New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best zero for big game rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With my 7mm Remington and 6mm-284, both are sighted about 2.7" at 100 yards, which yields MPBR of about 325 yards no more than 3" high or low. Every year the shots get shorter, and I'm more concerned with wind nowadays than distance.

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
Nebraska

It all depends on the type of terrain you will be hunting. Here in the northeast I sight all my rifles in at 100 yds dead on. In the thick forest here where I hunt most of my many kills have been taken within 50 - 60 yds, but that's here!!!! If your hunting flatlands and wide open praries where you can see for miles then go with the 200 -250 yd zero's. I've hunted in Manitoba high up in tree stands where you can see for thousands of yds over tremendous swap and brush areas and still the longest shot I've taken at game was 125 yds. I like to get the game as close as possible to take most of the variables out of the equation, like wind for instance. One who intends to shoot 300+ yds needs to practice at that distance in all kinds of weather. A 20 mph wind at 300 yds with a 270 might not go where you intend it to. I shoot alot at long ranges for practice and just to see what I can do, but when it's time to hunt the rifles go back to 100 yd zero's. This is just my way of doing things and my opinion, most of the other posters probably have more experience shooting at game at these long ranges. I prefer to get as close as possible wether it be calling or stalking. If I feel I can't make a shot, well, there's always tomorrow. I do alot of bowhunting before the rifle seasons here and I pattern the game. I'm in the field during the summer and all fall doing the homework. I don't always shoot the trophy, but I always have meat in the freezer. Maybe my bowhunting mentality has me always wanting to be close to my quarry. Wish you the best of luck and what I say is just my opinion.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote