Find
Notify
Tools

Which Caliber?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
IF you were to use just one caliber for all North America big game hunting AND that cailber had to be a European caliber what would you choose & why?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H magnum.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I agree with 375H&H. Because it is the ultimate do anything caliber. Big enough for bears or moose, decent ballistics, not overly punishing recoilwise. If England, the home of the H&H isn't European enough for you, then I would choose the 9.3x62 for the same reasons.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would choose the 9,3x64 a little more versatile than the x62

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
IMHO With out a doubt, 375 H&H

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with 375 H&H if it has to be a European caliber.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 or 375 H&H

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not European; British but we will let it slide. England,Ireland & Scotland are not considered part of Europe.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two outstanding would be 9.3x74R in an appropriate double rifle either side -by-side of more appropriately over and under OR one of these three "8s" - 8x60S, 8x64S or 8x68 with a proper sensible barrel length of AT LEAST 24"!

In fact I reckon that my Belgian FN Mauser in 8x60S with a 25" barrel would pretty much do. Ammunition availability aside I even think that I'd prefer it to my .270 Parker Hale as I could use military FMJ bullets for any turkeys!

Is the bison no longer on the shootable list in North America BTW?

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we are still killin buff

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why a European caliber? 30/06 would kill anything that moves. Big Grin European caliber? the old 8x 57 would do just as well. Funny all you .375 guys live in places, where there is no Really big game. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why a European caliber?

Cause its my question Grizzly Big Grin
I was also noticing the 375 thingy. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd go with that famous European caliber the 270 Winchester.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck Doug, I would use YOUR old 375 H&H in the fine Winchester Model 70 Wink

I sure like that rifle, it's a shooter too!

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of .Dirty-.30
posted Hide Post
I read about the 9.3x62 and was quite impressed by it. It was stated it had an edge over the .35whelen, which is a powerful cartridge capable of gunning down any critter in N.A. I would take that cartridge and hunt within its applications without worry. jmo .DT

If you shoot a Marlin, you should be on Marlinowners.com

Posts: 21 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The 358 Norma Magnum would be a contender, if just looking at cartridge design and not availability.

Meself, I'd probably follow Elmer Keith's example/proto-advice and get
one of them 338 Lapuas.

I like something flatter than the 375HH, even though the 375 is truly great.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
European 9.3x70 or 9.3x64
Scandanavian 358 Norma or 338 Lapua
British 350 Rigby or 450/400 NE

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny all you .375 guys live in places, where there is no Really big game.

No offense intended, but that is what airplanes are for. Smiler

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
IF you were to use just one caliber for all North America big game hunting AND that cailber had to be a European caliber what would you choose & why?

For me, a 9.3x62 will do.
Why? I am not into the real heavy recoiling rifles any longer. It's geriatric thing... jumping
The defining caliber here is something that will decisively down a big Brown Bear, or a Polar Bear.
And, I used to date a girl who grew up in Alaska where her Dad was a fishing guide. He also hunted and killed Brown Bear with a 30-06.
Based on that, I don't think a 375 H&H Mag is really required. It would definitely be better to use one, but I think the 9.3x62 would get the job done, with its lighter recoil.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck Doug, I would use YOUR old 375 H&H in the fine Winchester Model 70

I sure like that rifle, it's a shooter too!

tu2 tu2

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Getting down to basics and recoil, we can simplify the above:

for all North America one would prefer somethings that throws 250 grain pellets for big bears (maybe 225 grain in a TSX type bullet).

Since it can't be American by definition of the question, the 338 WM is ruled out. (Ditto for the 35 Whelen and 350 Rem.)

So the 338 Lapua, 9.3x62, 358 Norma, 350 Rigby all qualify. The 375HH, too, even overqualified.

The next question is how fast do we want to throw the pellet? What kind of distance do you require, including Rocky Mountain elk and pronghorn on the prairie?

The 9.3 and 350 Rigby (traditionally
loaded) will shoot at reasonable, yet 'moderate' velocities. If you want the same bullet to work easily at longer ranges, 250-400 yards, then you will need to step up to the magnums, (and/or hand load the 350 Rigby to its potential). The Lapua would allow 3000+ velocities in lighter bullets, which should do just fine for most distance work. That is alot of gun for many people, but a very nice gun.

I've always been partial to the 338 WM, but that's a money issue. It comes in standard, factory rifles. The Tikka T3 Hunter is a great European rifle. Very accurate and modestly priced. The only calibre offered from those mentioned above is the 9.3x62. It is maybe the mildest recoiling of the lot. (Though, they all go 'bang', I can't see a real difference in recoil when hunting.)

So
if I had $700 + a tough scope,
was required to use one rifle,
and to use a European designed calibre,
anchored to North America,
I guess that I would go buy a Tikka 9.3x62.
And just sneak up on pronghorn and elk like a good hunter.

[[But a custom 338 Lapua would truly do it all, should someone be gracious enough to supply one.]]

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to say the 9.3x64 Brenneke as I have two of them.

But wouldn't a 300 H&H do a pretty good job?

Next choice would be an 8mm of some type. I have to admit I have not given the 8's much study.

What is the most popular 8mm cartridge in Europe?

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Since I am already using it anyway, 9.3x62 is a no brainer for me.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
Since I am already using it anyway, 9.3x62 is a no brainer for me.

+1

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Model 70 .300 H&H 3x9 leupold as most of my hunting is deer, antelope, elk.

second choice or first choice if I lived in Alaska would be my .375 H&H

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pick 6.5x55 with proper shot placement
this cal.
will kill any animal on this side of the pond.
doing it with way less recoil that a 375
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to pick my 300 win mag`s parent 300h&h but if I wanted to go big its 416 rigby I love mine

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
for Will,
I love my 416 rigby, too. But it is quite a bit heavier than my other rifles.
While I've no problem walking the African bush with one 416 Rigby, and like Selby, I would choose it if limited to one calibre, I just can't see it in NA with so many lighter weight rifles available, like a 338 Lapua. But both of these options disappear if one wants a sub-$1000 basic hunting rig.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
8x68 S.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If it had to be a Continental caliber then I guess I would have to say 7x64/7x65R. I know that isn't recommended for the big bears. But choosing one round for everything from bobcat to grizzly would force one to make some compromises. The 7x64 is perfect for deer and elk, could work for bobcat and coyote, and would be adequate for everything short of big bears although it would probably do about as good a job on them as a 30-06. I will probably never hunt grizzly so its suitability for that doesn't matter to me.

If a UK round could have been considered I'd have said .300H&H.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7mm Mauser (7x57) -f I can't have my 375 H&H -about which nothing need to be said -unless T-Rex has come back to N.America -in which event I want a 76HV recoilless rifle!)Smiler Yes, I know there is the brown bear and (worse) the grizzly - but I trust the 7mm's tremendous penetration -all the while preserving bullet integrity. God forbid I ever should face a grizzly,but a rifle firing that cartridge (and opportunity for a quick follow up shot because of mild recoil),I think gives a best chance for survival.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 416 tanzan my 416 rigby is the tc encore pro hunter so its actually the same wait as my other guns and sub $1000 but that said I can`t imagine hitting a white tail deer with one

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
My choice would be the 8x63 Swedish. A bit larger case diameter than the 06 case & plenty of power.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
I have thought about his some in the past, and I beleive I would take the 35 Whelen or 338 Win Mag. Of those 2 now, with the lighter weight Barnes TTSX available for the 338 WM, I am leaning that way...slightly.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not European; British but we will let it slide. England,Ireland & Scotland are not considered part of Europe.

Uh, they are a part of the EU..... Confused

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh, they are a part of the EU

Thats right although they are the British Isles.
They do not consider themseves as part of Europe.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Uh, they are a part of the EU

Thats right although they are the British Isles.
They do not consider themseves as part of Europe.

That depends on who you ask over there. Many definitely consider themselves part of Europe.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote