New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Alaskan hideaway
 Login/Join

<jagtip>
posted
In the early 70's,I built and occupied a cabin deep in the bush of Alaska and long to return.Since several who post here live in Alaska and several more travel there,I thought this might be a good place to do a web search.I'm looking for a secluded spot for a cabin where I can legally homestead or at least a parcel of land that will be priced low.The more secluded,the better and near or in wooded terrain.Any leads or help will be most appreciated....With Regards.....jagtip

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Don't know about homesteading but I'm sure there are lots of places for a cabin. Problem is Alaska is big. If Alaska was cut in half, Texas would be the third largest state. So I can hardly help much. I always look around on " Realtor.com " and search by map.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
Out of sight,out of mind....I'm just bringing it back to the top fellas.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe homesteading land is not longer available the way it used to be. Now the State, and sometimes the boroughs sell parcels of land one can buy. I have seen some parcels where the land cost somewhere around $4,000 per acre, and these were at remote places accessible by boats during the summer, and snow mobiles during the winter.

Sometimes parcels such as those can be purchased on some type of drawing. It means that only those who win the price can have the land. The ones who don't win lose the money. If I well remember, the tickes for the drawing cost around $50.00.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
you could spend as much time as you wanted at the military base on adak and you wouldn't have to buy anything. it's as remote as you can get and you'd have your own caribou heard to hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry! No more land available in the Great White North.

(just teasing)

Have a good one!!

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you want to "live off the land" you either need to be indepently wealthy, or willing to live dirt poor, though likely both.

There is no more homesteading, so you have to buy the land, and have enough $ to ship in whatever building materials and amenities you want. If you have road access, land is much more exspensive, if you are off the road, then shipping stuff in gets you.

That was our dream when moving up here, reality hit, we are in the subburbs, have a mortgage and car payement. We were already in debt when we moved up, so couldn't buy land free and clear, and spend the time to build a log cabin.

Probably the best compromise is to get a 2 week on, 2 week off oil field job, you'll have the $ and time needed to get started, then when you're set up, you can get going.

You could probably get started with $20-30k, buy the land, and put together a small cabin.

Also, what type of game do you want near to you? There is lots of game, and fish in the state, but not in the same area. Are you looking for coast line, river front, way in the boonies? How long do you want your winter, and how cold?

Low prices for land are $500-1000 an acre, add in road access, and you are up to $3-5k an acre.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
Coastal Land:

Just sold a small (50 ft. x 60 ft.) water front lot in a remote village (accessable by plane or boat only) of S.E. Alaska. Not only was the lot small, it was covered by water on high tide, (any building would have to be on tall pilings). Sold for $60,000. Yep, you figure it out on a per acre base, and you come up with about $900,000 per acre! No free lunches here in S.E.!

<jagtip>
posted
For what it's worth,I built my cabin nearly 30 years ago in N.E.Alaska.Nearest town was Eagal.Lived there close to 3 years.Was younger then and didn't mind thumbing my nose at big brother.Still don't mind thumbing my nose at him but getting older and a bit less daring.I don't mean to be rude but I don't need lectures about what I can't do when I've already done it.I do appreciate the replies and if anyone thinks they know of anything,I'd be thankful upon hearing about it....Much thanks....Regards....jagtip

<jagtip>
posted
JoelS......The web site you relayed to me is received with great interest.Thank you very much....jagtip

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I am thinking the same thing I will retire in around 5 years. I will be around 47 not to old,I want to move to Alaska to hunt and enjoy life as much as I can.I also like the woods,but want a place that I have the chance to hunt the best the state has.I feel some times that many people in Alaska do not want anyone to come up there,maybe they feel it will get to over populated.I do not known,but most people who want to go there are people who want the same thing as the people in Alaska do. THANKS,KEV

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Kev,

I've found Alaskans to be about the friendliest folks you'll ever meet.

Now, if their responses to your questions seem discorouging, its because they are being honest, not trying to keep all the goods to themselves.

To thoroughly enjoy the hunting in the state is very exspensive, plain and simple. There is no single location that offers all the variety of fish and game. The greater Anhcorage area offers one access to a central airport, so perhaps it could be percieved as the best location. Asside from that, you'll be looking at a location that will offer a few species of game animal, and perhaps fish.

Thats the truth, now come on up and see for yourself. Even though I don't hunt nearly as much as I'd like, I couldn't live anywhere else on earth, it is a great place to live.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
You simply can't do it,without living like a dog,on the cheap. Real Estate is horrid expensive. Building supplies are horrid. Freight is horrid. Utilities/fuel are horrid. Food is horrid. Vehicles are horrid. Boats worse. Aircraft worse yet.

Alaska is incredible in it's splendor(and it's expense). If you want to squat,that is your business and if you term that as "living",have at it. You will find that Alaska has changed and ALL those changes are expensive.

For what it cost me to fly to the Mainland(30min Bush flight),folks in California,can fly to Florida round trip. Do not confuse my relaying you the facts,as my contemplating to leave Alaska(ever). I'm content to make the monetary sacrifices it takes,to raise my Family here and to do on a daily basis,what others can only dream of.

SE appealed to me,for my line of work and for the greatest diversity of Outdoors opportunities. I have Deer,Black Bear,Brown Bear,Elk,Mountain Goat,Moose and Wolf readily available. The Fishing is beyond compare. The weather happens to be the most forgiving,as well. Today,it was 50 degrees. Tomorrow,rest assured,it will be different(grin).

Do not for a second,expect to reap ANY of those attributes,on a shoestring budget. It simply can NOT be done.

The Ferry System is full of folks,this time of year,who had similar visions only last Summer(grin). Their tails are now fully tucked and they are leaving flat broke,in search of another "cheap" place to live...............

<Daryl Douthat>
posted
I concur with the comments about the expense of living in remote areas. I spend a bunch of time in pretty remote places(have cabins and do some trapping) and the people who used to "live off the land" are pretty much gone. I'm not sure how you got your cash income 30 years ago in Interior Alaska but given fur prices now and the lack of any other opportunities deep in the wilderness, it won't be easy. To make a few thousand bucks from fur you have to kill the country. The people who are still trying to do it are living pretty close to the edge and unless you enjoy poverty it ain't much fun. If one has an adequate retirement income or nest egg, there are lots of remote places available. People tend to build some nice places in remote areas, stay a few years or months and retreat to more convenient and less expensive locations. (For example, getting to one of my one cabins by riverboat is 250 miles each way and costs several hundred dollars per trip when one includes maintainence costs.) Snogos are no longer several hundred dollars, they are now several thousand and a dog team is also pretty expensive. In conclusion, bring lots of money and it will all work out fine.

<Cobalt>
posted
You guys are certainly correct in that Alaskans are some of the most friendly people in the world. I was in Fairbanks Jan-Mar of '97. The conversation was either about just returning from a hunt or planning the next or rifles or riverboats. Those aluminum boats with Ford V-8's are primo! Fairbanks is like a looking glass into what the western lower 48 was in the 30's and 40's. Unspoiled! Cobalt