New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dealing with high altitude??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had hunted in colorado numerous times and had never been sick or even bothered by the altitude. We packed back in on horses and our camp was at 9000 ft. I had been on a Bear hunt in Russia about 6 weeks earlier and was weak from a bout of intestinal trouble from a bug I caught over there. After 24 hours in the camp I turned green and was really sick. I hunted but took it really slow and finally made it through the hunt but it wasn't easy. I will have some Diamox
the next time I camp at 9000 or above. Once you experience this sickness it makes you wonder when it will hit you again. I'm sure my weak condition had a great deal to do with my getting so sick but most experts say it can happen to any age anytime.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to race road and mountain bikes on a national and sometimes international level. I lived at three different locations 2000ft, 5000ft, and 9500ft. I ride my bikes less now, but hunt/scout every opportunity I get. The issue of acclimating was everything from unknown, learned, and experienced in all its contexts including sickness that in most cases is remedied by getting DOWN the mountain.

Here is a few basics that I learned from myself and others (professional coaches, other riders, trainers, doctors, nutritionists, etc.).

The best thing to do is be in the best shape and as low of a body weight as possible without being unhealthy. The next is to acclimate for two weeks @ 7000ft or 5000ft higher than you currently sleep whichever is more (probably not practical, but still the best), starting with light activity 1 or 2 days in your first 3 days building slowly to a max level effort by the end of two weeks. Since two weeks is unlikely, three days is next best, again only light activity 1 or 2 times before your off. If you have to get off the plane and hunt, do the least strenuous for first 3 days and hope for the best and stay away from too much caffeine alcohol (not only do they dehydrate you, but alcohol puts a load on your liver which impacts you glycogen/energy levels dramatically - yes one scotch a night is too much, soak up the outdoors and leave the scotch home). In all situations, STAY hydrated (meaning never get behind). If your into asparin (I actually like Alleve) I would take it at the end of each day to reduce any swelling, headaches, and generally a better nights rest. Boots will be your best friend or worst enemy so choose them wisely. Don't forget the sunscreen and sunglasses and remember that you want to hunt slow and not fast.

The real trick is lots of water and don't over exert since recovery at altitude (where you have 40% or less oxygen than your used to) is the biggest challenge.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to live on the Mt. south of Casper, Wy. according to my GPS, the elevation there is around 8600 ft. When I originally moved up there in 1976, I didn't expect any altitude problems, coming from Casper at 5200. I quickly learned that it took awhile to acclimate, getting altitude sickness a few days after moving from jogging. I still own the house up there, and I went down there last month to clean up the property of fallen trees and slash. Going from North Dakota to the Mt. was not really a problem, but the hard work really slowed me down, and I got a headache daily, mostly from dehydration I suspect.

For me the lack of oxygen takes weeks to get used to, and the physical exertion of hunting or hard work at altitude is more demanding than our daily workouts, except if you're a competitive athlete. I got so tired elk hunting a few years ago, that it took me months to fully recover. As my age increases(52), recovery is the hard part.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote