New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 for me. But my 9.3 x 74R necked up to .375 would certainly do for most applications.
WYLD

Posts: 43 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I refuse to accept the premise of yet another rediculously dumb ass question.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
yuck

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
Since I am already using it anyway, 9.3x62 is a no brainer for me.

if somebody just could start making a good BC 220gr deer/sheep bullet for it.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can me and my dusty old 1918 .303 smelly ( 150's & 215's )play too?? jumping

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To All,

I treasure my Remington Model 760 that Jessie at JES remodeled for me from .30-06 to 9.3x62 Mauser.= At 200M the 760 will cut one big ragged hole with 5 rounds of 275 grain Prvi Partizan ammo, if I do my part.
(The 760 is THE rifle that will make the trip to southern Africa next Fall for Cape Buffalo, plains game & HOPEFULLY, a leopard. - The old 9.3x62mm is considered, by hunters, who have far more experience than I, to be FULLY SUITABLE for elephant.)
NOTE: I currently load both a 285 grain GCCB (at about 1900FPS) & JSP (at about 2300 FPS) for the 9.3x62mm.

That said, I'm currently considering buying a "near new" CZ 550 LH in .375 H&H (which has as handsome of a stock as any factory rifle that I've yet seen.), just because I've always wanted a "controlled-feed" BIG GAME rifle that works for a Southpaw.
(IF I do buy the CZ 550 LH, I will take 2 rifles on the hunting trip.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, LtCol, comdt
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836

Posts: 3 | Location: The Alamo City of Texas | Registered: 14 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
375 H&H, if not that, 9.3x74.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5X284 Norma Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, if we can all agree Scandinavia is part of northern Europe,
I throw my hat into the:

358 Norma ring.

Love those 35s! tu2

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had paid attention, this discussion was started and ended in 2010!

Why are people resurrecting discussions that tookj place 8 years back????

Isn't it bad enough that is taking place in the Crater???????

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you had the money to hunt all of the big game in north america you cold probable afford more than one rifle.

Posts: 61 | Location: Fallbrook, Ca | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
7X64 Sharpe and Hart

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorseconsulting,

Perhaps they responded to the thread because (like me for example) they didn't bother to look a the date AND/OR they simply didn't care.

WHY do you care when the thread started?? - It seems to be a really small thing to get all worked up over.

yours, tex
USAMPR, Retired

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836

Posts: 3 | Location: The Alamo City of Texas | Registered: 14 August 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I wish I had paid attention, this discussion was started and ended in 2010!

Why are people resurrecting discussions that tookj place 8 years back????

Isn't it bad enough that is taking place in the Crater???????

I didn't catch it either... maybe you can talk your buddy Saeed into closing threads that exceed a certain age... or have been beat to death so badly you can't possible follow it..

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WHY do you care when the thread started?? - It seems to be a really small thing to get all worked up over.

I am not "Worked Up" over anything just curious why resurrect a discusion that is 8 years old and the responses are basically the same as those from 8 years ago!

quote:
maybe you can talk your buddy Saeed into closing threads that exceed a certain age

First, Saeed is not my buddy, it is his site and he can do whatever he damn well pleases.

Second, peoples opinions have not changed all that much in 8 years!

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Yes buy it was enlightening to see how erudite I was even 8 years ago. Big Grin
I'm even smarter now!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I agree with Crazy Horse that it was beat up years ago. Why drone on about this topic when a lot of it is preferenced based.
quote:
quote:

I am not "Worked Up" over anything just curious why resurrect a discusion that is 8 years old and the responses are basically the same as those from 8 years ago!

quote:
maybe you can talk your buddy Saeed into closing threads that exceed a certain age

First, Saeed is not my buddy, it is his site and he can do whatever he damn well pleases.

Second, peoples opinions have not changed all that much in 8 years!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons people get tired or bored with internert forums is because of repetitive discussions on topics that have no definitive answer.

Which caliber for what animal(s) is wide open to opinions based on personal experiences/beliefs, with the only limiting factors I can think of at this point in time involves mandated regulations from the various Game depts. concerning bullet weight/diameter.

Seems like it would be easier and faster instead of digging thru past discussions to simply start a new thread on the subject.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

[QUOTE] maybe you can talk your buddy Saeed into closing threads that exceed a certain age

I know hes not your buddy..I was being a bit sarcastic... As a "superposter", Saeed seems to often respond to many of your posts, so by "buddy" I was implying that it seems you have his ear, and he may listen to a suggestion coming from you more so than me.

NRA Benefactor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. As a "superposter",

If you will go down to the miscellaneous topics forum, you will notice that I wish the number of posts any member makes would NOT be listed.

Look at your comment, what is accomplished for anyone by making that accusation????????

Care to explain?

Saeed and Don will evaluate any members comments. Just because some of us are more prone to voice our opinion than others, that is not our fault.

I learned a long time ago, that if a person is capable of forming an opinion on a subject, they need to be willing to state that opinion.

In my opinion, listing the number of posts anyone has made causes people to make the type comments you did!

What does anyones post count have to do with any subject???? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Just stick to the subject of the discussion and like so many discussions on here or any other site, there is only so many times the performance of a .30-06 can be re-hashed.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
. As a "superposter",

If you will go down to the miscellaneous topics forum, you will notice that I wish the number of posts any member makes would NOT be listed.

Look at your comment, what is accomplished for anyone by making that accusation????????

Care to explain?

Saeed and Don will evaluate any members comments. Just because some of us are more prone to voice our opinion than others, that is not our fault.

I learned a long time ago, that if a person is capable of forming an opinion on a subject, they need to be willing to state that opinion.

In my opinion, listing the number of posts anyone has made causes people to make the type comments you did!

What does anyones post count have to do with any subject???? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Just stick to the subject of the discussion and like so many discussions on here or any other site, there is only so many times the performance of a .30-06 can be re-hashed.

The term "superposter" was not intended to insult or denigrate in any way. Forgive me if you took it that way. It justs seems to me that whatever forum I look at, you seem to be there making a comment.. Similar interests probably?
And I have been on this forum for many years, and I never noticed the number of posts was there! And I agree with you, it adds no value.

And I agree with you about the venerable 06 too... how much can it be re-hashed?

SAEED: please close dead threads!.

NRA Benefactor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The term "superposter" was not intended to insult or denigrate in any way. Forgive me if you took it that way. It justs seems to me that whatever forum I look at, you seem to be there making a comment.. Similar interests probably?

But it IS an Insult and it DOES NOT add anything to a discussion.

I have been a hunter since 1967, and I think I have hunted enough to be able to express my opinion on the subject!

As I stated, posting the number of posts any member has only causes problems and yes I believe that with 52+ years of hunting experience I do have an interest in the subject!

posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

CHUCKLE.

Imo, those who would criticize which posts that others respond or don't respond to would do well to heed the wise words of Ernest Hemingway about WHY "critics" choose to become "critics".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
8x57.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
8x68S
Will handle anything in NA

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5x55 and it has always done a good job.

At one point I gave serious thought to a 9.3x74, but I already had a .375 H&H.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375LVR:
quote:
Funny all you .375 guys live in places, where there is no Really big game.

No offense intended, but that is what airplanes are for. Smiler

My thoughts exactly! Maybe he thinks all the African hunters live in Africa!

If I could have only one rifle for big game any place in the world it would be a FN Mauser with iron sights, and a variable scope with a one to five power, and mounted in quick detach return to zero rings and bases, chambered for 375H&H shooting 300 gr Nosler partitions.

I live in the USA but as 375LVR said that is what airplanes are for!

//////////// 375 H&H one rifle for the world!

………………………………………………………………. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad Elmer Keith isn't around to give his opinion!!!!!

What is there about letting the INDIVIDUAL decide for themselves on what they choose to hunt with that bothers people????

Are you buying their guns or ammunition???

Are you paying for their Hunting License???

Are you paying for the processing fees of the game they kill???

Why can't people simply use what pleases them???