New
Find
Notify
Tools

best bullet/caliber for whales
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
here is an example where a .416 would be at least a MINIMUM. i would also suggest a very magnum chambering and a very solid bullet.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A laser sighted 60mm harpoon cannon with a penthrite grenade tipped harpoon is what the Norwegians are using on minke whales. And the Greenlandic Inuit are using the same combo on their small quota of fin whales, which are the second largest of the rorquals at about 80 feet and 60 tons.

A rifle is just used to ensure death as the whale is winched alongside the catcher boat.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up here most of the folks use a 4 or 8 bore black powder shoulder fired gun to deliver an exploding projectile at close range. From what I've seen and read, it is very dangerous. I am not allowed to participate, but I really want to. The projectile penetrates the baleen whale and then explodes inside the beast, resulting in a quick clean kill. This is big game hunting. I have seen a shop in Barrow that sells the exploding projectiles. I love America.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as is probably obvious, i started this topic as a joke!

great to see some "bona fide" answers!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote