New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best "standard" bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I wanted everyone's input on what they consider the "best" 180 grain Non-premium bullet for elk/moose in the 30.06, and why that bullet is their choice

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to say the 180gr. hornady interlock. They are built fairly stoutly, have a inner belt or "interlock" that helps to prevent the core from seperating from the jacket. They are generally very accurate, and are reasonably priced. They are the closest to what one would consider a "premium" bullet in my opinion.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
While there are much better (premium) bullets, for the money it's hard to beat the game performance of the plain old Remington Core-Lokt. Sierra's are much more accurate in most guns and Hornady's perform just about as well as the Rem. on game, but I have dug hundreds of Remington Core-Lokts out of animals that had mushroomed well and retained a decent amount of weight. I supply all my loaner rifles (and most of my loaner ammunition) with Core-Lokts.
Have fun,
Kyler

------------------
Being ready is good, being safe is great, being both is tough.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Hornady 180 Interlock

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Hornady Interlok. I actually heard could be rumor that Hornady makes the Corelokt for Remington.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny... where you been? You ever go to the Marlin board any more? ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<ultramag>
posted
I would have to say the Remington Core-Lokt.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Make mine Hornady Inter Locks too.

And yes, Hornady does make a LOT of Remington's "Core Lokts".

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
File a "Interlock" in half for me and tell me if it looks like the picture in the Hornady ads.

The picture shows that the candelure indents into the lead core. Does yours?

To make a holder to file a bullet in half just whittle a shallow shape of the bullet in a piece of wood and drive a finshing nail where the bullet base will lie. File towards the base.

<X-Ring>
posted
I would say Hornady "Interlocks". I will also say that the "Core locks" from Remington is also a fine bullet. A lot of folks don't seem to know you can get them as a componant, but you can. Just check out Midway.
I have also had great results on deer and elk with "Ballistic tips" and at the price I don't know that they would be a "premium" bullet.
Don Martin
It's been years sense I last filed a interlock down, but they used to have a pronounced interlock ring. I can only hope you just got a bad lot.Man I hope that's the case. I hate to think they cheapened up a great bullet.
X-Ring aka Scooter

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington Corelokts and Hornadys interlock but why? Nosler Partitions are very little more and you can even buy 2nds for less than the Remingtons or Hornadys and the 2nds work just as well....besides if you can't afford the difference in a box of Noslers and Hornadys then you can't afford the gas to go hunting....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Hornady Interlock is the best standard "cup" bullet out there. For a 30-06, they'll work fine.

<ultramag>
posted
Why Core-Lokt. Because he asked about non-premium. I think most would consider the partition a premium bullet. In theory, I agree with you. I mean why go through all the reloading steps to make the best cartridge you can to pursue the quarry then not use the best bullet available for the job.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultra, I agree with you completely. Back when I fished bass tournies, a fellow would have a $25,000.00 rig -no cost overlooked- and would want to buy 29cent a hundred yards mill end line to put on his reel. That said, I would go with the Hornadys.

[This message has been edited by beemanbeme (edited 01-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by beemanbeme (edited 01-15-2002).]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<ringneck>
posted
Ray.. where can I find some partition seconds for sale like you were talking about?

Thanks,
Shawn

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have cut an Interlock in half, and the cannelure does indent into the lead. No evidence, but it seems reasonable that the indentation would help hold the bullet and jacket together. I give Interlocks a "thumbs up".

That said, I like Speer better. Their HotCor design pours molten lead into a copper jacket, and the lead alloys with the copper to form a bond. Seems to me that the bond might be a little stronger than the Interlock, and the flat base HotCors have almost exactly the same BC as the Hornady Interlock boat tails.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as you stay away from conventional boattails, most of the "non-premium" 180 grain .30's will perform similarly. I might lean toward the Sierra.

In a conventional boattail, there is a stronger tendency for the core to separate from the jacket due to the taper at the rear. A flat-base tends to hold together a little better.

The old Nosler Solid Base (and now Ballistic Tip) don't have this weakness due to the construction of the solid guilding metal boattail. The Ballistic Tip, of course, is rather frangible otherwise, which would make it not the best choice for heavy game. On the other hand, if you run across some old-style Nosler solid bases, they would do fine.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nosler "seconds" can be purchased through their retail store, ph# 541-312-2506
I just bought some 200gr 30cal partitions for 1/2 of what the normal price would be. Similar savings can be had on most other calibers and styles. These bullets look and shoot as great as the "first line" bullets of identical model.
WHY use a tin foil jacketed bomb when you can shoot a great bullet for the same price?

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler partitions are the best non-premium bullet.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Sunny>
posted
Lapua Mega is a great bullet. Try to find it at www.lapua.com. Hope you can buy them in the US. It`s much better than Hornady and Remington bultets.

[This message has been edited by Sunny (edited 01-15-2002).]

<ringneck>
posted
Thanks for the number John.

Shawn

<jeremy w>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
....besides if you can't afford the difference in a box of Noslers and Hornadys then you can't afford the gas to go hunting....

Thats the smartest thing I've read in a long time

one of us
posted Hide Post
Point well taken on the Noslers.
However factory loads with Noslers run $40.. where I live. A bit hard to swallow.
Maybe I should reload.

Still, having said that, can ANYONE tell me of a bullet failure they had with a 180 grain power-point, a 180 Grain Core-lock, or a 180 grain Interlock?? How common are "failures" in a 180 grainer out of the 30.06??

<heavy varmint>
posted
I never had what you could call a failure but I did take a 5 yard shot at a deer with a 300Win mag useing a 180 grain core lokt, never expected such a close shot from the ground, never even aimed, just pointed and shot. Bullet went in just behind the shoulder and did pretty much what I was expecting it to do, basicly obliviated everything back to and including a good portion of the liver. It did exit though.

Just a small buck, never had any intintions of shooting him until he displayed suicidel tendancys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load and shoot Interlocks and consider them very good performers. Shot my first deer this fall w/ my handloaded 165 grain BTSP 30-06 and it worked perfectly @ 45 yards. Destroyed the lungs and removed the top of the heart. No bullet found.
I did have a problem several years ago that I guess should be called a fluke as I haven't heard any other explanation.
Same 30-06 rifle w/ 165 gr Hornady custom BTSP factory amunition. 168 yard shot (lazered) at a standing mule deer doe who was slightly quartering tward me. Solid rest, good shot made etc. Aimed at the point of her shoulder. At the shot, she jumped and kicked similar to heart shot deer. Trotted for 20 yards before slowing to a walk and out of site. Took over 1/2 hour to walk the gulch to the site where I found alot of blood and 13 Bloody beds in a row. She ended up circling across her own path and walking back tward the point where I had shot from. I just couldn't believe she wasn't laying around the next tree. Over an hour later, I jumper her, but couldn't get a shot off. After waiting another hour, I proceded to trail her for another 2 or 2 1/2 miles where she walked within 45 yards of camp and eventually onto private land w/ no access and very little blood trail any longer. Unfortunatly the deer was lost. Every sign we found from blood trail to tracks showed that she had been hit exactly where I aimed. I think the bullet either came apart on the bone or glanced off creating only a very messy flesh wound.
Although I have done it in the past, I no longer will shoot through a shoulder, even though I do believe it is a makeable shot with the 30-06.
Any idea's what might of happened? I have wondered if a failsafe, TBBC, or Nosler Partition could of left the same result. Without recovering the deer, there is no way to tell, but I have no reason to believe the bullet didn't hit within 2" of my aiming point.

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best non-premium is the Hornady Interlock....
Hmmmmmm didn't know that Nosler sold seconds of their Partition bullet line..Hard to beat a Partiton bullet..

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have an idea what might of happened with that Mule deer doe I shot? Details are a few responses above. I don't thing bullet failure was to blame, but I just don't know. Hard to say without an autopsy.

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I like the Sierras for non-premium loads best but must add that I have yet to recover one to analize. Not because it blew up but rather because they have exited. This last year I used them in a 7mm Rem Mag, 140gr Gamekings, pushed by 67.3 gr of RL19. The shots were just a little past a hundred yards, the first was slightly quartering away and the second broadside. Both passed through and did a lot of damage. I was actually shocked it didn't tip over at the first shot. After opening it up and seeing the damage from the first shot I was even more surprised that it didn't go down quicker.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigNate,
You had pass-through on elk, or moose?
Or deer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ringneck,
I get them at the same place that John quoted.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<ringneck>
posted
Ray.. Thanks for the tip. I ordered 300 140 grain partition seconds for my 7x57 and they should be here any day. At around $10.70 for 50 I can't complain.

Shawn

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Johnny Ringo, Sorry about not filling in the info. The 7mag 140's were on a mule deer, I have had pass through on elk with 250 gr in my .338. I haven't used my '06 on elk since getting my .338 squared away! Your question was specific and I wasn't, sorry. In an '06 standard 180's will work fine but consider the range carefully. I still say Sierras first and then Horanadys but I agree with the statement that the bullets you load for the hunt are the cheapest part of your expenses. Personally I would recommend practicing with Sierras and hunting with the Partition. I wouldn't recommend hitting an elk or moose on the on-side shoulder with an '06. Hit them in the slats first and you'll get your animal. I know of one guide that said he believes an elk hit high in the lungs goes down faster than a heart shot. I'm not sure I agree but I have many more years of "research" to do so maybe someday I'll have the answer to that. Be careful to select a bullet that opens up at the velocity for the range. My Dad lost a huge bull many years ago by using shells his friend loaded for him. They were very heavy jacketed 200 or 220 gr. and they didn't expand at all. No blood, a few cut hairs was all and he was hit in the slats at least three times. Dad lost his tracks in the mess of the heards tracks and didn't find him before he had to go home. Some other guys found him two days later. Because of his loss I chose to get a bigger gun. I'm impressed with the .338 Win Mag on Elk. The bullet choice doesn't seem to be much of an issue either. Just my $.02 worth.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks BigNate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else??

How about the 180 Rem Core-lock , in either pointed or round-nose guise?

The Winchester 180 Power-point??

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best standard bullet for the .30-06 is the 180 Nosler Partition. Especially for elk or moose. The few nickels difference between a Hornady and the Partition isn't even worth worrying about.
FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote