chance to hunt Kodiak bear, get a bigger gun.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JerryM: I agree with you about rifles for Alaska. That aside, the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM are the most popular cartridges, leaving the rest behind by quite a large margin. I believe the 7mm magnum is next in line, then .375 H&H, and so on.

But when it comes to hunting grizzly bears, a great number of hunters leave the smaller guns at home. Another portion of hunters, usually Natives, rely on whatever rifle their families have been using for years. I don't see a problem there, since some of the experienced hunters who live out there in the "bush" know Nanook and other bears very well. The average bear hunter (urban resident, including myself), I believe should use the biggest gun they can shoot well. I would not mind using a .30-06 with some 200 to 220-grain bullets, but I feel much better when hunting moose in bear country...with my .338WM.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you stipulated a 22" barrel you left yourself only one logical choice, the 30-06 Springfield.....90 grs. to 220 gr., it will do it all...

I mostly shoot 26" barrels as I can shoot them better offhand, especially when using iron sights which I do a lot...therefore the 300 H&H is my choice for all around, but the 338 win is a close second or perhaps a tie.

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither the 30/06 or .338win mag can be classified as charge stoppers. Bears become dangerous,when they're at close range and the only thing that stops them is well constructed bullets reaching the spine or brain ,regardless of wether those pills are .30cal or .338cal. When loaded with 200 grain bullets,the 30/06 is going to penetrate like a .338,so that isn't an issue. Talk to any guide with experience hunting bears and having things go wrong, few of them blame caliber or bullet performance and fewer yet carry a .338 as a stopper. They blame shot placement. Keeping your shit together when the shot comes is what counts. I've been around grizzlies several times and not even a fucking ray gun is going to make you feel on top of things.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Cuz!

good post Steve!

I have a lot of calibers that I am fond of, I am a 6.5mm, then 6mm, then 7mm ( non mag) fan in that order.

However, I have two Winchester model 70s, one with a stainless barrel and wood stock and the other one is a Blue Barreled Wood Stock ( the common ones). Both are in 30/06. both carry a 4x /40mm objective scope. Although I love a bunch of my rifles more so than these two, if I had to give them all away ( talking big game rifles), but one caliber, then this is what I would keep.

If I had to keep something with just more punch, then I would keep my 338/06 in the same configuration as these two.

My favorite two rifles are a Winchester 70, that I had rebarreled to a heavy sporter 6.5 x 57 Mauser, with a 28 inch barrel, 3 x9 Nikon scope.
The second is a Winchester Featherweight with a factory laminated stock ( beautiful stock) and a 26 inch barrel, with a 3 x9 Leupold Scope. Caliber 6.5 x 55. [Cool] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote